SkyWest Pilots: At least pretend to care

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SkyNation,
I'm sorry you feel that way, you have a right to your opinion, though I think you will find that you are in the minority when it comes to SkyWest pilots. As one of the most profitable regional airlines we remain near the bottom compensation-wise for our 70 and 90 seat aircraft. How can you justify that?

In the minority in my opinion or in the minority concerning the ALPA drive? I don't see it on either front, but the ALPA drive is the only where where we can see by the numbers-so when is the vote?

Everyone would like to be paid more, myself included. I make more than my counterparts at other regionals, many of whom are represented by ALPA.

Just to be clear, I want to be paid more. I want better QOL issues resolved for my benefit. I want these things to occur in a way that will not put the company in peril, nor inhibit it from being ultra-competitive in a very difficult market. I don't believe for a second that ALPA will come on board, flex their supposed 'muscles,' and scare BH et al into giving us more. Anyone who thinks that is indulging a fantasy that hasn't played out at Comair, Mesa, ASA, and on and on.

I don't believe for a second that ALPA will come on board, flex their supposed 'muscles,' and scare BH et al into giving us more. Anyone who thinks that is indulging a fantasy that hasn't played out at Comair, Mesa, ASA, and on and on.
Good, then you're in touch with reality. For anyone else who is planning on voting for ALPA with those expectations, you may want to reconsider. If, on the other hand, you would have liked a voice when the company forced people to fly 70 lines for which they didn't bid, without regard for seniority, and without following the junior man pay policy already in place, having ALPA on property would have made a difference.

Let me give you a recent, specific example of the kind of thing SkyWest does that would be utterly unacceptable at an ALPA-represented carrier: Newhire CRJ FOs 4-5 months ago were awarded SLC transfers effective in October. Since then, the company has awarded newhires SLC directly out of groundschool forcing pilots senior to them to make a grueling commute to MKE for months. Why? I'm sure it is more convenient to the company. Who does it hurt? Where else does seniority mean so little?

The intent of this thread is not to debate the merits of union representation, merely to encourage people to vote in the upcoming SAPA presidential campaign. If you want to compare what we have to what other airlines have, I think there is definitely room for improvement. Anyway, I'll debate the union issue elsewhere, but for now:

VOTE!!

Bluto,

agreed.

Wouldnt it be funny if JB wins the election and he gets his panties wet for a few months and then ALPA gets voted in.

Demoting JB back to Brad's biatch role,

A whopping 500 or so pilots have voted so far. This is how the rest of the union drive will go. 25% "Vote ALPA!" 25% "ALPA?! they've done nothing for pilots, vote no!" and the remaining 50% "There is a union drive going on? I didn't know that. Oh well, I'm on my way to greener pastures as soon as I get the call."

he quit, then he left. probably quit the prez job because he was leaving anyway.

Uh, well, I guess that's one interpretation. There were some pretty aggressive tactics used by some of the Executive Board members to encourage his departure from his SAPA position. There was a cell-phone text message from one of the EB members to some members of SAPA along those lines. Something like, "Let's get that f****er out of here." Anyone have the specifics? Anyway, it wasn't as simple or amicable as Mark being offered a new job and moving on.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back