Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots wearing backpacks??? lets get campy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Idiot non-uniform wearin, bozo shoe wearin, crumb cake dorks that put mainline stickers or tags on their bags so that others might think they fly the big jets, wear their tie half undone, or thier clip-ons half off, or even no tie at all walking through the terminal, or think that if they just take off thier tie and boards they can drink in the bar, or commute more comfortably in disguise............ degenerates.

Last edited:
I have one better !!

I just DH to CVG in the back of an MD80. While reading the paper I looked up to see some jack-off wearing his headsets with boom mike !! I thought I must be mistaken. Clearly I was mistaken and just some guy wearing a Bose noise XL headset. NOPE, a Comair Cpt was wearing his Bose headsets in full uniform in the back of the MD80.
I do nto think the back-pack is that big of a deal if you are hauling books to study from, but this IDIOT was an embarrassment to us all.
Someone needs to tell him to knock it off.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
It is all about preception. What does your fellow pilot think? If you don't care what your fellow pilot thinks than you have an attitude problem.

At UAL (correct me if I'm wrong fellas), the company buys your bag, so they can have policy that says no stickers, including company and ALPA. Some guys do..most guys don't at UAL.

I have ALPA stickers, US Flag, and of course my BAFAN Sticker. Sure no stickers would be better, but I don't think my stickers are embarrassing to my fellow pilots or would cause concern for my passengers...

I flew with a guy that a simple 'dmb' sticker..... no big deal. Considered it myself...

Now the stickers that say "I'm not a pilot, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Last Night" might be funny to the user, but the pax afraid of flying might not find comfort in it.

I guess I could be percieved as a self proclaimed annoying pain in the as$. My intent is to offer opinions and influence. Not dictate.....

does this mean that if a fellow pilot told you they thought your stickers on your flight case was unprofessional you would remove them?

I'm not sure how you can relate backpacks to school kids but not stickers? my daughter has "Dora the Explorer" stickers and all kinds of other stickers she gets from school for doing something good on her notebook and backpack. I would imagine her stickers are just as important to her to have on her school kid style backpack as you do on your professional flight case. I personally dont care if a guy has stickers on his or her flight case it's just not my thing. I'm sure there are things the guys that have been around for an extended period of time did when they first started that they were told would be the end of the idustry as i'm sure when we're the "cagy old vets" we will have something to say about the "kids" coming behind us. If anything I find it more of a concern that we(myself included) are spending this much time debating backpacks when NWA is in the processes of busting unions and talking about farming out the the Pilots flying to Champion Air, another ALPA unit. I guess management really is smater than us, they can slide this under the radar by reading this board and see what really matters to us......stickers and backpacks..

hbrow15 said:
does this mean that if a fellow pilot told you they thought your stickers on your flight case was unprofessional you would remove them?

I'm not sure how you can relate backpacks to school kids but not stickers? my daughter has "Dora the Explorer" stickers and all kinds of other stickers she gets from school for doing something good on her notebook and backpack. I would imagine her stickers are just as important to her to have on her school kid style backpack as you do on your professional flight case. I personally dont care if a guy has stickers on his or her flight case it's just not my thing. I'm sure there are things the guys that have been around for an extended period of time did when they first started that they were told would be the end of the idustry as i'm sure when we're the "cagy old vets" we will have something to say about the "kids" coming behind us. If anything I find it more of a concern that we(myself included) are spending this much time debating backpacks when NWA is in the processes of busting unions and talking about farming out the the Pilots flying to Champion Air, another ALPA unit. I guess management really is smater than us, they can slide this under the radar by reading this board and see what really matters to us......stickers and backpacks..

Well...someone asked so I replied...

Not sure how an american flag or an ALPA sitcker that says "70 years of safety" is an issue.

Now if you daughter or mine had a sticker that said, 'I toke the rock', I'd be concered. Quit trying to black and white the issue.

As far as NWA, bankruptcy.... as I said, backpacks and stickers is representative of attitude. Most airlines that offer career employment know how to detect "attitude".

With the right attitude we can unify and beat managment at its game. When there are pilots that are distracting by carving out thier own convienences and genre, like backpacks, Bose headsets, "anti establishement" stickers, it it also divisive...

Get the point? We not me.

Morman or Moron?

A few weeks ago I was sitting in a hotel van with my crew while awaiting the arrival of another crew at the airport. I was watching for the other crew to appear when I noticed a young man with his white shirt, black pants and tie wearing a backpack standing on the curb near the van. I mentioned to the others seated with me, "I wonder if the Morman guys are coming along with us."

Shortly thereafter, the "Morman" shifted his backpack straps which revealed to me that he was wearing three stripes on that shoulder. No hat and wearing a backpack! Who knew?!? I was staring a real airline pilot! It also turns out that he was not one of the crew members going to my hotel.

Sure, he may be able to out-fly me six out of the seven days of the week, but I did not get any sense of confidence looking at him. Image isn't everything, but it is a HUGE part. Get in the game.

Last edited:
Rez O. Lewshun said:
Well...someone asked so I replied...

Not sure how an american flag or an ALPA sitcker that says "70 years of safety" is an issue.

Now if you daughter or mine had a sticker that said, 'I toke the rock', I'd be concered. Quit trying to black and white the issue.

As far as NWA, bankruptcy.... as I said, backpacks and stickers is representative of attitude. Most airlines that offer career employment know how to detect "attitude".

With the right attitude we can unify and beat managment at its game. When there are pilots that are distracting by carving out thier own convienences and genre, like backpacks, Bose headsets, "anti establishement" stickers, it it also divisive...

Get the point? We not me.

you dont see how your stickers is a problem but you said earlier that it was about what your fellow pilot thinks so again if a few had a problem with it would you remove them.
obviously it's not black and white for you but it is for me.. If the company allows it then its personal preference it not then there is no discussion you dont do it. Example my company does not require hats, so I dont wear one in the summer uniform, but as a military guy that was a hard adjustment being in uniform without a cover but it's more comfortable being based in IAH, but when in the winter I always wear a hat. I always thought the short sleeves with a tie looks stupid, we look like an office copier repairman. i never wore short sleeves until I was with the airlines. I think if you wear a tie long sleeves look more professional but my company does not allow long sleeves without the blazer. As it was said before this is just one of these things where we agree to disagree so everyone follow the companies guidelines.

I carry all my food in my backpack for a 4 day trip since I'm still a starving 2nd yr FO. Our 2nd year pay here at TSA is lowest in the industry for a jet operator. Yes, even lower than Mesa. Their's goes to 28 2nd yr. Ours is a whopping 25! Catches up on 3rd yr, though, up to 33 an hr. 5 more months.............!!!

Airline passengers look like bus passengers now and act like them to. Air fares look like bus fares. Now airline pilots are looking like bus drivers, but most of them wear their hats…….

I use a backpack to carry my charts and jepps in, hang it on the back of the right seat ( or in front if no one in it) makes it easier to reach during the flight. Ii has a handle on the top tho' so I carry it like a piece of luggage thu the FBO's and airports. In response to the look , I see no problem if it matches the rest of the luggage and looks better than the ones you get for the school kids.

Latest resources

Back