Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reasons why Airtran pilots are gonna LUV Southwest!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty, by your response I see that you feel strongly both ways. Which is it? A company that values their employees or the current lifestyle you enjoy today. Without this acquisition, tomorrow could be very different at AirTran (a 95%+ strike vote not too long ago should jar your memory). The TA probably would not be on the table as it has taken how long to hammer that out? From the looks of it, not too many SWA guys complaining over there. Those that do complain, take off the rose colored glasses, lose the sense of entitlement and see what is happening out in the real world. Just one opinion.
Fly safe, enjoy your families and Happy Holidays to all. (I know, I'm beginning to sound like the General)

It is interesting the SWA pilots care more about their junior dudes in this argument, knowing that many of them will have a worse shake at this then anyone else. From what I read the AT Captains are looking out for themselves more than seeing the huge benefit for their whole pilot group. Interesting. Sorry Ty I do not have to go back and read everything you ever wrote to see that the collective gain for AT employees is less important than keeping Christmas off.

There are a lot of junior Captains and First Officers at SWA who are under a lot more strain as we are a bigger company with bases all across the country. We just cannot move to ATL and be satisfied someplace in the system. We are coast to coast with a lot more exposure to displacements with bases size fluctuation. For a SWA pilot to go through displacement after displacement and carry the SWA culture and to see AT guys looking in like it is Thanksgiving and they are going to carve off the breast meat first, there is a little push back.

Say what you want, SWA pilots are going to protect ourselves first no matter what happens to a SLI and where everyone ends up. There are a lot more of us who are under strain and pressure of a fluctuating system then ya'all probably realize.

Carry on, AT guys will love to not to commute in time from so far away to ATL.

It is interesting the SWA pilots care more about their junior dudes in this argument, knowing that many of them will have a worse shake at this then anyone else. From what I read the AT Captains are looking out for themselves more than seeing the huge benefit for their whole pilot group. Interesting. Sorry Ty I do not have to go back and read everything you ever wrote to see that the collective gain for AT employees is less important than keeping Christmas off.

I disagree

There are a lot of junior Captains and First Officers at SWA who are under a lot more strain as we are a bigger company with bases all across the country. We just cannot move to ATL and be satisfied someplace in the system. We are coast to coast with a lot more exposure to displacements with bases size fluctuation. For a SWA pilot to go through displacement after displacement and carry the SWA culture and to see AT guys looking in like it is Thanksgiving and they are going to carve off the breast meat first, there is a little push back.

I had no idea about the base displacements. No I don't see SWA as a piece of Turkey to be eaten. Not even as a metaphor. I prefer the dark meat.

Say what you want, SWA pilots are going to protect ourselves first no matter what happens to a SLI and where everyone ends up. There are a lot more of us who are under strain and pressure of a fluctuating system then ya'all probably realize.

Had no idea. Wouldn't another base and growth (hiring) help this in the long run ?

Carry on, AT guys will love to not to commute in time from so far away to ATL.

I don't know what the last sentence means

What is the percentage of commuters at AT?
How many have ties out west or in the NE and would like to get back? Grammar not withstanding- I think the point is once the integration happens- it'll be nice to have more options for bases-

And I hear mini domiciles are right around the corner for all the san Antonio and pdx/sea commuters...

Thing is Ty- I get that you've carved your niche in a smaller major-and probably passed on other opportunities to keep that- but that was your choice and your risk to take-protecting your niche shouldn't be paramount- doing what's best for the combined company/pilot group ought to be- even if change comes knocking at your individual door- its a good reminder that something different doesn't mean something worse- it's often better if you can let go of your resistance-

The 717 seats 122 in an all coach class config. Same as the 737-500. I doubt there will be a different pay scale for the 717 but it could happen. Secondly the leases on the 717's don't start to expire until 2017. I think they will honor those agreements and probably keep the 717 if they find it fits well in certain markets. Especially if Boeing offers new leases at low ball rates. Just a guess on my part though. As far as training cost go there will probably be seat locks for a while then we will probably be able to bid off as your seniority holds what you prefer. A lot will depend on where they put the 717. If it goes to desirable bases there may be many who will bid it to get their domicile of choice. Then the vacancies will be back-filled by newhires. As far as training costs go that is just the cost of running an airline. Southwest is good at keeping its' cost structure down and I don't see that changing in the future. As far as what is being brought to the table in this transaction as positive or negative is purely based on your frame of reference. I for one am looking forward to getting this done and moving on with my life. For others here at the Tranny they might not not see this as a good deal. Time will tell my friends. We will all play the hand we are dealt and hopefully have fun doing it. Looking forward to feeling the LUV.

Cheers
but will you have to buy a DC-9 type rating in order to get hired?

If you are anything like me the thing you will like most about being at SWA is simple. This year I will have averaged 12 work days a month and will make 170K. Mid seniority FO. I really do like working here and have fun at work, but lets face it we do it for the money.

Let's keep the bickering on the other threads and reserve this one for good things!

What about heath care? How does that stack up?

but will you have to buy a DC-9 type rating in order to get hired?

No idea. I doubt they will require a 737 and a DC-9 type rating but time will tell. I guess they could continue the tradition of hiring without the type and then before class date require whatever type they will be hired into. Who knows?

We actually have a plan (c plan I think) that is ZERO cost. The premium, hot $hit plan, is almost $200/month for a dude and a whole family.

Our LOL (loss of license) pays Captains $11,500/month, tax free.
Our PMA pays FO's something like $6000/month tax free after you run out of sick bank.
Flight Physical reimbursement
Our Luke AFB boys are trying to get free prostate exams....not sure why.
Sick trip accrual is 10% of your monthly flying - 10 - 13 trips for pay per month.

Latest resources

Back