• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sorry...I've had it!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
People, please do not start jumpseat wars.

The jumpseat is not a politcal tool.

For every guy you deny, all you are doing is costing him time away from his family and money for a hotel. You may also be costing one of your own a ride in the future.

Most airlines give the pilots great flexibility in the use of the jumpseat. Do we want to start petty wars and give managements the opportunity to get involved and take away this great benefit?

We are having a national JS coordinators meeting next month in Maryland. Now is a great time to talk to your committee people so they can talk to their counterparts face-to-face.

If you ever have a problem on AWA, please PM me and we will be all over it.
We always accept multiple riders. With CASS----all Airbus have 2 cockpit seats. Most 757's and 737's have two seats too. Just make sure you have your passport.

Another solution

IB6--

I agree that starting jumpseat wars just escalates the situation and solves nothing. Here's what I would do in your shoes:

A NWA solicites the JS on your flight and you have room for him. I would allow him on board, and when he comes up to the cockpit to introduce himself, give him a slip of paper with the NWA Captain's name, ID#, and details of your incident. As a condition of your JS, have him agree to drop this guy a personal note letting him know how much he appreciated the JS on JetBlue and what a bad stench he is casting over the NWA pilot group. You take the high road, but you can have some satisfaction in knowing that the offending Captain is facing SOME consequence from his actions. Granted, the leopard will probably not change his spots, but the main goal here I think is to keep all of the RATIONAL Captains at both airlines from shutting down their jumpseats.

Those saying that complaints to the NWA JS Coordinator are falling on deaf ears are incorrect. The NWA/National JS Coordinator (Dan G.) has done what he can. He has no power to force people to offer jumpseats, nor does he have the power to punish someone that denies jumpseats. The most he can do is call up the offending Captain and ask nicely that he not be a jerk anymore. What exactly do you guys expect him to do? The jumpseat belongs to the Captain and he can do with it what he pleases. If he wants to be a tool and deny jumpseats to guys, then that's his choice. Make a formal complaint to your JS Coordinator and then pass the guy's name around. As said earlier though, it's unlikely that the guys doing this will care if their names are passed around because they usually aren't commuters.

well?

PCL_128 said:
Those saying that complaints to the NWA JS Coordinator are falling on deaf ears are incorrect. The NWA/National JS Coordinator (Dan G.) has done what he can. He has no power to force people to offer jumpseats, nor does he have the power to punish someone that denies jumpseats. The most he can do is call up the offending Captain and ask nicely that he not be a jerk anymore. What exactly do you guys expect him to do? The jumpseat belongs to the Captain and he can do with it what he pleases. If he wants to be a tool and deny jumpseats to guys, then that's his choice. Make a formal complaint to your JS Coordinator and then pass the guy's name around. As said earlier though, it's unlikely that the guys doing this will care if their names are passed around because they usually aren't commuters.

PCL128 is correct.

The NWA JS coordinator is a real good guy, and will go above and beyond to resolve probems. Like I said before, he has helped me fix a couple of problems that I found out about on this board involving denied JS with other carriers.

However, he can call Captain XYZ, discuss the incident, & Captain XYZ can do as he wishes. The entire NWA organization is comprised of individuals, with differing opinions. The actions of a few do not reflect the disposition of the entire group.

320AV8R

What does your NWA GOM/FOM say:

I was wandering what NWA GOM/FOM says about jumpseating. Or NWA's ALPA policy on jumpseating. I would bet it says something like "A jumpseat can be denied for weight and balance issues, safety of flight and carriers not on the approved jumpseat list". If your appoved then there should be no issues.

Hope things work out for this fellow at NW. Hope this fellow never has to look for work at B6, like a lot of other furloughed folks (NW, UAL, DAL, AAA, ATA, AA) who now have a job at B6.

Cheers!

PCL_128 said:
The jumpseat belongs to the Captain and he can do with it what he pleases. If he wants to be a tool and deny jumpseats to guys, then that's his choice. Make a formal complaint to your JS Coordinator and then pass the guy's name around.
Jeese, is it just me or does this sound completely spineless?

The jumpseat may belong to the captain, but doesn't the captain belong to the company?

Maybe my military background is coming out again, but I'd have this guy standing tall before the man.

But then this captain would probably run to ALPA and cry about his mistreatment by the chief pilot and the infringement upon his "rights".

This behavior is either right or wrong. If it is right, then so be it. If it is wrong, correct it.

IB6,

Please pass the name of the NWA Captain to someone you know at SWA. I know I don't want to fly with this Jackass.

320--I appreciate your concern on this issue. TWA pilots "ate $h!t for a decade and they never--NOT ONCE, used the jumpseat as a tool to vent their frustration.

If they had, if the jumpseat committee couldn't stop this behavior, the management pilots would have. (I have virtually no respect for the TWA management pilots who worked under Icahn. The one shred of decency they retained was respect for the jumpseat.)

There is NO EXCUSE for this action. The inability of your jumpseat to curb this behavior is merely the first speedbump on the road to stopping these scumbags from violating the last bastion of respect for fellow airline pilots that remains from ALPA's abdication of it's duty to represent its members.

If you don't take charge and change the behavior from within, then the behavior will be changed by others--to the detriment of the 99% of NWA pilots who aren't responsible for this stuff.TC

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back