• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Plane forced to abort landing in high winds

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
? It looked like a private pilot making his first crosswind landing.

He needed to use the rudder to straighten out, and put it on the ground!

Have you flown a 777 300ER? I'm guessing not. The recommended Boeing method during a strong crosswind >30kts is to maintain the crab until just prior to touchdown. So you actually start your flare and then about 10 feet above the ground you straighten out the aircraft for touchdown. It can be extremely tricky during gusty conditions. BHX is one of the shortest runways for EK 777 ops. They were probably at MLW (about 550,000lbs) landing on a 2,600m, potentially wet runway.

Looks like they did a very good job and kept the ops safe.

KyBrownBourbn

Just an FYI. The majority of EK pilots are European, British, or North American. Many ex BA, Air Canada, etc, etc.

Saw it on TV multiple times today, BFD! It's what we get paid to do! I don't fly the "Big Boys" but what is the "Demonstrated crosswind limitation" of the type (think it was a 76 but video I saw was grainy.)? Was wondering if hand flying would've made a difference. don't know about that carrier but some of the foreign carriers pilots are not known to have the best piloting abilities! (Ie. San Fran a few months ago!)

Later,
KBB

What makes you think he wasn't hand flying? Looked like a perfect approach and the skills to see that the wind was not going to allow a safe touchdown. As far as "foreign" airline pilots go, never heard of an EK Captain grabbing the yoke during the landing and hammer the nosewheel on to the ground and destroy and aircraft.... glass houses dude. SFO at least has the highly likely scenario that extreme fatigue due to 10 hours of IOE was a reason, so not necessarily a bad pilot. No I am not slamming your airline, they are just as good as anyone else. But if you think you are better then them you are wrong (Unless you are talking about some third world airlines that I can think of, yes you are better than them!)

So why even attempt it??

..why not divert before getting there. Just askin' I wasn't there, but anything like that out of limits would warrant a simple approach and landing to the alternate.

So why even attempt it??

..why not divert before getting there. Just askin' I wasn't there, but anything like that out of limits would warrant a simple approach and landing to the alternate.

Well.....first you would have to know what winds he was given before he started the approach and what they were when he was landing......OK, someone make a comment about Delta and "Wind Check"....:)

Yes, not Alabama. You trying to give the General an opening about SWA pilots and international flying?:)

I clearly have to work on my flame
Looks like a fun day
How it's news I don't know
I'm pretty sure we all get one close to this a few times a year

777 allows a landing in a crab during crosswind, in fact it's one of the options outlined in the Book.

? It looked like a private pilot making his first crosswind landing.

He needed to use the rudder to straighten out, and put it on the ground!
Right! Never go around! It's unmanly! The most important thing in any landing is that no one make fun of you later that couldn't step up to the double-dog-dare.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back