• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest IAH Base, What If ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Um! And UAL is not picking up flights of CAL's. Might want to call your reps, I believe Houston-Lima was announced and others are coming. CAL is not taking UAL work. Plus, 2 UAL a/c per month are being sent in for paint into the new livery. Who will fly that work???

Yogi

Perhaps you have not heard. There has been a merger and CAL and the old UAL no longer exist. The new UAL is now the biggest player in Houston and will likely get exactly what they want there. The pilot groups (former CAL and UAL) should put emphasis on their JCBA and scope protections under that agreement instead of looking to the past when CAL was in existence.

The pilot groups (former CAL and UAL) should put emphasis on their JCBA and scope protections under that agreement instead of looking to the past when CAL was in existence.

That seems so obvious...why can't the Flopguts of the world understand it?

Perhaps you have not heard. There has been a merger and CAL and the old UAL no longer exist. The new UAL is now the biggest player in Houston and will likely get exactly what they want there. The pilot groups (former CAL and UAL) should put emphasis on their JCBA and scope protections under that agreement instead of looking to the past when CAL was in existence.

Okay Einstein, answer me this; if CAL no longer exists, why does my ID still say Continental? My ops and flight manuals still have CAL on the front cover... and guess what, I'm still flying under our sh!tty CAL contract using the CAL FAA operating certificate. There's the reason CAL guys are pissed about this; we're still CAL pilots operating under a CAL certificate and CAL ALPA contract flying out of our CAL hubs. Our crap contract and its scope clause still exists, which means that flying 70 seaters under CAL flight numbers out of our hubs is a contract violation. But if you guys say CAL no longer exists, it must be true... I must've just missed the memo on that one.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Kinda like the $30 an hour WITHOUT health insurance at CAL...

Yeah, that pay sucks. It's part of a concessionary agreement. Of course that CAL FO is making more than a CRJ captain in 3 years, the Skywest FO.........................not so much.

Hey Joe, your comparing apples to bowling balls.

Okay Einstein, answer me this; if CAL no longer exists, why does my ID still say Continental? My ops and flight manuals still have CAL on the front cover... and guess what, I'm still flying under our sh!tty CAL contract using the CAL FAA operating certificate. There's the reason CAL guys are pissed about this; we're still CAL pilots operating under a CAL certificate and CAL ALPA contract flying out of our CAL hubs. Our crap contract and its scope clause still exists, which means that flying 70 seaters under CAL flight numbers out of our hubs is a contract violation. But if you guys say CAL no longer exists, it must be true... I must've just missed the memo on that one.

Why is this so hard to understand?

I think you get my point. I'm sure it will take time to paint aircraft, replace ID tags, etc. But the bottom line (legally at least) is that the CAL entity really no longer exists. Also, I am fairly sure the flights talked about on this thread will be United Express flights flown in aircraft painted with United Express paint jobs. I have yet to see one of our Skywest/United Express 700's painted with Continental Express colors and there is zero chance that they would be painted those colors now.

Seriously, I can understand the frustration the CAL pilots feel but I also think they must have seen these and other changes coming with the news of the merger. I wish you all the best and hopefully the merger will lead to a stronger company, growth for the pilots, and an agreement on scope that will work out well for everyone.

I think you get my point. I'm sure it will take time to paint aircraft, replace ID tags, etc. But the bottom line (legally at least) is that the CAL entity really no longer exists. Also, I am fairly sure the flights talked about on this thread will be United Express flights flown in aircraft painted with United Express paint jobs. I have yet to see one of our Skywest/United Express 700's painted with Continental Express colors and there is zero chance that they would be painted those colors now.

Seriously, I can understand the frustration the CAL pilots feel but I also think they must have seen these and other changes coming with the news of the merger. I wish you all the best and hopefully the merger will lead to a stronger company, growth for the pilots, and an agreement on scope that will work out well for everyone.

It has nothing to do with the color of the RJ. They can paint it like a banana for all I care, it's still a clear violation of the intent of the CAL scope clause. I'm frustrated about it and I'm not even a CAL/UAL pilot. This merger will lead to growth for their pilots IF we win this battle. Otherwise, plan to see more parked airbuses replaced by regional 50+ seat RJs and commensurate furloughs ala UALs furloughs when their 37s were parked in favor of large RJs.

That's funny, the surviving name may be United, but the surviving certificate is Continental. But until SOC, as per the TPA, they will be run as TWO SEPARATE certificates/companies.

Yogi

That's funny, the surviving name may be United, but the surviving certificate is Continental. But until SOC, as per the TPA, they will be run as TWO SEPARATE certificates/companies.

Yogi

So since its TWO SEPARATE companies, SkyWest pilots should face no problems flying for UNITED as UNITED EXPRESS. I fail to see how this could violate your scope, until its ONE company....

So since its TWO SEPARATE companies, SkyWest pilots should face no problems flying for UNITED as UNITED EXPRESS. I fail to see how this could violate your scope, until its ONE company....

CAL's scope prevents anything larger than a 50(Jet) seater from flying out of our hubs. They are trying to replace CO flights out of our hubs with 70 seaters using a CO flight number and listing the flights on coair.com. This is a violation of our scope. They are free to replace any current United flights that fly into IAH. Until we have a Joint contract and a integrated seniority list the two companies are separate. Our scope also prevents them from reducing our block hours. They are attempting to bring SkyWest pilots in to replace current CONTINENTAL Flying not UNITED.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back