SkyWest IAH Base, What If ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Houston Flying
I am sure many of you have either read or heard some of the chatter going around on the public forums discussing SkyWest Airlines and the flying we will be doing with the CRJ700 in IAH. The common “thread” on the forums seems to be that SkyWest Airlines pilots will be taking flying that is protected by scope clause. As you already know, this is not new flying but a redistribution of equipment and flying within the United Airlines route structure. We have been assured by the legal department at United Airlines that flying from IAH does not violate scope and is in full compliance with the current labor agreements in place.
According to some forum threads, a few of Continental’s pilots have made the suggestion to deny SkyWest Airlines pilots’ jumpseat privileges, refuse SkyWest pilots travel in the cabin and even to take pictures and place you onto a “blacklist” in hopes that you will be intimidated. While this may be only rhetoric from a few disgruntled employees or a direct attempt by ALPA to intimidate our people, United Airlines flight operations management will not tolerate any such behavior and expects the same level of professionalism from their employees.
Should you encounter any unprofessional actions directed towards you as a SkyWest pilot please call the MOD immediately. We will take immediate steps to resolve the situation and ensure our crewmembers the respect which you each have earned and deserve.
See you in Houston,

Will somebody post the follow up to this from whoever wrote it? The one where they eat a mile of crap.

Be advised: don't do this disputed flying guys. Any pilot who might be scheduled to should be able to take this very letter to SKYW and explain the flying "We have been assured by the legal department at United Airlines that flying from IAH does not violate scope and is in full compliance with the current labor agreements in place" in fact does violate it.

Ohhhh SMACK! Was I right? You bet I was. This was totally illegal, and Simsack got the smackdown. UAL and CAL do not have a single operating certificate yet, and since they are under different certificates currently, you have to abide by each contract until then. Simsack can try to actuallty get a JOINT Contract between the 2 groups, but I don't think he will like what they are asking for. Luckily, the arbitrator saw through management's plan. You might say "Well, they can just put those 70 seaters under the United code and sell them via the United website instead of CAL...." Why didn't they do that in the first place?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Ohhhh SMACK! Was I right? You bet I was. This was totally illegal, and Simsack got the smackdown. UAL and CAL do not have a single operating certificate yet, and since they are under different certificates currently, you have to abide by each contract until then. Simsack can try to actuallty get a JOINT Contract between the 2 groups, but I don't think he will like what they are asking for. Luckily, the arbitrator saw through management's plan. You might say "Well, they can just put those 70 seaters under the United code and sell them via the United website instead of CAL...." Why didn't they do that in the first place?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Not sure how true but I heard that UAL has reached the limit of 70 seaters allowed or is very close to the 70 seat scope limit under UAL, which is the reason they attempted to put these planes under CAL. Now that they're locked out of using these planes for CAL and under the UAL scope can't put online many more 70s if any, I guess they're in a bind.

Not sure how true but I heard that UAL has reached the limit of 70 seaters allowed or is very close to the 70 seat scope limit under UAL, which is the reason they attempted to put these planes under CAL. Now that they're locked out of using these planes for CAL and under the UAL scope can't put online many more 70s if any, I guess they're in a bind.
If I'm not mistaken, the 66 seaters that are going to be flying out of IAH (as United Express now) are being taken from other Express routes from around the country. Those former routes are either being upgraded (mainline) or downgraded to a CRJ200. There are no "new" 66 seaters being added to the fleet or on order. The are rumors about Horizons soon to be ex700's going to ASA and those aircraft if place into United Express service may push or break the UAL scope limit, but not the current 66 seaters going to IAH. Unless SkyWest has figured out how to have airplanes in two places at once!

Houston Flying
I am sure many of you have either read or heard some of the chatter going around on the public forums discussing SkyWest Airlines and the flying we will be doing with the CRJ700 in IAH. The common “thread” on the forums seems to be that SkyWest Airlines pilots will be taking flying that is protected by scope clause. As you already know, this is not new flying but a redistribution of equipment and flying within the United Airlines route structure. We have been assured by the legal department at United Airlines that flying from IAH does not violate scope and is in full compliance with the current labor agreements in place.
According to some forum threads, a few of Continental’s pilots have made the suggestion to deny SkyWest Airlines pilots’ jumpseat privileges, refuse SkyWest pilots travel in the cabin and even to take pictures and place you onto a “blacklist” in hopes that you will be intimidated. While this may be only rhetoric from a few disgruntled employees or a direct attempt by ALPA to intimidate our people, United Airlines flight operations management will not tolerate any such behavior and expects the same level of professionalism from their employees.
Should you encounter any unprofessional actions directed towards you as a SkyWest pilot please call the MOD immediately. We will take immediate steps to resolve the situation and ensure our crewmembers the respect which you each have earned and deserve.
See you in Houston,

Will somebody post the follow up to this from whoever wrote it? The one where they eat a mile of crap.

Be advised: don't do this disputed flying guys. Any pilot who might be scheduled to should be able to take this very letter to SKYW and explain the flying "We have been assured by the legal department at United Airlines that flying from IAH does not violate scope and is in full compliance with the current labor agreements in place" in fact does violate it.

The memo you quote was from several weeks ago before the ruling.

Strega brings up a good point. While this may be a victory for CAL, what does this mean for Skywest Inc.

Does this shatter the growth plans they had for the holding company?

Will Smiseck proceed with theses flights anyway and just fight it with a long battle in court?

What does this mean for Expressjet's staffing in IAH and ORD?

There are no new airplanes, just shuffling around the UAX system.

Sounds like the flights will go anyway, but with a UA code instead of CO. That may complicate connections, booking, mileage, luggage, etc but all the arbitration requires is that the CO code be removed.

A victory, but I suspect that it won't actually accomplish much once they reprogram all the computer systems to create a seamless interface between UAX and CO. CO and UA are both Star Alliance....

Strega brings up a good point. While this may be a victory for CAL, what does this mean for Skywest Inc.

Does this shatter the growth plans they had for the holding company?

There was never any growth, it was just reshuffling UAX airplanes

Will Smiseck proceed with theses flights anyway and just fight it with a long battle in court?

They are going to operate all planned flights, but with a UAX code, vice CO.

What does this mean for Expressjet's staffing in IAH and ORD?

If things continue as planned by UA, I suspect some XJT flying will get reshuffled to other parts of the UA/CO system.

UA/CO is trying to optimize employment of the 70's and 50's in their combined system

The memo you quote was from several weeks ago before the ruling.

Which is why they should have waited. But they were so sure of the legality that they wanted to reassure the Skywest pilots by sending out this memo. I'm also curious what their response will be now that they have been proven wrong and what the new memo to Skywest pilots will be.

Latest resources

Back