• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest talking pilot pay raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some of you Skywest pilots live in la-la land. Your payrates, work rules, and other "goodies" were given to you on the backs of the very carriers you listed above, and then some. You sit there and poo-poo those carriers but you have that employee handbook because of them. JA's plan is working because all he has to do is bring you guys up to where the bar has been set and no union will be voted in.

and if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass a hopin'!

so what? so, out of gratitude we should vote in a union? JA has been successful not because of luck or any other excuse. he has understood that he needs to walk to fine line between keeping his people happy and delivering a cost efficient, quality product. he understands that happy employees=a succesful company. he changes and adjusts according to the market, and that includes attracting and retaining good people. it only makes sense that he wants to offer a prospective pilot the best package he can while remaining competitive.

this argument is used over and over again, but I think incorrectly. if I understand it correctly, ALPA gets somebody 'A' and JA mathces with 'A' for SW pilots. then ALPA gets a group 'B' and JA matches. well, if that were true, we'd always be lagging, one step behind. last I checked, we make as much or more than others, have competitive work rules, QOL, etc.

the attempt to 'sell' ALPA to this pilot group will go a lot better when we can look at another and say 'gee, they have it better than us thanks to ALPA. maybe we should have it too.'

to date, many of us (and many former ALPA), see it quite the opposite.

FLAME AWAY!!!

Just so we're clear on comprehension...nowhere in my post did I "poo-poo" any of those carriers. I am simply pointing out that ALPA..in all it's glory, spouted by countless individuals on this very board,..did not save their jobs, did not better their situation, did not make their carrier stronger. I am all for improvements and taking a stand...but ALPA is not the answer. Improving relations between management and employees is the answer.

W

In this world you get it in writing. Not on a hand shake.

When was the last time JA sat down and talked about the 70 rates that were agreed to over 3 years ago? That was an 18 month deal with no ending wasn't it. Binding arbitration would have been a good idea.

Some of you Skywest pilots live in la-la land. Your payrates, work rules, and other "goodies" were given to you on the backs of the very carriers you listed above, and then some. You sit there and poo-poo those carriers but you have that employee handbook because of them. JA's plan is working because all he has to do is bring you guys up to where the bar has been set and no union will be voted in.

I got 2 words for you boy, "Tea Bag!"

Good to see ya.

... he has understood that he needs to walk to fine line between keeping his people happy and delivering a cost efficient, quality product. he understands that happy employees=a succesful company. he changes and adjusts according to the market, and that includes attracting and retaining good people. it only makes sense that he wants to offer a prospective pilot the best package he can while remaining competitive.

this argument is used over and over again, but I think incorrectly. if I understand it correctly, ALPA gets somebody 'A' and JA mathces with 'A' for SW pilots. then ALPA gets a group 'B' and JA matches. well, if that were true, we'd always be lagging, one step behind. last I checked, we make as much or more than others, have competitive work rules, QOL, etc.

To try and make JA sound like Herb or Gordon is a joke. He plays the same game that DAL has played for years with the non - union employees. No majic there. Just ask all those from DAL that had everything taken away over night. JA has said he can do the same with you too.

To try and make JA sound like Herb or Gordon is a joke. He plays the same game that DAL has played for years with the non - union employees. No majic there. Just ask all those from DAL that had everything taken away over night. JA has said he can do the same with you too.

You're correct, DAL did take wages away from their non union groups when it was required, but they did take away from DALPA as well, it just took longer. All the things DALPA said would never happen, scope, wages, retirement, blah-blah-blah, all happened. Having ALPA in here is just going to make this place a living hell for 5 years until a contract gets worked out, if not longer. We can keep progressing torwards better in constant steps or we can try WW III to place an agreement with mighty ALPA helping us. From what has happened at ASA and what is probably going to happen at Comair, I feel it's best stay with what we have. A three year FO showed me his to date pay stub, albiet he works hard, is over 59K.

Ya lets bring in ALPA, watch the roses bloom.

last I checked, we make as much or more than others, have competitive work rules, QOL, etc.

Really? would you care to note some of your benefits compared to equally sized and operated airlines.

You're correct, DAL did take wages away from their non union groups when it was required, but they did take away from DALPA as well, it just took longer. All the things DALPA said would never happen, scope, wages, retirement, blah-blah-blah, all happened

You should do some research on this before comming out and spitting out bunch of BS. If that was true why did management want to take them to court and void the contract after the second round of concessions. ALPA is made up of pilots and run by pilots. In order to save the company we make concessions but get it back when the company starts making money again. With out a contract one would lose much more, Management can just do what they wants without answering to anyone. I trust my fellow pilots much more than management no matter how great the employee management relation is. To further proof you wrong I will have your statement osted on the major boarsd and have the DAL comment of it.

I will ask the same question of the anti union pilots at Skywest again. I know you guys dont like ALPA. Why not get what you have now with your inhouse group and have it written down in a contract and have an inhouse union? What the fence sitters want to do is to take the U and the I out of union.

Last edited:
Really? would you care to note some of your benefits compared to equally sized and operated airlines.

Historical block or better
100% deadhead
100%cancellation
...just to name a few. taken as a whole, I believe they compare very well, this has been well documented on this bitchboard. some will disagree, but in the end it's totall gross pay and benefits for me. there is much more to it than payscale

I will ask the same question of the anti union pilots at Skywest again. I know you guys dont like ALPA. Why not get what you have with your in house group and have it written down in a contract and have an inhouse union? What the fence sitters want to do to take the U and the I out of union.

It's been tried, but from what I'm told was poorly organized and underfunded. many of us, including myself, are very open to discussing that idea again.

Historical block or better
100% deadhead
100%cancellation
And which regionals of similar size do not have what you say you have? I know my airline has it plus much more including pay scale that is higher and I know we arent the only ones. I would like to hear from guys that work at other regionals of similar size and reputation to see what they have.

And which regionals of similar size do not have what you say you have? I know my airline has it plus much more including pay scale that is higher and I know we arent the only ones. I would like to hear from guys that work at other regionals of similar size and reputation to see what they have.

We get crew meals now. Do you get that?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back