• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest talking pilot pay raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not according to several friends who were at Skywest at the time. They said the raises came about 6 months later. But of course I don't work there, so my knowledge is addmittedly heresay.

Peace.

Rekks

to negotiate a high enough wage so we can bankrupt the airline!!! just like alpa did with delta, united... well you know- all the bankrupt guys..

I guess in your world they all went bankrupt before 9/11. But I am sure that was ALPA's fault too.

Do what ever you guys want as a pilot group, but understand that you are looked down upon by a large percentage in this industry because you all ride on the coattails of the hard work and sacrafice of the union carriers that you yourselves put down.

Peace.

Rekks

I'm told by newhires that their newhire classes are made up of anywhere between 75-95% former 121 folks, most of them former ALPA.

Pinnacle, Comair, Horizon, Mesa, Mesaba-you name it they continue to come here.

If we are so looked down upon, why do people keep coming here? I was at AWAC prior to SkyWest, and I can tell you that the grass is much greener over here. I make more $, our future looks better, and folks are happier here as a whole.

I'm told by newhires that their newhire classes are made up of anywhere between 75-95% former 121 folks, most of them former ALPA.

quote]

That number seems really high. At my interview about 75-85% of the interviewees were rj drooling cfi's.

I do agree though in that all my buddies at other regional are getting bent over while ALPA watches.

we arent interested in reality we want negotiationg strength!!!! so we can send a dude named rocco or tony over and twist an arm or two in order to negotiate a high enough wage so we can bankrupt the airline!!! just like alpa did with delta, united... well you know- all the bankrupt guys..

dude you are clueless- we want our company to be successful, we want a better pay situation. alpa will not provide either- do you not get that

do agree though in that all my buddies at other regional are getting bent over while ALPA watches

you guys have made the above statements and I'm clueless?
You dont even know how a union works or ALPA for that matter because you probably have no interest in knowing the truth. You would rather garggle management BS without thinking or researching for yourselves.

I will try to explain how ALPA works one more time for thoses who would like to listen with an open mind.
1) ALPA is not a peron and its not a persons name!!
2) ALPA stands for Airline pilots association.
3) ALPA exists on two levels. ALPA national and youe local MEC.
4) ALPA national is there for admnistration and lobby, etc..
5) You local MEC is made up of your elected officials.
6) Your pilot group will elect pilots from your company to represent you.
7) ALPA national will not tell you what to aks for in your contract, if you want to fly the 90 seater for $20 an hour and you vote on it, thats your Choice (although the president has to sign off on it).
8) each pilot group will only negotiate what it can get, if your comapany is in Bk you will not be able to get $120 hr. that has nothing to do with ALPA.
9) When you negotiate concessions you usually ask for stuff in return in the future.
10) ALPA has not bankrupted a single airline as they have to power to file for a BK, management does. I do not believe that any pilot group won't negotiate with management if they want to keep their jobs.
11) Your union dues are split into different funds. The majority stays withing your own MEC and a small part goes to national for admin and lobby, etc..

Dont come here without any knowledge of the inner workings of a union and spred lies. What joe blow did at another regional and how he might have been treated has nothing to do with ALPA. Those pilots would have been treated even worse without representation. I do not think that many guys leave an airline because of ALPA. they leave because of personal reasons that might be pay, bases, advancement oppotunity, etc.... and the fact that they might be better at Skywest in acomparisson to their old company has nothing to do with ALPA either. Bottom line is that you the pilot is ALPA, if you are unhappy take look in the mirror.

Last edited:
Wow, it seems to me we already have compitent people already doing that here at SkyWest, and for free. Thanks for shedding light on something that sounded like we couldn't live without it before. I'm sure glad we didn't have that vote before you came along and straightened us out. Whew...dodged the bullet there, huh guys?

You putz and biatches, listen up.....

The only, and i repeat ONLY, reason that your management is talking to you about a raise is to get the newbies to think that management cares. Skywest is supposedly hiring alot of new guys and guys are there and happy to just be in a snj (shiny new jet).

If management really cared for you guys, they would have made a deal awhile ago and not, as stated earlier, when your union drive started.

Repeat after me, management will disappear when your union drive fails. As a newbie will say "I am just glad to be here."

peace and QX wants a raise also.

Too bad 80-90% of the new hires are coming from other 121 carriers. In my opinion you should open your ears and listen to what these guys with a view from the other side have to say.

9) When you negotiate concessions you usually ask for stuff in return in the future.

I've found that's not always the case. Sometimes it's just a concession here and a concession there with no strings attached.

Oh wait a minute. You used the word "negotiate."
By definition if your reps are giving concessions with nothing in return that's not really negotiating, is it?

Wow, it seems to me we already have compitent people already doing that here at SkyWest, and for free. Thanks for shedding light on something that sounded like we couldn't live without it before. I'm sure glad we didn't have that vote before you came along and straightened us out. Whew...dodged the bullet there, huh guys?

Your assumption is wrong. I agree that you have competent pilots working on your behalf but you do not have a contract. I am also sure you knew all of that, however you you and others like you still distort the facts and when you can't contribute to anything you come up with a rebuttle that is without substance. But then again maybe you have something to lose if the vote goes through. You know the playing field would be more even with a union on board.

I've found that's not always the case. Sometimes it's just a concession here and a concession there with no strings attached.

Oh wait a minute. You used the word "negotiate."
By definition if your reps are giving concessions with nothing in return that's not really negotiating, is it?

Yes, that might be true SOMETIMES. And you are wrong on the negotiation as still your reps have to approve of the concession and you pilot group has to vote on it. If the majority votes then so be it, thats democracy. on the other hand you can go without a contract and have management do as they wish without consulting you. Now that's more like a dictorship. I guess most prefer the democracy. Its always better to have a contract vs. no contract, ALPA or no ALPA.

Latest resources

Back