• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest talking pilot pay raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Legally recognized and binding contract? Ya sure, tell that to the thosands that lost their pension's! Oh ya, what about the legaly recognized and binding contract regarding PAY! oops! GO alpa?

TTHEBEST

In the unlikely event SKYW ran into financial trouble, unlikely due to better than average managment, how long do you think your pay rates and work rules would last? Your pay could be cut in half overnight. You could be furloughed out of seniority. That's right. Instead of starting from the very bottom if management needed to shed 400 pilots they could just take the bottom 200 captains and bottom 200 FO's. Or they could furlough by airframe. What if the EMB flying just disappeared? Why bother going to the expense of furloughing by seniority when you can do it by airframe. Suppose some of the RJ flying disappears. Overstaffed by 300? No problem. Just lay off the bottom 150 RJ captains and bottom 150 RJ FO's. So what if the most junior FO's are in the EMB.

SKYW pilots have been extremely fortunate that management has found ways to keep the company flying through good times and bad. But you don't have SAPA to thank for that. It's been a combination of luck and good managment.

What you need to be thinking about is what happens if the luck runs out. With a contract you get a seat at the table and at least get to negotiate your concessions. You have specific recourse. Even during a bankruptcy the company has to prove to the judge the need to impose whatever changes they're pushing for.

In the unlikely event something bad happens I will personally laugh at you when you start whining. Maybe I'll even dig up your posts and remind you how you hated the entire of pursuing a legally binding contract.

Last edited:
I think it's funny how pissy people get when I ask a direct, honest question. I was simply trying to determine the dudes position, and if he's a malcontent because of what has happened at SkyWest (in his opinion) or if he'd be that way anywhere. When all you hear is negative, negative, negative, you paint a pretty clear picture. and Bluto, it's so altruistic of ya'll to do so much on behalf of others. I guess I just need to listen closer when I hear people bitch and moan about this place-they really are just trying to make it better! Who knew?!

This just in from SAPA: Pay discussions suspended due to ALPA drive...

Nawwwww...Didn't see that one coming! Where did that come from?

No carrier has used SKYW terms of employment as a negotiating tool in the past 5 or 6 years. Well maybe Great Lakes has.

You've been fighting for a contract Scotty? Really? So you finally decided to put down the glass o' kool-aid and filled out a card requesting a union election.

Glad to hear you've come around. I was starting to lose hope. A legally recognized and binding contract is a worthwhile goal. Glad to hear you've decided to support a union on the property.

Isn't ASA trying right now to get what SkyWest has now?

I hope you are not on the oganizing commitee, because in the next 5-6 years it takes to get a contract the present CPM is in effect, and if you screw anything up- bye bye......

This just in from SAPA: Pay discussions suspended due to ALPA drive...

Nawwwww...Didn't see that one coming! Where did that come from?
Wonderful. Anyone know how long the drive will last? Let's just vote and get it over with already!!!

[quote=embdrvr; " In the unlikely event SKYW ran into financial trouble, unlikely due to better than average managment, how long do you think your pay rates and work rules would last? Your pay could be cut in half overnight. You could be furloughed out of seniority. That's right. Instead of starting from the very bottom if management needed to shed 400 pilots they could just take the bottom 200 captains and bottom 200 FO's. Or they could furlough by airframe. What if the EMB flying just disappeared? Why bother going to the expense of furloughing by seniority when you can do it by airframe. Suppose some of the RJ flying disappears. Overstaffed by 300? No problem. Just lay off the bottom 150 RJ captains and bottom 150 RJ FO's. So what if the most junior FO's are in the EMB."

What is that, a dang story you made up in your head? Welcome to reality! Nothing you said has EVER HAPPENED AT SKYWEST! Stop you alpa armchair flying! Funny though, parts of you're story did happen;) Remember Delta, United, etc..... yup they're alpa! THEBEST

Last edited:
Apparently SAPA and SGU are talking again. The rules about when you can no longer discuss pay (read interfere) is muddier than Brad led us to believe?

AF :cool:

Latest resources

Back