Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EMBpilot

Folks,

How does one go about a SIC check out? I fly for an airline, but I would like to get in a very, very part time corporate flying (without undercutting any one :)).

I read in a few places that Part 61.55 check out, which I had a couple of years ago, is not good anymore due to the insurance reasons. I was told that people have to go through a part of the Captains class and sim training to get signed of as a SIC.

1. How long does the class + sim take and how much does it cost?
2. I assume it is offered by FlightSafety, CAE and others, right?
3. What airplane would you suggest to train in (easiest to find occasional jobs)?
4. Do the insurance policies have currency requirements for SIC's?

Thank you very much for your time.

Some one knows betting then I but...... If you do work for a charter company, I believe the check-airmen/CP/DOO can just sign you off, other wise, you have to fill out an 8710- something and take it to your local FSDO.
Wait for other responces though, I'm not sure.

Emb, I'm going to lay on you! ( don't take it personally) people who are passionate and aggressive succeed. Take a peice of paper and answer these questions:

I got thrown off, before I had time to answer. Where do I want to be 5 five years from now? Are you willing to work with little pay, which might lead you to bigger pay and or retirement?

Do you have other investments on the side? Penny stocks? 401k?

Folks,

How does one go about a SIC check out? I fly for an airline, but I would like to get in a very, very part time corporate flying (without undercutting any one :)).

I read in a few places that Part 61.55 check out, which I had a couple of years ago, is not good anymore due to the insurance reasons. I was told that people have to go through a part of the Captains class and sim training to get signed of as a SIC.

1. How long does the class + sim take and how much does it cost?
2. I assume it is offered by FlightSafety, CAE and others, right?
3. What airplane would you suggest to train in (easiest to find occasional jobs)?
4. Do the insurance policies have currency requirements for SIC's?

Thank you very much for your time.

I just got a couple of SIC types from Simuflite. I can only give my experience so here goes...

1. Class lengths are dependent upon which aircraft you are getting the SIC type in. Citation II school was approximately 14 days long. That is ground and sim sessions. But, if you are in something like a G-IV, the school is about a month long.
2. Simuflite offers the SIC type in several airframes.
3. In my humble opinion, even though it means more competition for me, I would suggest the Citation 500 series SIC type. You are qualified in several aircraft and there are a lot of Citations out there. If you are a higher time pilot, maybe the citation 7 or 10 even. The 10 is one of those long schools but long school means big moolah!
4. I have absolutely no idea about insurance requirements...

I really hope this stuff helps you out. Like I said, I'm just speaking from my limited experience. Good luck...

All together now...

God Bless Miss Kitty Kat...

She brings such joy into our lives with her posts. Always entertaining.

Penny stocks and SIC checkouts... who would have ever thought these would be related??? Ask MKK!!

MissKittyKat said:
I got thrown off, before I had time to answer. Where do I want to be 5 five years from now? Are you willing to work with little pay, which might lead you to bigger pay and or retirement?

Do you have other investments on the side? Penny stocks? 401k?

WTF is wrong with this board? Kitty, Lollie, and every other straggler has absolutely ruined the QUALITY of info that used to grace this board. The name of this website is flightINFO.com--I stress the INFO part of this. One of the defintions of "information" is: knowledge acquired through study or experience or instruction. Why is there an open door here to anybody and everybody who knows Jack Schit about absolutely NOTHING?? Maybe I'm the one that needs to be booted here, but can someone PLEASE direct me to the "Part 91 or Part 91/135 Corporate Pilot Board"?? Did I miss a memo or something? Did Myspace.com start linking to Flightinfo.com???? Where are all the CORPORATE PILOTS???????????????

Look, we all know MissKittyKat is confused. That's why none of us ever pay any attention to her. Oh, sometimes she has her 6 year old daugher post something for her that makes sense, but otherwise...you'll only end up confused too.

Now back to the initial question:

If I were you I would get a CE-500 sign off. That qualifies you for the Citation I, II, SII, Bravo, Ultra, Encore. There a hundreds and hunderds of them out there.

Get an FOM and study up...then you can go to any one of the many training providers out there for a 2 or 3 day recurrent "pro card". And yes, being simulator current will help you get some contract work, as it's usually and insurance requirement.

The down side is that the contract rates on this are pretty low for SIC...mabye $300/day on average depending on the region.

Good Luck!

Latest resources

Back