• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Plane forced to abort landing in high winds

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The closest hourly observation for their arrival time show winds westerly at 25G39kts.

Runway is 33/15, the video appears to show them using 33 which would give them a 60 degree wind off set or crosswind component of 22G34kts approx.

Available stop distance for runway 33 is 2100m or 6900ft.

A memorable arrival possibly but appears to be within limits

Scoreboard perhaps, given the conditions, a windshear warning caused the G/A which would preclude config changes till clear of the shear. Just speculation but a possible reason.
That makes sense.

Kwick
Get a grip man.
Ever get a windshear warning that mandated a go around in clear air gusty conditions?
The 777 doesn't call for rudder until the round out, so maybe that's what happened. Or maybe coffee spilled on the floor and made the flyer's feet a little slippery?

I agree with the previous poster- why are we talking about a go around? Wtf cares?
Good for the soul as pilots, paid more, and none of us know why-
Anyone die?
Good!
Good call.
I love the pilots who are spring loaded to think everyone sucks but them

Here, want to see some sporty winds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMvLuUJFHYk

Mixed in are a couple go arounds- oh the horror
:-/

The Capt is a North American DEC with extensive LHS wide body experience.

He took a look, didn't like, came back later ...and all went to the bar.

This is a non-thread.

fv

The Capt is a North American DEC with extensive LHS wide body experience.

He took a look, didn't like, came back later ...and all went to the bar.

This is a non-thread.

fv

Did she used to work for Southwest, up until recently?

Did she used to work for Southwest, up until recently?

You are criticizing him without knowing what the hell you are talking about.
Kwick, you come across as one who needs to criticize others to cover your own shortcomings and you obviously have a had time seeing when you are wrong, bad traits for an airline pilot dude.

It's hard to believe that guys can get
to this level without knowing how to
do a crosswind landing.

Maybe it's the automation, or
the reliance upon PFT.

Kwick,

You sound like a dumb@ss. I will say again that Boeing recommends either a decrab or landing IN THE CRAB in severe crosswinds. It is an approved/proven technique. Those pilots were flying exactly by the book. The traditional sideslip (wing low) method runs the risk of striking a nacelle or outboard flap in strong gusts. I can assure you these guys know how to do a crosswind landing.

The 777 300ER is about twice as long as your 737. It's a big plane requiring different handling methods from what you are used to. I'm surprised you made it to your level without learning yet that you might not know everything.

They recently raised our Xwind limit to 40 knots....I was told just so we could utilize ETOPS alternate airports which may have otherwise been bypassed due to winds and added flight time, fuel, ($$$) to the flight. The company sorta put the caveat that best judgement should be used in landing in these conditions.....READ: Unless you got an engine out over a big body of water, don't try this.

None of the jets I've flown are certified to a 40kt crosswind. Are they certified to that amount?

If they aren't certified to 40kts how can you have that as a legal alternate?

I ask because I know pretty much zero about heavy jets and ETOPS.

Kwick,

You sound like a dumb@ss. I will say again that Boeing recommends either a decrab or landing IN THE CRAB in severe crosswinds. It is an approved/proven technique. Those pilots were flying exactly by the book. The traditional sideslip (wing low) method runs the risk of striking a nacelle or outboard flap in strong gusts. I can assure you these guys know how to do a crosswind landing.

The 777 300ER is about twice as long as your 737. It's a big plane requiring different handling methods from what you are used to. I'm surprised you made it to your level without learning yet that you might not know everything.

Then don't use the rudder to
straighten out, with a wings level
landing.

And keep making "How not to do it"
videos for You Tube!

Latest resources

Back