Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor SkyWest Inc. receives new jet financing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
She started it. Uh uh, HE did. Did not. Did so. Did not. Did so. Poopy head. Doo doo breath, Fart face. MOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMYYYYY!!! This is why I rarely read beyond page 2.

Some are hoping that fuel goes through the roof - putting thousands of "lesser" pilots either out of work or below them on their seniority list. A "lesser" pilot being anyone who didn't follow someone else's (or Kit Darby's) clouded view of the ideal pilot career track.

Explain that ideal progression to all my buddies that jumped for the brass ring and are still on furlough or back at my lowly airline - on the bottom of the list for at least the third time. Ironically, several of those people chose to stay put when given their recall notice. How's THAT for ideal career progression? How about the ones that went to longstanding legacy carriers only to get royally f'd by their fellow pilots during a merger.

Let's face it, luck of the draw, timing, economics, a bunch of MBAs you've never met, and even your brother pilots, have a lot more to do with your career success than your superb abilities.

Cost of fuel may alter the economics slightly. But, even if fuel hits $100 a gallon, a half-full 100-seater will NEVER be more efficient than a full 50-seater.

Good on you if you're at a major raking in the big bucks - if that is how you measure success. Of course, NOBODY's really raking in big bucks any more. With age, I'm figuring out what's important. It's spending holidays and weekends with my family along with the occasional band/choir concert, soccer games, volunteering, and just plain being there. Somehow, I still pay for my mortgage and actually have money left over for some toys.

Somehow, I just don't envision my dying thoughts as wishing I'd flown a bigger airplane, owned just one more house, bought that one yacht or had just one more ex.

I have moderated some of the sideways back and forth out of the conversation. Pilots in this section, do not like pilots flying for majors poking a finger in their face and telling them like it is, no matter what the intentions. If you do this constantly to make friends and influence people, you just look bad after a while.

Better to work for the puppet master, than to work for the puppet.

Unless the puppet show owner, decides that the puppet is cheaper than the puppet master, then decides to hire a puppet driver that will work at the 60% of Gippettos current rate, insuring that the puppet will qualify for food stamps....

She started it. Uh uh, HE did. Did not. Did so. Did not. Did so. Poopy head. Doo doo breath, Fart face. MOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMYYYYY!!! This is why I rarely read beyond page 2.

Some are hoping that fuel goes through the roof - putting thousands of "lesser" pilots either out of work or below them on their seniority list. A "lesser" pilot being anyone who didn't follow someone else's (or Kit Darby's) clouded view of the ideal pilot career track.

Explain that ideal progression to all my buddies that jumped for the brass ring and are still on furlough or back at my lowly airline - on the bottom of the list for at least the third time. Ironically, several of those people chose to stay put when given their recall notice. How's THAT for ideal career progression? How about the ones that went to longstanding legacy carriers only to get royally f'd by their fellow pilots during a merger.

Let's face it, luck of the draw, timing, economics, a bunch of MBAs you've never met, and even your brother pilots, have a lot more to do with your career success than your superb abilities.

Cost of fuel may alter the economics slightly. But, even if fuel hits $100 a gallon, a half-full 100-seater will NEVER be more efficient than a full 50-seater.

Good on you if you're at a major raking in the big bucks - if that is how you measure success. Of course, NOBODY's really raking in big bucks any more. With age, I'm figuring out what's important. It's spending holidays and weekends with my family along with the occasional band/choir concert, soccer games, volunteering, and just plain being there. Somehow, I still pay for my mortgage and actually have money left over for some toys.

Somehow, I just don't envision my dying thoughts as wishing I'd flown a bigger airplane, owned just one more house, bought that one yacht or had just one more ex.

:beer:

Unless the puppet show owner, decides that the puppet is cheaper than the puppet master, then decides to hire a puppet driver that will work at the 60% of Gippettos current rate, insuring that the puppet will qualify for food stamps....

The flying and puppet issue is not between mainline and regional. The flying will be shuffled from regional to regional until the resources (pilots) no longer support it. Mainline solvency is still a safer bet- regardless of the scope history and your seat durring it. I am one of the believers that is thinking the scope boat has sailed, as far as seats alotted is concerned. Next on the horizon will be the mutation of the "fee for departure" regionals to a code share arrangement. Watch, it WILL be attempted.

Skywest will be branded by 2014. And they will probably do extremely well. The 'get it' in St. George. Delta/united will not be able to compete on west coast point to point. Alaska has gone to strictly feeder and reduced rj feed from horizon. Very different element out west, not exactly dca-lga with 4 branded carriers selling tickets (acai)

Thanks for the rumor. I'll be sure to initiate a short position well before 2014. If that's the plan to fight starving margins are bringing Uncle Jerry then his place is SOL. As for the talk about the mainline job not being worth it, I consistently hold more days off, do much easier flying, and make more then I would be in my old taco jet seat. The peak RJ days of the noughties will be exposed as nothing but a mirage.

Last edited:
as for the talk about the mainline job not being worth it, i consistently hold more days off, do much easier flying, and make more then i would be in my old taco jet seat. The peak rj days of the noughties will be exposed as nothing but a mirage.

...+1

In summation- do what works and fits for YOU. However, as far as stability goes, or solvency, I personally think staying at a regional is a far riskier gamble than moving to a legacy. Better to work for the puppet master, than to work for the puppet.

So said my buddy too me! Furloughed from US Airways once and Furloughed by United 2 times. Now at Emirates hating his aviation career! All the meantime I've lived a stable life at Piedmont... And best of all have spent more time with my 6 year old daughter then most dad's can ever dream of.
It is what it is!!!!

Nevets, please tell me you are planning to move on to the majors.

That is the plan as of right now. But just like any other pilot at the regionals, you don't know you are a lifer until you are one. Which is PRECISELY why I only applied to two regionals, the two that had the best pilot contracts. I figured that if I was going to be "stuck" that I might as well be stuck at the place with the best pay and QOL.

Why do you ask?

Latest resources

Back