Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kwik,

Stop embarrassing yourself.

The max allowable in dry is 45, the max demonstrated in certification was 38.

Plenty of factors you are not considering. To call out a VERY experienced pilot on taking the safest course of action on an aircraft you have absolutely no clue about....is - well - pathetic. The B77W is longer than the 744 (The Captains previous type)

Grow up, and introduce a level of maturity beyond the word "Pucci"

fv

Thanks for the compliment, and yes
I started flying heavies about twenty
years ago.

When you Assume, you make an
Ass out of, What's that saying again?

So you started flying heavies 20 years ago...and put every aircraft on your profile except all those heavies?

"Handling the Big jets" - what did you fail the CX interview?

Terrible book.

fv

Last edited:
Try "Handling the Big Jets" by Davies.

It's a good read. Some good techniques!

Try reading the Boeing 777 Flight Crew Training manual....It contains more pertinent information to landing the triple seven in a crosswind. You can't win this argument. But kudos for trying.

None of the jets I've flown are certified to a 40kt crosswind. Are they certified to that amount?

If they aren't certified to 40kts how can you have that as a legal alternate?

I ask because I know pretty much zero about heavy jets and ETOPS.

The key is Max "Demonstrated". Boeing says that as a baseline but tested crosswinds in certification at speeds much higher at KEF and elsewhere with success. The individual airline must petition the POI and get the training program changed and syllabus adjusted and the rubber stamp follows.

It is hilarious that the Emirates guys are getting more criticism for safely commencing a go around at the right airport...than the Atlas guys that landed at the completely wrong airport........

Its amazing reading the Atlas thread, "oh, its easy to do that" or "it can and will happen to you someday"

I'm sorry, but landing a modern glass cockpit aircraft at the wrong airport is 100% pure incompetence and 100% pure lack of airmanship and those guys should have all their certificates revoked and the training program at Atlas should have a severe audit by the FAA.

Jeezz..... Really?????????? All you folks would do the same thing if your FO at the last minute decided to yell, "Holy Crap we're at the wrong Airport!"

I once landed a fully loaded plane with 789 people on a aircraft carrier at night with a 80 knot crosswind. I didn't even ask for a wind check...rolled it on. Then went to the bar with all of my hot flight attendants where they all bought me a drink...met two hookers who paid me because they knew who the cap'n was...all while wearing my hat...and my Dos Equis in hand.

Latest resources

Back