Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Rumor SkyWest Inc. receives new jet financing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I doubt it's skywest airlines mainline creation, or anything of the sort. Delta management want's the 717's, CRJ1000's at a regional level and Skywest is trying to show Delta they could finance it themselves. I agree with the above mentioned that Skywest would only do it, provided they could lock in a 15 or some long time contract. Delta is probing their pilot group, Skywest (and certainly other carriers) are all tossing out bids.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments... not used to that on FI. Me personally, I would like to see mainline flying stay at mainline. Future job prospects and such. Mainline carriers care more about numbers than people... always have, always will

Laugh at me but hear me out. ACA tried it and failed. ExpressJet failed. Republic Holdings tried it and is failing. SkyWest Inc has had the time, resources and ability to learn from everything else that has happened...

The reason the above failed is because selling tickets requires selling a brand. No brand, no ticket sales. Americans only assume you run a safe airline if they recognize the brand. But they have no problem buying a Delta ticket and riding on some startup regional, because they assume Delta ensures it's safe. So the key to making a new startup mainline airline work is to sell tickets under an existing brand, where both the cheap startup and existing brand share the profits. Could it work? Depends on how much you could fool both the DL mainline pilots and the general public.

Sorry for the drift, but I have to stick up for the ExpressJet branded flying. The reason it failed had nothing to do with market conditions or fuel spiking. The thing shut down with 90% load factors. It shut down due to Continental wanting their 145XRs back after making a major blunder in giving them up, and XJT being forced into a really bad position thanks to Skywest.

The reason the above failed is because selling tickets requires selling a brand. No brand, no ticket sales. Americans only assume you run a safe airline if they recognize the brand. But they have no problem buying a Delta ticket and riding on some startup regional, because they assume Delta ensures it's safe. So the key to making a new startup mainline airline work is to sell tickets under an existing brand, where both the cheap startup and existing brand share the profits. Could it work? Depends on how much you could fool both the DL mainline pilots and the general public.

well, now the cat's out of the bag and we know your trick-thanks for telling us!

I've got a better rumor.

United takes back their scope and delta continues to park the useless 50 seaters thus cutting skywest in half.

Let's hope this tumor starts the shrink. We're already seeing it with pinnacle and let's hope EVERY regional ends up like them and mesa.

Shrinkage is a good thing in the regional world.

well, now the cat's out of the bag and we know your trick-thanks for telling us!

Just for the record, it's not MY trick! I'm just wondering if management could get away with something like this. I'd still like to hear from any mainline pilots regarding what's in their scope section concerning codesharing.

yeah, i meant skyw inc. I don't feel like deciphering the scope section for codeshare right now, but it appears that for the foreign code share and the agreements with Alaska etc..we have different clauses in there. Who knows what will happen during these current contract negotiations.

It's pretty simple. SKW got approved for a multi billion dollar loan. Well of course they did. Inc has an excellent credit rating. They aren't going to execute the loan until they have a CPA with mainline carrier(s). Plenty of possibilities on where they're going with this one:

AMR CRJ900 or E170 flying
1 for 1 swap large RJ for E145 up to 75 aircraft for new United per CPA
Airways large RJ flying

Sorry for the drift, but I have to stick up for the ExpressJet branded flying. The reason it failed had nothing to do with market conditions or fuel spiking. The thing shut down with 90% load factors. It shut down due to Continental wanting their 145XRs back after making a major blunder in giving them up, and XJT being forced into a really bad position thanks to Skywest.

You might want to look at 10k and qs. They tell a different story.

Latest resources

Back