• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest SAPA proposed pay package is out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
. . . . . chirp . . . . . . chirp . . . . . . chirp . . . . . . .

and the silence is telling

. . . . . chirp . . . . . chirp . . . . .

DING DING DING DING DING! WINNER WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!

open it up to all, though. that PFT dewsh PCL_128 has said he'd rather fly for Mesa.

Not to get into an ALPA pissing match, but have you ever used ALPA services? The first time you actually use their services be it a lawyer fighting a grievance/arbitration specifically for YOU or have a doc in Denver go to bat for YOU for hours and hours with the FAA or when you ball an airplane up and within hours you have 100+ ALPA volunteers(accident investigators, CIRP, lawyers, etc...) at the crash scene(anywhere in the world). Should I go on? What would those things noted above cost you out of your pocket? Most lawyers charge a couple thousand retainer plus hourly, doc's the same. I paid about 1500 in ALPA dues last year and I know I got my money's worth.

ALPA is not perfect I will agree with you there, but the services they provide, when they are needed, are excellent and I guess you cant really appreciate them until you need them.

All of this is agreed, but the problem is that overall and without exception is that ALPO is for the legacy airlines. There isn't any reason that the same services could not be used for a union that adequatly represented the regionals. SWAPA and APA and UPS have them.

I also think it seems a little fishy that they are trying to rush this through by offering a carrot of "if you pass this now...then the effective date is September 1st." I thought we were negotiating for pay rates in 2011. Now they want us to pass it and get the payrates effective 9/1/10? Anytime a company is willing to pay you more now rather than just negotiating for the agreed upon dates means something is up.

I agree, if the company wants it right now, then wait for a better proposal. I think they want things settled before ASA/XJET goes in for their contract.

As far as regionals go, "I wish I was flying for Skywest."

It isn't always about finding someplace better to work, it is about making the place where you currently work better. I am happy to work for a strong company that values financial stability. I think Skywest is a great regional, so I would not want to work at another regional. I also don't think you have to choose to work at another company because you don't agree with certain aspects of your current company. There seems to be this attitude that you cannot disagree with someone or something without being completely for it or against it. That is completely false. Most of the time you might agree with something 80% or disagree with one thing, but not another. Regardless, you can still be a good employee while disagreeing with certain company decisions and you can still be a strong union member while disagreeing with certain union decisions.

I am guessing by the tone of your question that you also believe Skywest is one of the best places to be. So if Skywest is the leader of the regional airline industry (financially stable, growth potential, strong contracts, good training, etc...) why is it that we aren't the leaders on pay and work rules. It seems to me that Skywest is one of the only regionals in the country that is in a position to pay pilots more and support a higher QOL and yet they do not.

Why don't you value your services and your profession enough to expect more from Skywest?

Last edited:
difete said:
I agree with a "no vote" and stall it as much as possible and let Skyeast (ASA, Expressjet) solve their rate before we accept anything here. They have more leverage to negotiate than we do over here.

Wouldn't that be another example of Skywest pilots riding the coattails of and reaping the benefits from their ALPA-represented colleagues?

You got 3.57 because we at ASA got 3.57 in our PBS loa. You get nothing at Skywest unless a union carrier gets it first. You are the true coat tail riding, scum sucking, barnacles of the industry. You have no choice in anything, your insurance will be changed to a CDHP while we at ASA keep our PPO. You are being used to try to lower expectations at ASA. Face it, your pilot group is the whip in the whipsaw. If we get it, you will, if we don't, you won't! Why don't yall do something intelligent, and beneficial for you and us, and join us so we can all pull in the same direction?

Wouldn't that be another example of Skywest pilots riding the coattails of and reaping the benefits from their ALPA-represented colleagues?

Yes it would be riding coat tails. It would also be the thing that would benefit the ASA folks most, short of joining Alpa. If the OO guys accept this pig
, it makes the ASA folks negotiating that much more difficult.

LOL watch this pass by 96.5% Would you like it with or without lube? With lube please and koolaide too if you got some more.

You got 3.57 because we at ASA got 3.57 in our PBS loa. You get nothing at Skywest unless a union carrier gets it first. You are the true coat tail riding, scum sucking, barnacles of the industry. You have no choice in anything, your insurance will be changed to a CDHP while we at ASA keep our PPO. You are being used to try to lower expectations at ASA. Face it, your pilot group is the whip in the whipsaw. If we get it, you will, if we don't, you won't! Why don't yall do something intelligent, and beneficial for you and us, and join us so we can all pull in the same direction?

Last edited:

YES, that is exactly what it is! Those of us at Skywest that would love to see XJT force the three airlines to merge and be an integrated ALPA pilot group are left with nothing more than the hope that once again an ALPA pilot group will do the heavy lifting for us. It is sad but very true!

On a side note: I am extremely disappointed that it appears that the XJT ALPA folks are going to cave on the integration scope in favor of whipsaw protections.

I wonder how the majority of the XJT pilot group feel about that issue.

YES, that is exactly what it is! Those of us at Skywest that would love to see XJT force the three airlines to merge and be an integrated ALPA pilot group are left with nothing more than the hope that once again an ALPA pilot group will do the heavy lifting for us. It is sad but very true!

On a side note: I am extremely disappointed that it appears that the XJT ALPA folks are going to cave on the integration scope in favor of whipsaw protections.

I wonder how the majority of the XJT pilot group feel about that issue.

Just to follow up on my point here. Can't it be said that this pay issue is the first whipsaw action Skywest Inc will use against XJT & ASA? I have no doubt that if this pay proposal stands at Skywest Airlines that it will be pointed to when XJT/ASA start their negotiations. The argument will be that growth will go to the airline that has a lower cost workforce. Let the race to the bottom begin!!!

Latest resources

Back