• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest to phase out ASA. Could this be true

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So..... 1750 are in the AIR as I type, WOW. Your right. We could not cover 1750 on a day by day job. But perhaps you have missed my point.

everyonedoa360 said:
So..... 1750 are in the AIR as I type, WOW. Your right. We could not cover 1750 on a day by day job. But perhaps you have missed my point.

I guess you are right because I have no idea what you are talking about.

Flying Illini said:
Besides, that wouldn't be fair to the current SkyWest employees. "Our company is doing great so we bought your company...only now I just slid down 287 spots on the seniority list. I was going to upgrade next year now I'm another 3 years away." All that would do is created mucho resentment towards the ASA guys/gals and it would be terrible for overall company morale. You don't want to alienate your current employees who have made your airline what it is today.

I would think the 1.2% pay increase that managment is offering you would take precedence over little ole ASA. Why don't you guys grow a sack and do something that helps yourselves and everyone else involved. Quit salivating over ASA and get yur own sh!t straight!

RocketDog said:
Unfortunately, SkyWest has already been down this road before and it worked beautifully for management. At that time, (1998) SkyWest bought WestAir's assets and left the pilots to fend for themselves on the streets. Of course, a large number of those pilots were re-hired at SkyWest, as new-hires. The net result was you had the exact same pilots flying the exact same airplanes, only they started over on the bottom of the seniority list, making new-hire wages.

And a quick fact check reveals this post to be in the Bravo Sierra category.

True SkyWest bought a few aircraft and a truly lovely FTD from Mesa which already swallowed Westair by then but the ASA situation is totally different. Mesa got fired by UAL in 97 so the flying being performed by Westair went away. Talk to some pilots that flew for Westair.

This time around it's an acquisition which is not even remotely close to the Westair deal.

everyonedoa360 said:
I also think the company will let you boys go on strike (if it comes to that in your contact talks) and then have Skywest pilots fill in the open holes. As well as the few ASA pilots that will cross your line. Then over sometime, the striking ASA pilots might be told to hit the road, we (Skywest) have enough pilots to cover the flying. I’m not saying it’s going to happen and I hope it does not happen this way, but it could!

So you are saying that you would have no problem flying struck work? Forgive me if I mistook what you stated, but it seems to me that would make you ____...you fill in the word. Great way to make friends.

jehtplane said:
Just a little difference between westair or whatever, never even heard of them and us, just a little. But if that is what makes you sleep better at night is thinking you are getting just ASA assets and then asking the pilots to start over again at the bottom of your seniority list, then sleep well my friends.

I know some westair guys and they hate Skywest (skypest as they call it). They lost their jobs just as RocketDog said and some did get hired back on at Skywest(as new hires) and others wouldn't give them the satisfaction!

shamrock said:
Honest question, could SkyWest do that with the 15 year agreement that came with the sale of ASA, or would it not make any difference?

ACA had a 10 year agreement, signed in the late 90's, with both UAL and DAL...Seems there is always an out.

atrdriver...Last I checked I don't have a union, so.... IN NO WAY I'm I OR ANY Skywest pilot a scab! You got that! I voted for the last union and I will vote for the next one, but if I don't show up for work, I won't be employed anymore.

Calling me and my fellow skywest pilots scabs is also a "great way to make friends" See ya on the bottom of the list!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back