Sorry...I've had it!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FWIW-

I ran into the NWA JS Coordinator yesterday, & we had a chat.

I relayed the story on this thread, & he was unaware of it. He was, however, preparing to contact a DTW DC9 CA. Apparently, this CA denied a JB pilot the JS, & it was being taken very seriously. Our JS Coordinator is very proactive in resolving these issues, & has been so for the past 7 years.

Unfortunately, he is being replaced as the JS Coordinator. It will be hard for his replacement to out perform him. Irregardless, the message is that these issues are not taken lightly. Hopefully, this matter can be resolved.

Happy New Year to All,

320AV8R

Hallelujah.

Maybe they can burn a NWA Captain in effigy and send you the ashes.

I feel better knowing that tattletales are out there commanding large amounts of metal through the skies.

He shoulda just

.....offered to clean the airplane like he does on his own plane. Then he would have gotten a ride. ;-)

The Captain was a "tool" operating within his rights.
$Hit happens, sometimes you don't get a seat. This complaint has lasted so long, it is whining.

'nuff said

This may be somewhere in this neverending thread, but I didn't see it:

The jumpseat is ultimately controlled by the PIC, not because of company policy or contract language, but because of FAR 121.547:

§ 121.547 Admission to flight deck.

(a) No person may admit any person to the flight deck of an aircraft unless the person being admitted is—
(1) A crewmember;
(2) An FAA air carrier inspector, a DOD commercial air carrier evaluator, or an authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board, who is performing official duties;
(3) Any person who—
(i) Has permission of the pilot in command, an appropriate management official of the part 119 certificate holder, and the Administrator; and
(ii) Is an employee of—
(A) The United States, or
(B) A part 119 certificate holder and whose duties are such that admission to the flightdeck is necessary or advantageous for safe operation; or
(C) An aeronautical enterprise certificated by the Administrator and whose duties are such that admission to the flightdeck is necessary or advantageous for safe operation.
(4) Any person who has the permission of the pilot in command, an appropriate management official of the part 119 certificate holder and the Administrator. Paragraph (a)(2) of this section does not limit the emergency authority of the pilot in command to exclude any person from the flightdeck in the interests of safety.
(b) For the purposes of paragraph (a)(3) of this section, employees of the United States who deal responsibly with matters relating to safety and employees of the certificate holder whose efficiency would be increased by familiarity with flight conditions, may be admitted by the certificate holder. However, the certificate holder may not admit employees of traffic, sales, or other departments that are not directly related to flight operations, unless they are eligible under paragraph (a)(4) of this section.

Recently, a major airline tried to discipline a Captain for denying someone the jumpseat. The FAA firmly took the side of the Captain.

Youn flooging tool. I'm ALPA. What does ALPA say? I know ALPA says, "the jumpseat cannot be denied unless there is a safety of flight issue or a weight issue" period. Not " I don't like someone because of race,creed, color,sex or all the other EEOC issues". We are all furloughed from somewhere and just need a ride to get to work and back. Enough said!!

Cheers!

A350 said:
Palomino:

I am curious, why are you so against this?

A350

see Laughing Jakal post above. it gives me tired-head. it sucks to be left behind. i've been there.

try and walk in a NWA pilot's shoes for one day. they have much bigger concerns than getting bumped from a flight.

i offer an objective view. some don't like that. oh well.

Boeingman said:
To bad they aren't walking in those shoes with their brothers on the AMFA picket line.

Jesus, Mary & Joseph…….do we have to go over THIS again ? I guess so.

The IAM was ousted by AMFA, a renegade stand-alone union that had no interaction with the other unions on the property. Negotiations broke down & they struck. No other union supported them. Their picketing permit has expired. Their strike center is closed. Mgmt recently proposed to give them 1 or 2 months severance pay, pay them for unused vacation, etc, and provide Unemployment benefits. They voted it down.

NWA ALPA pilots will be in their own shoes picketing this week.

WRT the topic at hand….. hopefully everyone can avoid any JS problems, & have a prosperous 2006.

320AV8R

pipejockey said:
Maybe this NWA Cpt. just got a furlough notice or something.

Crackpipe jockey . . . . what are you, a complete idiot? Yeah, maybe this captain was furloughed out of seniority, ahead of all the FO's on the seniority list . . .

Let's see what other "gems" of knowlege we can cull from your post.

I can sympathize with the NWA guy. He has watched a prosperous career get washed down the drain the past 4 years. He has watched airlines come in and with their significantly lower costs, due in part to employees willing to work for half as much

The problems that NWA and other legacies are having are not that of pilots "willing to work for half the pay". If that was true, Delta and NWA would have been profitable in December . . . after all, they are now working for the same or less as the LCC pilots . . . . . .It is a combination of bad management, high oil, 9/11, internet pricing, and the relative seniority of Legacy crews.

Give the guy a break, he's firing some of the last shots in a lost war to save this profession.

WTFO?? He's saving the profession by denying a jumpseat to another pilot? Most pilots with a little common sense would argue that this type of mindest is exactly what caused the problems this profession is having right now. If pilots were to stick together, you wouldn't have "whipsaws" and "scope problems". Everyone would be working for the same high rates across the board.

This idiot captain denying the jumpseat is simply a dinosaur who doesn't see the big picture, and you are his retarded concubine and one man fan club.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back