• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest IAH Base, What If ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If SkyWest Pilots say no then UAL will offer the contract to some one else. Colgan could just as easy start flying them under code share for UAL. It's not the regional pilots issue its yours with Management. I am furloughed managment parking airplanes and our pilots relaxing scope put me here not SkyWest. Funny how CAL pilots aren't saying much as they are now doing flying in FEB FLL and PBI to ORD and DEN. Not normal CAL routes are then. It is about time pilots stand up and stop fighting each other and hope someone else should stand up and take on there fight. Time we all step up and lead the fight.

Chairman

If SkyWest Pilots say no then UAL will offer the contract to some one else. Colgan could just as easy start flying them under code share for UAL. It's not the regional pilots issue its yours with Management. I am furloughed managment parking airplanes and our pilots relaxing scope put me here not SkyWest. Funny how CAL pilots aren't saying much as they are now doing flying in FEB FLL and PBI to ORD and DEN. Not normal CAL routes are then. It is about time pilots stand up and stop fighting each other and hope someone else should stand up and take on there fight. Time we all step up and lead the fight.

Chairman

Um! And UAL is not picking up flights of CAL's. Might want to call your reps, I believe Houston-Lima was announced and others are coming. CAL is not taking UAL work. Plus, 2 UAL a/c per month are being sent in for paint into the new livery. Who will fly that work???

Yogi

Houston Flying
I am sure many of you have either read or heard some of the chatter going around on the public forums discussing SkyWest Airlines and the flying we will be doing with the CRJ700 in IAH. The common “thread” on the forums seems to be that SkyWest Airlines pilots will be taking flying that is protected by scope clause. As you already know, this is not new flying but a redistribution of equipment and flying within the United Airlines route structure. We have been assured by the legal department at United Airlines that flying from IAH does not violate scope and is in full compliance with the current labor agreements in place.
According to some forum threads, a few of Continental’s pilots have made the suggestion to deny SkyWest Airlines pilots’ jumpseat privileges, refuse SkyWest pilots travel in the cabin and even to take pictures and place you onto a “blacklist” in hopes that you will be intimidated. While this may be only rhetoric from a few disgruntled employees or a direct attempt by ALPA to intimidate our people, United Airlines flight operations management will not tolerate any such behavior and expects the same level of professionalism from their employees.
Should you encounter any unprofessional actions directed towards you as a SkyWest pilot please call the MOD immediately. We will take immediate steps to resolve the situation and ensure our crewmembers the respect which you each have earned and deserve.
See you in Houston,

This communication from management should make every Skywest pilot disgusted. It is manipulative, patronizing, controlling and insulting. Let's look at it line by line.

I am sure many of you have either read or heard some of the chatter going around on the public forums discussing SkyWest Airlines and the flying we will be doing with the CRJ700 in IAH.
First off, management reference message board posts as the basis for communicating with its employees is low class. However, it allows mgmnt to discuss any topic they like by simply saying starting a communication with "chatter on public forums". It is no different than that gossip addicted FA that enters the crewroom with "You are not going to believe what I just heard....."

The first part of the sentence makes an assumption "I am sure many of you...." It is just a laid back way of starting a "conversation" with the reader and opens up the topic of their choosing. It also is designed to put the readers guard down.

The common “thread” on the forums seems to be that SkyWest Airlines pilots will be taking flying that is protected by scope clause.
A pre loaded statement that assumes is false. Is it? Are Skywest pilots taking flying?

As you already know, this is not new flying but a redistribution of equipment and flying within the United Airlines route structure.
"As you already know"? How does the Skywest pilot already know? Is s/he an expert on scope? Are most pilots? This is assumptive and patronizing. Even though management treats Skyweat pilots (all pilots really) like mindless machines to work, it comes across as falsely patronizing the pilot as intelligent on the issue. Unfortunately too many pilots will read this and believe that they are scope experts.

We have been assured by the legal department at United Airlines that flying from IAH does not violate scope and is in full compliance with the current labor agreements in place.
Wait a minute. Why does the author assume that a Skywest pilot knows this is not a scope violation, but then the legal dept at UAL is needed? Where is the Skywest legal department? Of course UAL legal says it is legal. They are telling Skywest to do the flying.

This is a hallow statement designed to reassure Skywest pilots of something that is hardly certain. Sounds like a teenage boy telling his prom date that she won't get pregnant. Trust me...he tells her int he back of daddy's Lexus....

It is designed to convince Skywest pilots.. by saying.. "You are smart to know this is not a scope violation, and UAL legal agrees with you..."

According to some forum threads, a few of Continental’s pilots have made the suggestion to deny SkyWest Airlines pilots’ jumpseat privileges, refuse SkyWest pilots travel in the cabin and even to take pictures and place you onto a “blacklist” in hopes that you will be intimidated.
Fear. You can always count on management to instill fear.

While this may be only rhetoric from a few disgruntled employees or a direct attempt by ALPA to intimidate our people,
This is hilarious. Management rests its entire communication on a "few" disgruntled employees. Who? Where? Can they insert a link so Skywest pilots can read for themselves what was said?

But where does this attack on ALPA come from? Seriously, how all of a sudden is ALPA a part of this? Does Skywest management have any proof that ALPA is trying to intimidate? Of course not, just classic divide and conquer with hate.

United Airlines flight operations management will not tolerate any such behavior and expects the same level of professionalism from their employees.
United Flight Ops is bound by a CBA with its pilots. If a UAL or CAL Captain denies a Skywest pilot the jumpseat, captains authority will simply prevail. Management really doesn't care if a jumpseater is denied or not. And has no desire to chase this around. This is simply a false reassuring act.

Should you encounter any unprofessional actions directed towards you as a SkyWest pilot please call the MOD immediately.
In other words, don't handle the issue as a professional.. just run to daddy and snitch on your fellow pilot. Don't worry children, we will take care of this for you. These matters are not for you to handle amongst yourselves as peers.

We will take immediate steps to resolve the situation and ensure our crewmembers the respect which you each have earned and deserve.

In other words, here is an ego stroke, now get back to work...

Last edited:
So, according to your rep, the ALPA code of ethics only applies to other Union carriers? So ALPA members only have to be what ALPA defines as professional part of the time?

Seems a bit fishy to me...

No, what it means is Skywest pilots don't get the benefit without the responsibility.....

Why do you want something for nothing?

That is what a union is all about. WE are ALL in this together.

So, as I understand it, it's OK for the union brothers and sisters over at Republic to fly the routes but not the non-union brothers and sisters over at Skywest to fly the routes? Is that what you're saying? Really?

The question is whether or not it is in violation of scope. There is a grievance on the matter and picketing in process.

So what are the Skywest pilots trying to accomplish?

No, Rez. You don't answer questions with another question. The questions were posted by ehaecker and me and are referenced above. You haven't attempted to address the questions. Why don't you answer the questions we've asked?

tick ... tock ... tic ... tock ...

Clock is running awating your cogent answer.

Well, there was another option. Skywest could have not bought Express Jet, and Express Jet would have gone bankrupt in the next 12 to 18 months. Then, Skywest would be doing all the flying. The Pilots of Express Jet have been rescued and just don't know it!

Well, there was another option. Skywest could have not bought Express Jet, and Express Jet would have gone bankrupt in the next 12 to 18 months. Then, Skywest would be doing all the flying. The Pilots of Express Jet have been rescued and just don't know it!

I doubt it. Someone else would have been courted by CAL to buy XJT. CAL's whole reason for making this purchase happen is to have a financially stable partner all the way from two years ago because they were concerned that a liquidation would have been a huge disruption to their operation. They would have just gotten someone else to buy XJT even if it mean they finance it just like DAL financed both compass and mesaba's purchase.

Last time I checked, Jerry is already a very rich man!

On the backs of cheap labor. God Bless America. Sign up another FO for $22 an hour.

Latest resources

Back