• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest SAPA proposed pay package is out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Vote no. Votes yes. Vote maybe. Vote for Mickey Mouse. It doesn't matter. Jerry will impose whatever he wants on you clowns at SKYW. He is only offering this carrot in hopes it will serve as a "measuring stick" for the upcoming ASA/XJT real negotiations.

Next time you see me say Hi! I'll be wearing the same CLOWN SUIT as you!!!

This is not an ALPA or Union Thread.....

I Have (little to) nothing to gain from this new Agreement (not contract).

Vote NO!!

Couldn't even make it an even 4.00 MDG the company had to have the 3 minutes.

SkyWest Pilots lost a ton of pay with the Leg credit only thing. You see it abused all the time, trips on the board with NO changes in them only offering LCO.

FO Scale needs to go to 10 years not 8.

Needs same raise for Captains and FOs. Needs same BHO for Captains and FOs

Why in the world do they hate the FOs soo much at SkyWest???

Are they mad because the FOs made so much money that first year and had to buy their own Jepps etc?? Will they get a kick back for turning in their Jepps if the brick ever comes out??

LOL. no i think they are mad that all the Fo's qualify now for the full financial/performance rewards! thats why the bar was set higher to achieve a descent payout.

I agree with a "no vote" and stall it as much as possible and let Skyeast (ASA, Expressjet) solve their rate before we accept anything here. They have more leverage to negotiate than we do over here.

By the way, thanks for all your input, it brings more light to the subject.

There are way too many loopholes in this pay package.

1. The MDG is probably derived from a formula SKYW management put together. They probably figured out that the Avg Min Day is 3:57 and so by giving us a MDG of 3:57 they really aren't giving us anything. They also probably realized the MDG days are less than a couple of percent of all our days. So again, not giving us a real increase.
2. The training travel guarantee only applies to travel TO training...how long before we start seeing SKYW get around that by always having us do sims on the day we travel TO training and then traveling home the next day where they can just pay us for Deadheads?
3. All of the items under the OTHER category are just "options in PBS." It seems to me that they should either be mandatory changes to PBS or not be included at all. We are constantly getting changes to PBS without having them tied to a pay package. Would these have come out anyway?
4. The splitting of the SIA and SAPA policy manuals is a "target" date. IF it is in this pay package it should be a FIRM date. A target date simply implies that they will "try" to get it done.

Pay aside - what we really want isn't even addressed. The trip quality has deteriorated so much that we need to be addressing TRIP RIGS and DUTY RIGS. Drop our 1 to 1 duty rig down to 10 hours instead of 12 hours. Try making trip rigs that will improve our QOL and don't worry about a MDG. I believe that with the new crew rest and duty rules due out next year (mandated by Congress) the rigs will be more important than pay rates.

As for pay - can someone shed some light on what XJT and ASA got (percentage wise) in their last contracts? 1-1.5% seems ridiculously low for a company that has purchased 2 airlines has hundreds of millions in the bank and has paid out a dividiend to shareholders for 61 quarters in a row thanks to the hardwork of its employees.

I also think it seems a little fishy that they are trying to rush this through by offering a carrot of "if you pass this now...then the effective date is September 1st." I thought we were negotiating for pay rates in 2011. Now they want us to pass it and get the payrates effective 9/1/10? Anytime a company is willing to pay you more now rather than just negotiating for the agreed upon dates means something is up.

Just out of curiosity, as a SKYW pilot. After voting yes for a pay package with a net loss last time, and voting DOWN a union, WTF did you think we were going to get????

Just out of curiosity, how do you calculate that the last pay package at SKYW was a "net loss last time?" Honest question? How do you come to that conclusion? Is it the "didn't keep up with inflation" argument? Just wondering.

So, urflyingme, you've made two posts on this thread since I posed my question to you and neither post responded to my question. What's up with that? Again, honest question. It seems there's always a lot of talk like, "this doesn't even keep up with inflation," or "this is really a pay cut because of inflation." If that's what you're talking about, please let me know in this industry what contracts have kept up with inflation. What pilot group is better off now than they were, say, five years ago or six years ago or seven years ago? Where's the big upside in this business?

And for all you Skywest pilots, please answer this fill in the blank question:

"If I was flying for ____________, I'd be in a much better position than I am now. I wish I was flying for ______________, instead of Skywest."

So what's your answer?

Last edited:
So, are you Skywest guys ALPA?

There are way too many loopholes in this pay package.

1. The MDG is probably derived from a formula SKYW management put together. They probably figured out that the Avg Min Day is 3:57 and so by giving us a MDG of 3:57 they really aren't giving us anything. They also probably realized the MDG days are less than a couple of percent of all our days. So again, not giving us a real increase.
2. The training travel guarantee only applies to travel TO training...how long before we start seeing SKYW get around that by always having us do sims on the day we travel TO training and then traveling home the next day where they can just pay us for Deadheads?
3. All of the items under the OTHER category are just "options in PBS." It seems to me that they should either be mandatory changes to PBS or not be included at all. We are constantly getting changes to PBS without having them tied to a pay package. Would these have come out anyway?
4. The splitting of the SIA and SAPA policy manuals is a "target" date. IF it is in this pay package it should be a FIRM date. A target date simply implies that they will "try" to get it done.

Pay aside - what we really want isn't even addressed. The trip quality has deteriorated so much that we need to be addressing TRIP RIGS and DUTY RIGS. Drop our 1 to 1 duty rig down to 10 hours instead of 12 hours. Try making trip rigs that will improve our QOL and don't worry about a MDG. I believe that with the new crew rest and duty rules due out next year (mandated by Congress) the rigs will be more important than pay rates.

As for pay - can someone shed some light on what XJT and ASA got (percentage wise) in their last contracts? 1-1.5% seems ridiculously low for a company that has purchased 2 airlines has hundreds of millions in the bank and has paid out a dividiend to shareholders for 61 quarters in a row thanks to the hardwork of its employees.

DUTY and TRIP RIGS should be an absolute must!!!!!! I am sick of 6 and 7 leg days doing former EMB legs that pay nothing, even though your duty day is 11 or 12 hours with all your extra airport appreciation time between the short flights!!

Don't forget they also dumped tens of millions into their investments in Vietnam and Brazil!!!

Last edited:
And for all you Skywest pilots, please answer this fill in the blank question:

"If I was flying for ____________, I'd be in a much better position than I am now. I wish I was flying for ______________, instead of Skywest."

So what's your answer?

. . . . . chirp . . . . . . chirp . . . . . . chirp . . . . . . .

and the silence is telling

. . . . . chirp . . . . . chirp . . . . .

Latest resources

Back