• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sleepy NWA pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Arguing about policy my ***. These guys are going to be really sorry very soon. The NTSB has the tapes and I'm pretty sure we're going to find out there was no conversation going on st ALL. Maybe they were having a heated debate in sign language??

Arguing about policy my ***. These guys are going to be really sorry very soon. The NTSB has the tapes and I'm pretty sure we're going to find out there was no conversation going on st ALL. Maybe they were having a heated debate in sign language??

Maybe they were sending each other text messages........

Dick

When they playback the tape I think they'll find one of the quietest "heated discussions" ever.

not if they pressed the red ERASE button.

Yea right. They can still retrieve data off your hard drive even if you "erase" it. That button is just a feel good thing for us pilots.

Now, I'm not sure how much storage the Airbus CVR has. It is at least 30 minutes, but some can hold as much as 2 hours I believe. Not sure how long the return trip lasted once they turned around, so it may have gotten recorded over. Not sure if they can retrieve data once it has been recorded over.

Since a descent should have begun around 100 miles west of MSP and then they flew at 37000 to the airport and continued 150 miles past the airport, it seems they were not paying too much attention for at least 250 miles. Not to mention that according to the NTSB they were not talking to ATC for well over an hour. Unfortunately, the FAA may not be content with a simple letter in their file on this one.

Obviously, everyone has forgot to check on with ATC, missed a frequency change, or have been given a bad frequency. (one of which is probably where this thing started to go bad) After that I wonder if its another case of an improper range/scale selected on their tubes that initially masked their proximity to MSP. Then at some point they got into their heated debate and just checked out. Like other incidents in aviation, an error chain that keeps compounding

I feel for these guys and realize that they will probably pay a heavy price no matter what the FAA/company punishment is and for that reason I hope we can all learn something from this.

Latest resources

Back