Skywest talking pilot pay raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ponchus pilot

I heard from a friend of mine that works at Skywest that management is talking about raises. I wonder why all of a sudden are they talking about giving the pilots raises?

If the SkyWest pilots were smart then they'd take the payraise and vote in the union. Status quo while negotating their contract would mean that they would keep it and possibly negotiate rates on top of what they just got.

If the SkyWest pilots were smart then they'd take the payraise and vote in the union. Status quo while negotating their contract would mean that they would keep it and possibly negotiate rates on top of what they just got.

IF they do that, who's to say that Management wouldnt just implament(sp?) a lower payscale? Skywest pilots have no protection, so Management can change/take away anything they want at anytime. I am not saying they would, but they could. And those of you who say "well skywest/jerry atkins wouldnt do that, they arent that kind of company" you're in for a surprise......Bringing a union on property can be a very ugly thing.

IF they do that, who's to say that Management wouldnt just implament(sp?) a lower payscale? Skywest pilots have no protection, so Management can change/take away anything they want at anytime. I am not saying they would, but they could. And those of you who say "well skywest/jerry atkins wouldnt do that, they arent that kind of company" you're in for a surprise......Bringing a union on property can be a very ugly thing.

Because that's not the way union drives work.

Once a union is elected, the RLA protects them. Management cannot unilaterally impose lower wages. Therefore they would keep whatever rates was given to them prior to the election. But more importantly is the fact that the skywest pilots would be protected once a CBA was in place.

Maybe because there is a slowly gaining movement to unionize the pilot force there?

Yep, just in time to keep them from voting in the union. This should p!ss Off the Skywst pilots even more....no raise until "uncle" Jerry is about to lose control of his pilot group....Yeah, he's a company man!:rolleyes:

This same thing happened last time the union drive was gaining momentum. Then, just when the pay talks, and the union drive, came to a head, the company said they had to back off until the drive was over for legal purposes (interfering with a union drive restrictions, etc.). Then, after the drive failed, they were unwilling to negotiate pay any further. Many SkyWest pilots are watching carefully to see if this happens again. If it does, expect to hear many pilots crying foul. If a repeat occurs, I think the pilots as a whole will definitely take notice.

Latest resources

Back