Skywest to phase out ASA. Could this be true

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
everyonedoa360 said:
atrdriver...Last I checked I don't have a union, so.... IN NO WAY I'm I OR ANY Skywest pilot a scab! You got that! I voted for the last union and I will vote for the next one, but if I don't show up for work, I won't be employed anymore.

Calling me and my fellow skywest pilots scabs is also a "great way to make friends" See ya on the bottom of the list!

Well, I didn't use the word now, did I? And last I checked, linecrossers are non union. If they were union they wouldn't be crossing the line to begin with. That's in any industry. And I guess if flying struck work is the way you get to keep your job that tells me something. Personally I wouldn't do it, and I would hope that most of your pilots wouldn't either.

everyonedoa360 said:
I also think the company will let you boys go on strike (if it comes to that in your contact talks) and then have Skywest pilots fill in the open holes.

everyonedoa360...I was just wondering what YOUR definition of a scab is???

OK, all thats nice, but the sale contract had provisions in it, like 90% of all DCI flying out of the ATL must be ASA. Kind of hard to do if ASA "goes away."

everyonedoa360,

If you cross a picket line or fly struck work you are scab. Period. Flying for a non union company has nothing to do with it. Unfortunately that is one of things that stinks about flying for a non union airline is that you are at the mercy of the company in those type of situations. Personally, I would rather be unemployed or working at Home Depot, Best Buy, etc. than cross a picket line or fly struck work. Being labeled a scab is career suicide not to mention I would have trouble looking in the mirror every morning.

bailout said:
OK, all thats nice, but the sale contract had provisions in it, like 90% of all DCI flying out of the ATL must be ASA. Kind of hard to do if ASA "goes away."

Not quite the whole truth. The contract also says that at any time Skywest may transfer any number of aircraft from ASA and still be within the terms of the contract as long as there is no interruption of service. This preempts your statement to include all Skywest/ASA flying out of ATL.

FlyinScotsman said:
I know some westair guys and they hate Skywest (skypest as they call it). They lost their jobs just as RocketDog said and some did get hired back on at Skywest(as new hires) and others wouldn't give them the satisfaction!

Funny but the Westair guys still working for SkyWest don't seem to harbor any resentment. SkyWest did not have an obligation to hire the Westair guys after picking up the UAL flying that Mesa lost due to being a crappy provider. Yet SkyWest management did the right thing and reached out to those that were furloughed and offered them a job. I'm unclear on exactly why anyone feels those pilots were entitled to violate SkyWest seniority. SkyWest did not acquire another airline or operating certificate. They simply put in a successful bid for UAL flying and got the business.

The first thing you need to learn is that we as pilot groups don't own or control the flying. When Kitty Hawk lost the USPS contract to FedEx what do you think the response would have been from FedExALPA if Kitty Hawk pilots asked for a job and a seniority number somewhere other than the bottom of the list? How is that situation any different from SKYW/Westair?

Codeshare partners dispense the flying. Sometimes the flying gets taken away. The regional carrier furloughs pilots. It's ugly at times but that's the nature of the business. Junior guys lose at one company and gain at the other. It's a crap shoot.

Now the ASA deal is a whole different situation. ASA pilots have contractual rights in the event of a merger. Should they choose to pursue a single carrier status or if management decides to integrate, ASA pilots will have some say in the integration. If SKYW pilots are ALPA at the time of integration then the 2 MEC's will meet and try to formulate a plan that complies with the ALPA merger manual. If no agreement is reached it will go to a mediator.

Jehtplane.....you're a moron. You consistantly post stupidity throughout this website.

All though this situation doesn't involve me directly, I find it hard not to form opinions. In the SKW pilot groups defense, WHAT HAPPENS IS NOT GOING TO BE THIER DECISION!!! Quit blaming the pilot group of SKW for your (ASA) tummy aches! Pilots wont play any more of a roll in management decisions than gate agents or rampers.

SKY pilots are scabs? They have a job to do, that they signed up to do, to feed the families they are responsible for. Get off their backs! You're the morons wanting to possibly give up your jobs so you can strike. Who has the brains here.

ATR....you're a lost cause too.

everyonedoa360 said:
atrdriver...Last I checked I don't have a union, so.... IN NO WAY I'm I OR ANY Skywest pilot a scab! You got that! I voted for the last union and I will vote for the next one, but if I don't show up for work, I won't be employed anymore.

Calling me and my fellow skywest pilots scabs is also a "great way to make friends" See ya on the bottom of the list!

Being a scab will look great on your mainline application. I'm sure the interviewer will totally accept your reasoning.:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back