• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Pilots: At least pretend to care

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Getting on with another carrier made the decision easier...but those of us who are close the situation know how He was treated.

I noticed you capitalized "He". Are you inferring that MN was actually JC and he sacrificed himself for our sins?

I am having a hard time getting excited about the current SAPA vote. Even if there was a candidate that would truely represent the pilots, he would probably be run off like MN. In my opinion, the only option is to disband SAPA in its current form and seek a legally binding form of representation. Am I 100% behind the ALPA drive? No. I will vote yes. I don't want to hear about SAPA Anymore. There are some SAPA reps at the lower level that are fighting the good fight but my concerns are at the top. I consider SAPA to be a corrupt organization.

If you choose not to vote, I hope you at least take the time to send an email to the SAPA executive board explaining your reasoning. Otherwise, the absence of a vote will simply be seen as apathy, not idealism.

It seems like a big turn out on this vote would only validate how the M.N. situation was handled. IMHO, the only votes that will convey how I feel will be a recall and/or ALPA vote. SAPA can take their vote and stick it where the sun don't shine!

Good, then you're in touch with reality. For anyone else who is planning on voting for ALPA with those expectations, you may want to reconsider. If, on the other hand, you would have liked a voice when the company forced people to fly 70 lines for which they didn't bid, without regard for seniority, and without following the junior man pay policy already in place, having ALPA on property would have made a difference.

Let me give you a recent, specific example of the kind of thing SkyWest does that would be utterly unacceptable at an ALPA-represented carrier: Newhire CRJ FOs 4-5 months ago were awarded SLC transfers effective in October. Since then, the company has awarded newhires SLC directly out of groundschool forcing pilots senior to them to make a grueling commute to MKE for months. Why? I'm sure it is more convenient to the company. Who does it hurt? Where else does seniority mean so little?

The intent of this thread is not to debate the merits of union representation, merely to encourage people to vote in the upcoming SAPA presidential campaign. If you want to compare what we have to what other airlines have, I think there is definitely room for improvement. Anyway, I'll debate the union issue elsewhere, but for now:

VOTE!!

What about the poor people that i know trying to get to MKE? I know a CA that got awarded it in june for a november 1st start

I voted for the same reasons I vote in presidential elections. I even told the candidate I voted for to his face that he had received my vote, but that I still thought SAPA was useless. At least I participated.

BTW putting newman on my ignore list is one of the feel good moves of the summer.

Out of 2700+ pilots, only 813 votes casted to date. Come on guys!!! At least get on the SAPA board and read about these two for a couple of minutes and cast a vote! It's not hard!!!

The reason most people aren't voting is that no matter who wins, SGU will still be in charge. SAPA is a farce, the company implements meaningless concessions, they give the absolute minimun they need to still keep people applying, and SAPA takes credit for it.

SSDD, you may be right. I'm done trying to convince these people. I don't think SAPA is a solution for anything, but those of you who think SAPA needs to 'earn' your vote, you are the reason SAPA is as ineffectual as it is. SAPA is nearly worthless and definitely weak because the pilot group lets it be.

For those of you who hide your apathy and laziness behind principle, well, that's just pathetic. I hope you are canvassing the crew rooms trying to get the recall petitions signed, if that's the case. Strangely, I think it's not. I think the vast majority of people who don't vote for this election are not ardently opposed to SAPA, driven by deep-seated principle not to vote. I think they are, overall, just disinterested in their own future and too lazy to spend 25 seconds in a gesture of solidarity.

What drives me crazy is the people that don't support SAPA but then won't send in their ALPA cards! JMoney, Thanks for the admission of error! You don't see that much these days.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back