• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sleepy NWA pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Exactly. I know that it's not the latest wind and I too just listen to tower giving wind checks. So the Boeing guys are the only ones that ask for a wind check? If not, just fly the plane. A little annoying when the wind is less than 10 kts. "good luck, we're all counting on you" gives me a good laugh. :laugh:

sorry for the hijack, but I've always wondered.

How about the guys that ask you to call out the last 10 feet on a landing in the 757 or 767. You'll find the runway soon enough!

If Northwest pilots were able to land in Brussels instead of Frankfurt on DC 10, anything is possible. They will be back flying. They did not go to sleep. Just heated discussions about how f-ked up everything is, including the seniority list.

Did ALPA get the NWA pilots back who landed at Ellsworth AFB? I believe not.
M

They certainly were asleep.
Tell me how its possible to still be at FL370 40 mins after the TOD point? Are you saying that neither man looked at his MFD that whole time? If that's what you're suggesting then it'd be better if they HAD been asleep. Either way get those f*****s out of the cockpit!

I've sat in the jumpseat up front with crews having heated discussions about company policies, but they never missed a radio call, all conversation stops when their call sign is heard. I don't see how these guys are gonna get out of this, it's obvious they were asleep, with 2 centers calling them, other pilots calling, city lights, FMS, and I'm certain their dispatcher was following their flight and noticed they were not on descent to MSP and initiated a selcal after no ACARS response.

Did the NWA guys lack basic airmanship like I said the Colgan pilots did? No, they didn't. Look at the track on Flightaware.com----they never flew it upside down. It was perfect airmanship.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You know they weren't upside down by their track on Flightaware.com???:confused:

Perfect airmanship was because the darn airplane was on autopilot...

It's a conspiracy. Both pilots fell asleep, when awoken by the FA, they had 50 minutes to landing. CVR only records last 30. Capt and FO concoct the story about the heated discussion, knowing only the last 30 minutes would be heard. Both pilots agreeing to take it to the grave, knowing that if they were caught sleeping they would be terminated. A PA was made to the cabin within the 30 minute CVR recording to back up the story. They would land, ASAP it and continue flying to age 65.

My guess, someone will give into the pressure and tell the truth. Knowing that lying to Federal Investigators will send them to prison.

After being here a few years, I can tell you that DAL pilots are not uptight. Most are very laid back and pragmatic. They do watch their game a little more when there are "outsiders" (OAL's) in the flight deck. These guys are a great group of men and women.

It is like the military. If you are an outsider, they will not let you see their true colors. It took being on the inside to realize that.

Now continue to flame away.

So you're saying Delta pilots have multiple personalities?:D

I have an idea...they should say they were arguing over a crew meal. Oh wait, that won't work....FAA would be onto that one in a heartbeat
Airline? Crew meal? nah

Last edited:
So had the airplane stalled while they were asleep, they would have lacked basic airmanship?

While I agree that passing out or just not paying attention doesn't qualify for anything related to good airmanship, I'd like to see you try to stall an airbus with all systems functioning normally.

Latest resources

Back