Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest SAPA proposed pay package is out

Just out of curiosity, as a SKYW pilot. After voting yes for a pay package with a net loss last time, and voting DOWN a union, WTF did you think we were going to get????

why are you soooo bothered by Mesa?

I think you should take a paycut so management can buy Mesa and offer more cash to mesa pilots....j------ss

But really-

What does that vote mean? What obligation does Jerry have to take your advice?

You are underestimating the importance of the vote. It is an exercise of the measure which must be taken in order to keep a union off the property. The Skywest pilots have more control over their QOL and pay than most people realize.

Jerry wants to keep the union away and he wants to do it as cheaply as possible. The pilots know that and have reaped the benefit of playing the game. And don't forget, they get to do so without paying union dues.

Their unique position in the industry of getting most union benefits without paying dues has worked well for them. They are only shorted the legal, medical, and pride of contributing to the profession and safety advocacy.

But given the used car salesman persona and US AIRWAYS shananigans of ALPA, I really can't blame them. Though I do wish they would at least join up with some union or form a proper in-house.

why are you soooo bothered by Mesa?

I think you should take a paycut so management can buy Mesa and offer more cash to mesa pilots....j------ss

Where did I say anything about Mesa?

You don't work there either...

Seriously, Good Luck Skywest Pilots! No pun intended. I didn't realize you were up for a new contract. Did the company just offer this out of the blue to keep you all happy enough not to get a union? I can tell you this much, ALPA isn't worth the 2% dues that you pay. Most of all the workers at this regional level are volunteers so it is no different then what you have at skywest, without the dues. Maybe a little better job protection if you mess something up online, but otherwise not worth all the due money.

Vote no. Votes yes. Vote maybe. Vote for Mickey Mouse. It doesn't matter. Jerry will impose whatever he wants on you clowns at SKYW. He is only offering this carrot in hopes it will serve as a "measuring stick" for the upcoming ASA/XJT real negotiations.

Bingo! In business it is called anchoring. SkyWest management wants to set a low bar for the upcoming ASA/XJT negotions.

Why not vote it down, send a strong message to management, wait for ASA/XJT to finish negotiations and then demand a match?

Seriously, Good Luck Skywest Pilots! No pun intended. I didn't realize you were up for a new contract. Did the company just offer this out of the blue to keep you all happy enough not to get a union? I can tell you this much, ALPA isn't worth the 2% dues that you pay. Most of all the workers at this regional level are volunteers so it is no different then what you have at skywest, without the dues. Maybe a little better job protection if you mess something up online, but otherwise not worth all the due money.

Not to get into an ALPA pissing match, but have you ever used ALPA services? The first time you actually use their services be it a lawyer fighting a grievance/arbitration specifically for YOU or have a doc in Denver go to bat for YOU for hours and hours with the FAA or when you ball an airplane up and within hours you have 100+ ALPA volunteers(accident investigators, CIRP, lawyers, etc...) at the crash scene(anywhere in the world). Should I go on? What would those things noted above cost you out of your pocket? Most lawyers charge a couple thousand retainer plus hourly, doc's the same. I paid about 1500 in ALPA dues last year and I know I got my money's worth.

ALPA is not perfect I will agree with you there, but the services they provide, when they are needed, are excellent and I guess you cant really appreciate them until you need them.

Latest resources

Back