• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Possible Violations @ CVG

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Discussions on FI are really getting bad...this is basic airmanship stuff...Shouldn't this be in the Flight Instruction section? At the rate we're going we are going to be discussing "ground effect! Myth or Reality?" by the end of the year.
Do you expect everyone to know everything? The truth is, a few people were wrong on this thread, not just one.

The Russian has extended this thread about ten posts longer than it needed to be.
Incorrect. The posters who never actually read the thread and saw that I corrected myself in my next post extended this longer than it should have been.

Here's the only answer.

GLIDESLOPE INTERCEPT ALTITUDE- The minimum altitude to intercept the glideslope/path on a precision approach. The intersection of the published intercept altitude with the glideslope/path, designated on Government charts by the lightning bolt symbol, is the precision FAF; however, when the approach chart shows an alternative lower glideslope intercept altitude, and ATC directs a lower altitude, the resultant lower intercept position is then the FAF.
Here's the link to the website the definition is located at. Notice the link starts with 'faa.gov', that's a pretty good indication it's good information.
That is exactly what I stated, proving that people who don't pay attention help to drag this out.

Incorrect. The posters who never actually read the thread and saw that I corrected myself in my next post extended this longer than it should have been.

That is exactly what I stated, proving that people who don't pay attention help to drag this out.

Do you want a cookie?

You've just extended the thread again to argue that you know what you are talking about. No one cares! You don't have to defend yourself, that is what's extending the thread which adds nothing.

I'm done with this thread, you can have the last word...I'm sure you'll take it.

Do you want a cookie?
Absolutely not.

You've just extended the thread again to argue that you know what you are talking about. No one cares! You don't have to defend yourself, that is what's extending the thread which adds nothing.
What?!?! You bumped the thread more than 24 hours after my last post and basically accused the discussion itself of not getting to the point! All the while, if you had read the thread thoroughly, you would see that we had reached the point and clarified everything. Everyone who posts in such a way, extends the thread. Don't be upset with me for using the forum for what it is designed for.

I'm done with this thread, you can have the last word...I'm sure you'll take it.
Don't take it so personally.

while I agree with most posts I also think the FAA could solve many of these problems by slightly changing the procedures.
Many modern jet airliners are not designed to over-ride the gs capture. For example the md-11, except for a few that have loc track only either do approach mode (full ILS) or you must do approach in NAV only which is based on IRU navigation resulting in less than precision tracking. Can it be done, yes, but at the same time my point is people are consistently screwing it up so what can we do to improve the approach?

while I agree with most posts I also think the FAA could solve many of these problems by slightly changing the procedures.
Many modern jet airliners are not designed to over-ride the gs capture. For example the md-11, except for a few that have loc track only either do approach mode (full ILS) or you must do approach in NAV only which is based on IRU navigation resulting in less than precision tracking. Can it be done, yes, but at the same time my point is people are consistently screwing it up so what can we do to improve the approach?
Can the MD11 Fly down hill in VS? and heading select?
I know it less than perfect but it might give some good pilot control that way.

By the way I agree with you about the faa. But lately it seams that we are forgetting how to hand fly the airplane.
Remember the days when you clicked off the autopilot at top of decent. how did we survive?
I miss flying jets. now we just try to stay ahead of the automation.

Omg

Are you kidding? Are you back in instrument kindergarden... I think there is a place for this question on the ABC's of flying on a different part of this site. You work for FedEx?

Running the numbers, LAMAH to ANTRI is 344 ft/nm, LAMAH to LOGOZ is 338 FT/NM, DULEY to LOGOZ is 333 ft/nm and LOGOZ to 2.9dme is 325 ft/nm. The 325 ft/nm is the "slope" of the glide slope. Work this backwards 2.9 dme to ANTRI is 14.2NM. At 325 ft/nm that puts ANTRI at 4647.5 feet above the 2.9dme fix. Add in 1260 (the MSL height you should be at over the 2.9dme fix) and you get 5875.

The chart itself is misleading. Most step downs have a "step" look to them. This looks like you are supposed to follow the GS from LAMAH inbound.

I don't have an IFH in front of me, but I seem to recall there being something specifically writting about "angled" lines and step like lines on approaches, but I may be starting to loose it.

USAF interpretation

Here's how the USAF IFR rules reads:

11.5.5. Altitude. When cleared for the approach, maintain the last assigned altitude until established on a segment of a published route or IAP. At that time, the pilot may descend to the minimum altitude associated with that segment of the published routing or instrument approach procedure.

Hence, the pilot would need to meet the stepdown altitudes, and not go below just because they are established on glideslope.

Exactly.

Some operators and aircraft types require a different configuration to "dive and drive" resulting in wasted fuel, pollution, noise and slower approach speeds.

I'm kinda glad someone mentioned this in a public forum so we can all be aware of the issue. Most of us probably would have caught it, but getting close to a 16 hour duty day I think anyone can get a little lazy and couple the thing up with the glideslope.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back