• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Possible Violations @ CVG

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The maltese cross is the FAF fix for the LOC approach which uses the same plate, not the ILS. FAF for the ILS is glide slope intercept at, or below, the published G/S intercept altitude.

After looking at the plate the faf is 2400' that is where you may continue down the glide slope,
before that you have step down fixes. if you intercept the gs out past the iaf then it may bring you below the step downs. There is also 2 separate notes that state "2500 when auth by atc, and 2400' when auth by atc. if you are told Maintain 7000' cleared for the ils 18c then I would be aware of the step downs. If you are at 7000' or higher and are told maintain 2400 cleared for the ils then you may proceed to follow the gs from the iaf in bound.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Only with reference to specific procedures and profile flying. The FAF on the ILS is depicted by the maltese cross on the approach. It can be defined only by a second navaid or DME.
The FAF on an ILS is Glideslope intercept, not the maltese cross. The cross is the FAF if you were to fly localizer only

Showtime is correct.....Where the feathered barb ends, is where you can safely follow the glideslope inbound. Before that comply with stepdown fixes and altitudes.

The maltese cross is the FAF fix for the LOC approach which uses the same plate, not the ILS. FAF for the ILS is glide slope intercept at, or below, the published G/S intercept altitude.
The maltese cross serves as the final approach fix for both approaches or one depending on its depicted position and use.

The FAF on an ILS is Glideslope intercept, not the maltese cross. The cross is the FAF if you were to fly localizer only
Not for determining segments of the ILS or position reporting requirements. The actual FAF can be positioned lower than the GS intercept.

Say GS intercept can be achieved as published at 5000' msl with a field elevation of zero and the FAF is published at 2000' msl. Would you put the gear down, call for landing/final checks and report FAF inbound at GS intercept while still at 5000'?

Showtime is correct.....Where the feathered barb ends, is where you can safely follow the glideslope inbound. Before that comply with stepdown fixes and altitudes.
I feel he is correct also. Do you have any reference for this?

The maltese cross serves as the final approach fix for both approaches or one depending on its depicted position and use.

Not for determining segments of the ILS or position reporting requirements. The actual FAF can be positioned lower than the GS intercept.

Say GS intercept can be achieved as published at 5000' msl with a field elevation of zero and the FAF is published at 2000' msl. Would you put the gear down, call for landing/final checks and report FAF inbound at GS intercept while still at 5000'?
What the hell are you talking about

For clarification of my point, I should include that the FAF on the ILS is only the same as GS intercept when at the minimum altitude authorized for the approach.

Latest resources

Back