Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Reasons why Airtran pilots are gonna LUV Southwest!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't understand how AirTran pilots have any leverage. They gave it all up when they settled for a crappy TA. Southwest can easily bulldoze them over now, knowing that trannie pilots will probably take what they can get, or else go back to work under the new TA.

Bet SWA ultimately decides to walk away if things get too ugly.

Bet SWA ultimately decides to walk away if things get too ugly.
I got a C-note that says they don't. Care to exchange personal info so I can collect on my bet later? ;)

In truth, I don't believe it's going to "get ugly", and in practicality, once Southwest owns AirTran, even under Guadalupe, there's no "walking away". Just doesn't work like that. Not to mention none of the AAI people are really concerned by your comments, anyway... but it does make for typical FI trash talk, for those who like the "old style" FI. :smash:

Lear, You are correct! SWA isn't walking away from this unless the Sun doesn't rise on the morning of closing, but there are other ways to skin this cat if things start to get ugly. I for one hope BOTH pilot groups keep the term fair and equitable in mind when the negotiations start to progress.

Once again,,What's the issue? If there is a fair SLI integration via an arbitrator it seems some on both sides will have to deal with some possible seniority loss but the growth in the long run should negate that. Garuntee base and seat protection and it's a dead issue in the long run. Unless of course Delta were to aquire a low cost carrier to compete. Possibly sue for gates at Love and Hobby in order to kill the SouthWest monoply.

Are Love and Hobby slot controlled? I know DAL already goes into Hobby. Other than MAYBE MDW I don't think there is an airport that SWA dominates that any other airline could not go in and compete right now if they really wanted to.

DAL is open for business to all comers right now. American has come, and gone, twice in the past 10 years.

When the Wright Amendment goes bye bye (2014) and the new terminal is opened we have to give up a few gates. I "think" we will have 18/23 gates or so.

Gup

Gup, I was just having this conversation with a senior Capt out of DAL. He said, we only have 14 gates and thats all we will ever have. I haven't done any research on this....

16 gates for SWA, 2 for CAL, 2 (I believe) are still leased by AA but could become available to other airlines I believe.

16 is all that SWA will have thanks to the new law passed several years ago.

Latest resources

Back