Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reasons why Airtran pilots are gonna LUV Southwest!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
210k is a 37% increase from 153k. However, the average SWA guy flies 110 trips per month, which is $245k. That is a 60% increase from AAI 12-year captain pay.

AAI FO pay is more in the +80% range. As a 5th year SWA FO, I make 12-year AAI captain pay (according to this website). I'm a commuter and NOT a varsity league bidder.

Don't forget the hugely reduced medical benefits, 1% union dues reduction, AMA overnights, ....

You guys are looking at the 2001 Contract Rates. Our Contract 2010 TA vote closes Friday. It's going to pass, unfortunately.

Am/pm

I dont know what Airtran schedules are like but one nice thing at Southwest are AM/PM trips. Your whole month can either be AM trips or PM trips. At my previous job it was a hybrid of both usually starting am finishing pm. Keeping these seperate in my opinion is one of the best ways to keep a little sanity in an airline schedule and helps you function a little more like a normal person. However if you choose to mix up trips for pay etc... have at it. The key at Southwest I think is choice. You have a choice to fly more, less, am, pm etc... One other thing we dont have which could be changing I guess is the Redeye.

Last edited:
Glad to see the positive shift in the conversation, but the pay difference for a 10th yr CA is really more like 30%, not 50%, and that's if he keeps his seat, other wise, it would be a substantial pay cut, not increase.

Ty,

Please take another look friend. You seem to have grossly underestimated our total compensation package. There is NO place on our senioirty list where a AAI pilot will be worse off. As long as the deal goes forward your pilots simply cannot lose!

I'm a 7 year FO who doesn't pick up much and I'm at 145 as of November 5th. I have peers who pull in considerably more.

Ty,
If this acquisition had not been announced, a pilot faced with a choice between SWA or AT, where would you go? Better yet, thread deviation, let's make this an informal poll. Personally, I would choose SWA for the reasons mentioned above. But hey, that is just me.

Speaking of DC-9's (717), this will be new to the SWA ops, will there be a different pay scale for an airplane carrying less pax? If so will the seats be filled by seniority? Will SWA require a DC-9 and 737 type to apply at a future SWA? Now we introduce the training lag as pilots play musical seats, more pilots off line for training, being paid but not producing revenue. Just thoughts, I am almost going to bet the DC9's are gone in 4 years so SWA can stay on its model of single equipment.

The 717 seats 122 in an all coach class config. Same as the 737-500. I doubt there will be a different pay scale for the 717 but it could happen. Secondly the leases on the 717's don't start to expire until 2017. I think they will honor those agreements and probably keep the 717 if they find it fits well in certain markets. Especially if Boeing offers new leases at low ball rates. Just a guess on my part though. As far as training cost go there will probably be seat locks for a while then we will probably be able to bid off as your seniority holds what you prefer. A lot will depend on where they put the 717. If it goes to desirable bases there may be many who will bid it to get their domicile of choice. Then the vacancies will be back-filled by newhires. As far as training costs go that is just the cost of running an airline. Southwest is good at keeping its' cost structure down and I don't see that changing in the future. As far as what is being brought to the table in this transaction as positive or negative is purely based on your frame of reference. I for one am looking forward to getting this done and moving on with my life. For others here at the Tranny they might not not see this as a good deal. Time will tell my friends. We will all play the hand we are dealt and hopefully have fun doing it. Looking forward to feeling the LUV.

Cheers

I almost forgot. We have kernels....lots of them. Never a dull moment with those cats. Denim shorts, black socks, sandals or running shoes, calculator watch, and a woven leather belt. Without those ingredients, it ain't a party.

:laugh:

Ty,
If this acquisition had not been announced, a pilot faced with a choice between SWA or AT, where would you go? Better yet, thread deviation, let's make this an informal poll. Personally, I would choose SWA for the reasons mentioned above. But hey, that is just me.

If you are asking if I would have left my spot as a mid-seniority AirTran 737 CA to become a SWA FO, the answer is "no". It's not all about the money, guys. I have an easy, one-hour on-line commute. I haven't worked a Thanksgiving, Christmas or 4th of July in . . . . I don't even know how long. I haven't flown a red-eye or a CDO since 2007. I show up, do my trips, and go home. Very simple.

Now, if you are asking if I would voluntarily go from being an AirTran CA to a SWA CA, the answer is yes. Why? It's not about the money . . . It's about working for a company that values its employees.

I dont know what Airtran schedules are like but one nice thing at Southwest are AM/PM trips. Your whole month can either be AM trips or PM trips. At my previous job it was a hybrid of both usually starting am finishing pm. Keeping these seperate in my opinion is one of the best ways to keep a little sanity in an airline schedule and helps you function a little more like a normal person. However if you choose to mix up trips for pay etc... have at it. The key at Southwest I think is choice. You have a choice to fly more, less, am, pm etc... One other thing we dont have which could be changing I guess is the Redeye.

Consistent sleep (and no alarm clocks) is the best thing about being a wn pilot-
Honestly.

Ty,

I have an easy, one-hour on-line commute. I haven't worked a Thanksgiving, Christmas or 4th of July in . . . . I don't even know how long. I haven't flown a red-eye or a CDO since 2007.

I haven't flown Christmas since I've been here and I have flown 1 Thanksgiving. I drive to work and arrived at the most senior base in a short period. I average 18 days off/month, will make over $150 for the year and pick up occasionally. We don't have red-eyes or CDOs.

I have been here less than 6 years and life is pretty good as a FO puke.

Ty,

I haven't flown Christmas since I've been here and I have flown 1 Thanksgiving. I drive to work and arrived at the most senior base in a short period. I average 18 days off/month, will make over $150 for the year and pick up occasionally. We don't have red-eyes or CDOs.

I have been here less than 6 years and life is pretty good as a FO puke.

Sounds like you've got it pretty good. So why would you want to screw all that up to be a junior CA commuting to OAK, again? Heh-heh!! :laugh:

Latest resources

Back