Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots wearing backpacks??? lets get campy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't agree with Rez on almost ANYTHING.

I think his views on Wal-Mart are absurd. 9 time out of 10 I read his posts and think that he might be unstable.

But this time I'm behind him 100%.

We can not be expected to be treated like professionals and compensated like professionals if we are incapable of CARRYING ourselves like professionals.

That means that give the same attention to detail to the way you LOOK as you do to the way you fly your airplane.

Yes, friends. Backpacks are unprofessional. If you REALLY need that extra storage capacity, most luggage manufacturers make a "gym bag" that matches your luggage and is designed to go over the handle of your rollaboard and clip to the top.

If you were lying on the operating table, the doctor shows up wearing a t-shirt that says, "Beer: Getting White Guys Laid for 200 years", shorts, and sandles... is that ok?

If you're in a courtroom being defended by an attorney who, instead of a suit, wears a wife-beater, sweatpants, and nikes that light-up when he steps... is that ok?

Like it or not, first impressions matter. We operate in a business where a large percentage of our CUSTOMERS are first-time or nervous flyers. They hand over control of their lives to you professional pilots.

REGARDLESS of how good a "stick" you are -- they will snap to judgement of you based on your appearance. They have nothing else to go on.

REGARDLESS of how little you get paid, or how little they paid for their ticket, your obligation to be a professional is not lessened.

Maybe you kids could LEARN a little something from the older guys who are giving you a hard time -- if you would just park the attitude for a little while and LISTEN.

Or don't. And by the time YOUR kids are old enough to go to work for an airline, maybe it will be no more dignified a career than a fry-cook for McDonalds.

If you saw the comair pilot wearing their headset and it bothered YOU why didn't YOU say something to them or pass a note or or ..... instead of just posting it hear and asking that someone do something... aren't YOU someone?

BenderGonzales said:

We can not be expected to be treated like professionals and compensated like professionals if we are incapable of CARRYING ourselves like professionals.

That means that give the same attention to detail to the way you LOOK as you do to the way you fly your airplane.

Yes, friends. Backpacks are unprofessional. If you REALLY need that extra storage capacity, most luggage manufacturers make a "gym bag" that matches your luggage and is designed to go over the handle of your rollaboard and clip to the top.

If you were lying on the operating table, the doctor shows up wearing a t-shirt that says, "Beer: Getting White Guys Laid for 200 years", shorts, and sandles... is that ok?

If you're in a courtroom being defended by an attorney who, instead of a suit, wears a wife-beater, sweatpants, and nikes that light-up when he steps... is that ok?

Your post is a one big nonsequitur. A backpack is not anything like a physician wearing beer shirts, sandals and shorts or attorneys in wife-beaters, sweatpants, Nikes etc............not even close. It's a bag and the bag is a tool of the trade. What difference does it make if it is slung over your shoulders or strapped to your suitcase?

it is just a trendy thing adopted by the more youthful end of the group...and trends come and go. now what is really dumb looking is a 50something with a backpack and rubber colored bracelet:D

BornAgainPagan said:
Your post is a one big nonsequitur. A backpack is not anything like a physician wearing beer shirts, sandals and shorts or attorneys in wife-beaters, sweatpants, Nikes etc............not even close. It's a bag and the bag is a tool of the trade. What difference does it make if it is slung over your shoulders or strapped to your suitcase?

BAP. Don't use big words like nonsequitur that I have to look up....

How about taking the burden of proof.. You tell us the difference between wearing your luggage or pulling it?

Perhaps BenderGonzolas was stretching the examples too far with the beer T-shirt and wife beater, however it was used to illustrate the point. If you take the time to read this entire thread you will see the argurements against the backpack very effective and quite clear. In addition they support promoting and defending the professional image. The arguements for the backpack are centered towards the convienence of the individual.

Finally, to try and define a back pack as a professional pilots tool of the trade is insulting to every true professional who spends hundreds of dollars on Scott style leather flight cases and Luggage Works type overnight rollerboards instead of a $30 schoolboy backpack.

That dovetails deeper into the issue. The rest of us are working hard and taking the time to polish our shoes, press our shirts, comb our hair and spend the money to get professional gear so when we come to work we can represent the 100,000 Air Line Pilots properly.....

Then along comes someone trying to game the system at everyone elses expenses.....

The backpack is representative of the larger issue....

Respect for yourself and your fellow pilots.

We not me.

crashpad said:
If I ever see a pilot with a backpack on in our terminal, I'll personally take them aside and stuff him or her inside it!

Ill wear my F'in backpack if I want asshole! You even come near me and Ill shove my fist down your throat!!!

Perhaps the so-called 'professional image' all pilots are supposed to portray is different from company to company. Corporate culture dictatates wide and varying degrees of acceptability in uniform style and the use of other 'accessories.' A BE1900 operator flying into and out of uncontrolled fields in Wyoming or Colorado breeds a certain outdoor-type culture that may be more comfortable sporting the backpack. In fact, the passengers may relate better to such a pilot. Instead of 'look at that pilot's gay hat and flight case' there may be a 'hey, that's the same pack I use. I wonder if they've skied any sweet jumps lately.'

On a similar note, there is never any excuse to wear an unkept or sloppy uniform. That's why God created irons.

-Dog

Latest resources

Back