• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pinnacle, Mesaba, Colgan SLI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone try running the lists using DOH then run the list using Relative and combine the two. Not sure how it would come out but seams like it might address some of the extreame cases of QOL changes

Just a thought from an outsider

How about separating the captains and the first officers into two groups. Date of hire for captains and relative for first officers, and then add the first officers to the bottom of the captains' list. Just a thought from a businessman with 31 years of non-aviation personnel department experience!

How about separating the captains and the first officers into two groups. Date of hire for captains and relative for first officers, and then add the first officers to the bottom of the captains' list. Just a thought from a businessman with 31 years of non-aviation personnel department experience!

Thinking outside of the box is what we all need. The process that you brought up would have difficulties because some FO, choose to be FO's. There are some out there with 10, 11, even 12 years of longevity.

Why? How about DOH? Done.

Thinking outside of the box is what we all need. The process that you brought up would have difficulties because some FO, choose to be FO's. There are some out there with 10, 11, even 12 years of longevity.

Wouldn't that put those who were fos for all those years at the top of the fo list giving them the first shot at upgrades, schedules, vacations? What would they lose? Again, I'm an outsider making suggestions to a difficult challenge where there doesn't appear to be an easy solution.

Perhaps adding a clause stating FOs, who were placed on the list by relative position in the SLI, when upgrading will be reslotted on the seniority list by their DOH. Those who want to stay FOs will probably still be on or near the top of their seniority list of FOs for choice schedules, vacation and upgrades.

Wouldn't that put those who were fos for all those years at the top of the fo list giving them the first shot at upgrades, schedules, vacations? What would they lose? Again, I'm an outsider making suggestions to a difficult challenge where there doesn't appear to be an easy solution.

Even though I am a Captain and have 12 years of Senority, if an FO upgrades and have been here for 13 years they will be senior. Captain, FO makes no difference on longevity.

Your senority doesn't reset when you upgrade to Captain.

There is something that a lot of people are forgetting in the little SLI discussion and that is the word "windfall".

In the context of the SLI and ALPA merger policy (something the arbitrator will have to use), there is a line that states something about no single pilot group can receive a "Windfall" or excessive benefit over another or other pilot groups. It could be argued that with the changes in work rules, pay, etc PLUS the added potential of placing a 3 year "Q" captain at the same seniority as a 9 to 12 year 900 captain would be a "windfall". Same could be said for a 2 year FO getting placed with 5 to 7 year FO's and Captains.

After hearing arguments from each group the arbitrator will go in a room and decide then bang - it's a seniority list. I'd prefer this to NOT go to arbitration because there could be some compromise, whereas arbitration could be a poo sandwich for a lot of us.

What I want is to be secure in my seat, my base, get off reserve some time before retirement, and the knowledge that I will get the 900 or "Q" some time in the reasonable future. That and not being JM'd on my days off or having sneaky extensions. Other than that I can be real flexible without the need to crush someone else.

There is something that a lot of people are forgetting in the little SLI discussion and that is the word "windfall".

In the context of the SLI and ALPA merger policy (something the arbitrator will have to use), there is a line that states something about no single pilot group can receive a "Windfall" or excessive benefit over another or other pilot groups. It could be argued that with the changes in work rules, pay, etc PLUS the added potential of placing a 3 year "Q" captain at the same seniority as a 9 to 12 year 900 captain would be a "windfall". Same could be said for a 2 year FO getting placed with 5 to 7 year FO's and Captains.

After hearing arguments from each group the arbitrator will go in a room and decide then bang - it's a seniority list. I'd prefer this to NOT go to arbitration because there could be some compromise, whereas arbitration could be a poo sandwich for a lot of us.

What I want is to be secure in my seat, my base, get off reserve some time before retirement, and the knowledge that I will get the 900 or "Q" some time in the reasonable future. That and not being JM'd on my days off or having sneaky extensions. Other than that I can be real flexible without the need to crush someone else.

That was well said "Mr Hirboubi" I agree on what you have stated. I want everyone to also realise that there are a lot of senior Saab captains and FO's that will soon need new spots. What I heard in recurrent is that sometime this summer MEM and DTW will be gone as Saab bases and next winter MSP will be gone. I have not looked in MEM or DTW but the last time I looked at the Captain list there are about 40 pilots more senior to the both of us. If I do my math right (make all the jokes you want about that) but I am about 20 numbers shy of holding a MSP captain position as things sit right now. The only way I will not be commuting will be if people leave to Delta or elsewhere in the next year.

That said I also think this TA was signed so quickly because there is something bigger than Saab flying coming our way. It is only because I am trying to think positive but I hope it is something like Q's in MSP or out west somewhere. I have commuted to reserve and do not want to do it again-I would hate to have to take a Fo position in MSP and be a almost 9 year FO and maybe not even be in the top 5! Oh and I have ran into a few FO's that think that those Saab pilots must stay in the Saab if they are displaced from MSP DTW or MEM. This is not the case, they will take whatever their seniority can hold them

Latest resources

Back