Regions Air????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Quincy wants a new airline

The Mayor of Quincy wants RegionsAir replaced due to low reliability...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mayor John Spring says RegionsAir continues to have trouble providing all of its scheduled daily flights between Quincy and St. Louis, and he's hoping federal officials will help Quincy find a new essential air service carrier.

Spring talked about the situation during a telephone interview while he was in Washington, D.C., attending the 75th winter meeting of the U.S. Conference of Mayors.

Spring, who returned home Saturday after five days at the conference, said he spent some time in Washington meeting with Sen. Dick Durbin, some of Durbin's staff and several transportation officials to discuss key issues facing Quincy, including RegionsAir's poor performance.

"They've gotten quite a bit better since a month ago. But they're still experiencing some difficulties with not having all four flights," Spring said. "They are better, but it's still not good enough."

The unreliable service is hurting Quincy because travelers are less inclined to use the Quincy airport if they can't be assured their flights will arrive and depart as scheduled. Ultimately, this can result in Quincy having fewer than the 10,000-minimum boardings the airport needs to keep receiving vital federal funding.

Spring is frustrated by the poor service and wants to see some improvement from RegionsAir.

"They're under an essential air service agreement," he said. "They received $1 million to help operate this, and they're not getting the job done. So I want to see us get a different carrier. That's what I'm fighting for, and that's what I'm talking about to these folks out here."

Spring said he received confirmation last week that RegionsAir is now for sale. "It is official now. They are looking for someone to buy their company," he said.

Spring said Durbin's staff assured him they will contact the U.S Department of Transportation on Quincy's behalf to seek improvements in service. Spring also had an opportunity to meet with a vice president of American Airlines to discuss future possibilities for Quincy.

Spring said RegionsAir's contract to provide essential air service to Quincy and several other communities will expire soon.

"Hopefully we'll get a stronger company to bid on that service and provide what we need," he said.

Mesa Airlines is scheduled to start serving Quincy on Thursday, providing links with Chicago's Midway Airport and Kansas City. Spring feels it's important to have a reliable link to St. Louis to complement Mesa's service.

"I'm elated that Sen. Durbin and his staff and American Airlines folks are going to work with us and maybe get this done," Spring said. "I'm hoping it will be a short timeline on that."

During the mayors conference, Spring attended a session focusing on transportation and communications issues. One speaker there was U.S. Rep. James Oberstar, a congressmen from Minnesota widely regarded as "the father of essential air service."

Spring said Oberstar touted the importance of providing air service to smaller communities. Several other speakers also spoke passionately about the same thing.

"They see a bright future for essential air service continuing," Spring said. "That sends a clear message that communities like Quincy need to have that tool to work with — not just for the business community but for their regular, everyday citizens for tourism and visitors."

Wow, WhateverUWant.. That's some pretty fresh news..

You know, I don't know what is worse, the sad condition of our airline, or the fact that people like you continue to find the need to talk trash about it.. I mean, do you really have that dismal of a life you need to continue to trash a place you most likely were fired from? ;)

Get a clue big fella..

WhateverUwant...what airline do you work for?

Wow, WhateverUWant.. That's some pretty fresh news..

You know, I don't know what is worse, the sad condition of our airline, or the fact that people like you continue to find the need to talk trash about it.. I mean, do you really have that dismal of a life you need to continue to trash a place you most likely were fired from? ;)

Get a clue big fella..

Tram,

WhateverUwant is just wishing he was still with Regions. Regionsair has a future outside of EAS and he hates to admit it. It means upgrades for current FO's and he just wishes he was still on board.

Who is s/he? When did s/he leave?

No clue...probably one of those that did not make it through groundschool

Last edited:
Tram,

WhateverUwant is just wishing he was still with Regions. Regionsair has a future outside of EAS and he hates to admit it. It means upgrades for current FO's and he just wishes he was still on board.

Huh??????

I was under the impression that their future was being measured now in days and hours...

Actually, it is starting to look like we may make it through this... :D

in the meantime let's continue the useless ramblings of a herd of disgruntled cockpit monkeys (i miss wulf and mccraken, don't you, belch?) and drag this thread out to 500 posts by the weekend. dang, copilotdoug is good for at least ten more posts alone.

Hehehehe...woofy and Phil...yeah, I miss them. Funny thing is that I had heard him called Phil so many times that I didn't know that wasn't his name...which led to some embarassment the first time I flew with him ;)!

Latest resources

Back