Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EMBpilot said:
Folks,

How does one go about a SIC check out? I fly for an airline, but I would like to get in a very, very part time corporate flying (without undercutting any one :)).

I read in a few places that Part 61.55 check out, which I had a couple of years ago, is not good anymore due to the insurance reasons. I was told that people have to go through a part of the Captains class and sim training to get signed of as a SIC.

1. How long does the class + sim take and how much does it cost?
2. I assume it is offered by FlightSafety, CAE and others, right?
3. What airplane would you suggest to train in (easiest to find occasional jobs)?
4. Do the insurance policies have currency requirements for SIC's?

Thank you very much for your time.

I agree with the above posters who said CE-500....most versatile and covers a ton of aircraft! Also, if your just looking for a little something on the side, I used to fly contract for an operator who flew a C525. All of their main pilots had the single pilot type but their insurance required a right seat guy when they were on company business regardless. Worked out well for me, you didn't have to go through CAE or FSI, it was all in-house. Little bit less moolah than the aircraft that require an SIC produced by a structured groundschool/sim like the C550 or C560 but it was still a good way to break into the corporate flying scene. Good luck.

SIC Checkout: Gear handle up, gear handle down. Otherwise, clap your hands so I know that you're not touching anything else. Congrats, you're an SIC...

Price and 91 vs. 135.

Thank you so much every one.

How about pricing? Say CE-500, how much would SIC class + sim cost?

Also, guys, I looked through some courses schedules and it says "Part 135" or "Part 91" training, for the same airplanes, same kind of training i.e. initial. What exactly be the outcome/limitations in job hunting after completing one or the other?
Or does it even matter for SIC's?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm a little nervous about all your price-related questions. You don't intend to part with your money in the process of getting some side work, I hope? You don't pay for your training, your employer does. Or should. Don't deal with bottom dwellers. If they're worth working for, they'll train you.

Ryan,

Thanks for the nervousness and consideration. I couldn't agree with you more when we are talking about a job.
However, when I mention the word "part time" with "a trip every 3-4 months for fun" no employer wants to train me.

I don't have any plans to work for less than what it's worth and only on my schedule.

Thanks again.

chrism said:
WTF is wrong with this board? Kitty, Lollie, and every other straggler has absolutely ruined the QUALITY of info that used to grace this board. The name of this website is flightINFO.com--I stress the INFO part of this. One of the defintions of "information" is: knowledge acquired through study or experience or instruction. Why is there an open door here to anybody and everybody who knows Jack Schit about absolutely NOTHING?? Maybe I'm the one that needs to be booted here, but can someone PLEASE direct me to the "Part 91 or Part 91/135 Corporate Pilot Board"?? Did I miss a memo or something? Did Myspace.com start linking to Flightinfo.com???? Where are all the CORPORATE PILOTS???????????????

Did you try www.propilotworld.com ?

CE-500 SIC initial at Simuflite is $14,300. 10 days long. Tack on hotel, food, and rental car for the time you're there.

Once you pass your ride, you have a CE-500 SIC type, which is good for the 500, 501, 550, and 560. You have to go to the sim at least once a year to remain current in an insurance company's eyes. Recurrent course is either 4 or 5 days, and $7,500 bucks.

If you've got your ATP, spring for the PIC type, (about $2,000 bucks more). If you've only got a commercial, don't waste your money. You can wipe your butt with a commercial type, but that's about it.

Now for the problems.......time reqirements. Most companies that require SIC's have pretty strict time requirements to sit in the seat, most of the time, time in type is required. The only way around this is to get you 'named' on the insurance policy, which a lot of the time involves an increase in premiums. The open pilot policy time requirements on our jet for the SIC is 1,500 TT 500 ME, 100 in type, sim within the last year. Most of the time, everything is easy to come by except the time in type and school requirement. I know that our insurance company wouldn't even consider anyone for either seat that wasn't sim current. Most companies will opt to not mess with it. PIC is even worse.

135 companies are a different ballgame. For them, you have to have company specific training, and a ton of paperwork filled out by them. Again, this cost THEM money, which most of the time they're not going to be willing to pay for in the situation you're describing.

In the end, if you were to go to initial, it'd end up costing you about about $16,500 bucks. If you do the math, that means that at $300 bucks a day (good contract SIC rate), you'd have to fly about 55 days just to make up your training costs. IF you could find work. And that is BEFORE Uncle Sam gets his share.

Bottom line, it's your money. If you want to waste it, be my guest. But I can promise you, there isn't a whole lotta work for part timer regional FO's in the corporate world unless you know the right people. Most companies have full time guys, and the ones that don't have a pool of 'regulars' that they pull from. In 4 months, at our two-man flight dept. we haven't needed a contract SIC. We just don't fly enough to warrent it. Only time we would need one would be due to illness or emergency, and even then, the first guy I'm calling will the be the guy I know I can rely on the most.....not someone that would be ultra part time, "just for fun."

There's my take.

Last edited:
He didn't say anything at all about getting typed. He want's an SIC endorsement that will make the insureance guys happy. Try this place, the guy running it is an old SumuFlite guy:

http://www.prestosim.com/

Latest resources

Back