• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some Delta/NWA route swaps......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was told the same thing too Puff, but it appears that as of late last week, they may opt to displace. I hope to get more info this week.

They are going to displace. Severe shortage in the 88 right seat. The plan is not in place enough in order to justify hiring at this time. Believe me, I asked. I don't think that the SOC is remotely as far along as you think it is. Either that or the blank stare has been perfected when questions are asked.

I had to edit regarding SOC. When I refer to it, I mean a traditional SOC--where all of a sudden BAM the operations are merged. This does not preclude the FEDs from buying off on a new concept of SOC, where much of the burden is placed on Delta. If they can get the FEDS to buy off on a plan rather than an actual FOM, fleet manuals--then I think that we could see an "SOC" very soon. Hell, nothing in this merger has been traditional, so why should SOC. The day that operations are truly "one", with all fleets combined in the same operating procedures, bases in place, and crews intermingled completely--IOW complete operational freedom--is a ways off.

Last edited:
The dal side is overstatfed yet they want to hire? :confused: how does that make sense? I hope it happens for either side but that doesn't make much sense.

Because it is cheaper to hire than to displace. I would think that with you and Nu's VAST knowledge, that such information would be obvious. As things look now, we will have to hire, a lot. NWA will be short when brought to staffing, and there will be the need for an enormous training bubble for the next several years after SOC to get the placement correct.

That being said, the environment with fuel, demand, fleet, and numerous factors changes sometimes by the minute. In such a dynamic environment, the conservative approach is the best plan. That includes keeping staffing at minimum legal levels--including duty rigs as long as possible on the NWA side.

Your bitching, moaning, breath holding are no longer going to be heeded. They have run their course as effective tools in the arsenal. The immediate future is about survival. Nasty stuff is in tore for 09-mid 10. This calls for calm, rational decision making on the part of the MEC as to picking and choosing battles to be fought. It's about keeping pilots employed at Delta as opposed to growth. It's about keeping the ship afloat.

Invigorating a whole fleet for approximately 1 year does not justify cost with regard to duty rigs. Go bark up another tree.

Now go run around to all of the other boards you frequent and pass it on.

You mean the tree of it's in the contract and the DAL MEC apparently has no desire to enforce areas of the contract that apply to the pre-merger NWA pilots? BP5 if upheld will still be within a year. Planning on helping management past that?

More "Stars upon Thars" from DALPA. Who got rich before the Sneetches figured it out?

Last edited:
"Because it's cheaper to hire than to displace"

That contradicts what you said one post ago.

From a short term perspective at least it is. A new hire can be brought in, trained and put right into the MD-88 FO slot. To displace into that position you not only have to retrain the 767 FO you put in the -88 FO spot but possibly many people depending on what categories the displacements come from and how deep they go. Along with that, displacements will generate moving expenses and bad will from the pilot group.

I hope they have their crap together because fuel prices are nearly at an all time low and I don't believe this recession may be as long or as bad as predicted with the massive amounts of government money flowing. If we learned anything from the massive cuts of a few years ago it's that when you cut there's always someone willing to step in and fill the void.

Last edited:
Run to the bank and cash it, it's gold.

I'll take the word of puff over the ramblings of some FNG.

OK...

That contradicts what you said one post ago.
Oh you mean like this.

Are you kidding? Listening to a Delta pilot complain about this list is laughable. You guys leap frogged tons of NWA pilots older and more experienced:laugh: and you are still are not happy? Go cry at home and not on a public forum, my fiddle for you is so small I can't find it to play.

And then this:

clippyrip173324 said:
Get over it my man and move on, everyone has a sad story to tell. Some more than others.

Exactly. Nuff said. Quit yer bitch'en. This is going to come as a shock to you, but everything does NOT revolve around FNWA pilots.

No it doesn't, however the trip-rig issue is real $$ and positions - in terms of possible displacements or lack of upgrades. I'm sure if it was you, you'd fight for it tooth and nail. Or maybe you wouldn't....pass the Kool-Aid.

From a short term perspective at least it is. A new hire can be brought in, trained and put right into the MD-88 FO slot. To displace into that position you not only have to retrain the 767 FO you put in the -88 FO spot but possibly many people depending on what categories the displacements come from and how deep they go. Along with that, displacements will generate moving expenses and bad will from the pilot group.

I hope they have their crap together because fuel prices are nearly at an all time low and I don't believe this recession may be as long or as bad as predicted with the massive amounts of government money flowing. If we learned anything from the massive cuts of a few years ago it's that when you cut there's always someone willing to step in and fill the void.

That is being very optimitstic. More than likely, you might have 76 fo to 73 one training cycle, 73 fo to 88, and back again. In addition to that, you might have people displaced at different bases complicating the issue even more.

I just don't see the furloughs happening. All you have to do is to look at the June 09 staffing requirements. The ATL 7er is projected to have 511 pilots, and right now we have 513. If the company is lying about these projections, or that number is going to dramatically change, maybe I can see displacements, but as of today, there is no way they are displacing pilots based on the summer schedule. Let's don't forget DAL was expecting to hire as of 45 days ago.

No it doesn't, however the trip-rig issue is real $$ and positions - in terms of possible displacements or lack of upgrades. I'm sure if it was you, you'd fight for it tooth and nail. Or maybe you wouldn't....pass the Kool-Aid.

To sign a contract and think management will use all the flexibility it allows is naive at best. Management will not give up that flexibility without a cost. Nearly all the money for the pilot group in this merger has gone to your side as it is. Should the entire group give up anything else to further fund your bank account? I don't see the ability to early cross bid categories at this point as a great deal for FDL guys.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back