Skywest to phase out ASA. Could this be true

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jehtplane said:
Just a little difference between westair or whatever, never even heard of them and us, just a little. But if that is what makes you sleep better at night is thinking you are getting just ASA assets and then asking the pilots to start over again at the bottom of your seniority list, then sleep well my friends.

Jehtplane,

WestAir was a typical airline in that they were successful, they started ACA, became a very large regional, they were regional airline of the year + - 15 years ago, and today no one remembers who they were. I feel it is this short-term memory why history repeats itself in this business.

Personally, I've lost two jobs - one at the regionals and one at the majors due to no fault of my own and can tell you firsthand that the sting of starting over as a new-hire is quite painful. That's why I am hoping you and the rest of the ASA group doesn't have to experience this.

Not what I'm hearing.........All I hear is "I want mine" and the underlying glee that SKYW may take ASA's assets. 'Yea, me!!!!!!!! I'll upgrade in 1 year!!!!

Where are you hearing this?

Sorry, but in my book, thats dispicable

I couldn't agree more. I think (hope) everyone finds that atrocious.

I don’t think any Skywest pilot want to advance over ASA, but sadly it’s not up to the pilots at Skywest. We will have NO say in the matter. But I think it’s a real possibility that some of the ASA planes will be slowly brought into the Skywest world.

I also think the company will let you boys go on strike (if it comes to that in your contact talks) and then have Skywest pilots fill in the open holes. As well as the few ASA pilots that will cross your line. Then over sometime, the striking ASA pilots might be told to hit the road, we (Skywest) have enough pilots to cover the flying. I’m not saying it’s going to happen and I hope it does not happen this way, but it could!

It also severs Skywest well in the fact they have now gotten rid of the ASA union and it tells the Skywest pilots about to vote for a union that perhaps we (management) can deal with a union better then we (pilots) thought.

I don’t know, but there are a LOT or reserve pilots in the Skywest system right. And we seem to be running a lot of classes. We (Skywest) are only getting a few more UAL planes, why do we have so many pilots setting at home, and why so many in class right now?

I don’t know, but were going to find out.

Last edited:
79%N1 said:
Not what I'm hearing.........All I hear is "I want mine" and the underlying glee that SKYW may take ASA's assets. 'Yea, me!!!!!!!! I'll upgrade in 1 year!!!! Sorry, but in my book, thats dispicable.

I recall another airline, CMR, that their "junior pilots" pushed thru a LOA with pay cuts to get more airplanes on their property so "they", the junior pilots, could upgrade quicker. You see where they are now. Look at the Dec sch out of JFK and CVG.

I would suggest at this point, with the Skywest pilots and their company proposal, that the ASA and Skywest pilots take a step backwards and look at the end game "For All The Pilots Involved." The only way to win is for the 2 work groups to work together.

everyonedoa360 said:
I don’t know, but there are a LOT or reserve pilots in the Skywest system right. And we seem to be running a lot of classes. We (Skywest) are only getting a few more UAL planes, why do we have so many pilots setting at home, and why so many in class right now?
We get a lot of planes in Jan + Feb, plus management is saying they'd like to be able to award vacation time during the holiday season.

everyonedoa360 said:
I don’t think any Skywest pilot want to advance over ASA, but sadly it’s not up to the pilots at Skywest. We will have NO say in the matter. But I think it’s a real possibility that some of the ASA planes will be slowly brought into the Skywest world.

I also think the company will let you boys go on strike (if it comes to that in your contact talks) and then have Skywest pilots fill in the open holes. As well as the few ASA pilots that will cross your line. Then over sometime, the striking ASA pilots might be told to hit the road, we (Skywest) have enough pilots to cover the flying. I’m not saying it’s going to happen and I hope it does not happen this way, but it could!

It also severs Skywest well in the fact they have now gotten rid of the ASA union and it tells the Skywest pilots about to vote for a union that perhaps we (management) can deal with a union better then we (pilots) thought.

Is English a second language for you?

Puck, YES!

Thanks for your point of view. And looking at your past posts, you have a nice way with words yourself. Keep up the good work pucky boy.

Last edited:
everyonedoa360 said:

Porbably the same reason that ASA has reserves and people in training. I like how you people think that you are immune to the transfer of assets. You are a wholly owned subsidiary of Skywest, INC just like ASA is, and I feel pretty confident that you do not have 1700 pilots on reserve ready to cover ASA's flying if we ever strike. And you will not see one ASA pilot cross the picket line if that ever happens, that was an insult. You know there is a rule in baseball when you have a 12-0 lead, you don't throw pitches at the players on the team that is down, that is a quick way to wake their bats up!

viper548 said:
We get a lot of planes in Jan + Feb, plus management is saying they'd like to be able to award vacation time during the holiday season.
\

You don't have vacations during the holidays?

Jehtplane,

I don't think 1700 pilots are flying for ASA as I type, do you? And I'm not saying that I, or we as Skywest pilots want this to happen! I'm not throwing any balls at you dude, calm down.

I'm not saying it's going to happen.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back