Pilots wearing backpacks??? lets get campy?

Holy Shiite

Total Time
plenty
I have a seen what appear to be a few new hires at comair wearing backpacks.
This while in uniform and on the job. Both Pilots were female if that makes any difference? IMO, this is very unprofessional and certainly looks cheezy. Do any other regional airlines allow this? I am sure no majors allow this as part of the "standard" uniform. What's the consensus here? Is it ok to "get campy?" I'm ready to puke. HS

k_EAT=ho_ME

Closet User...shhhh!
Total Time
~2300
....And they're off!!!!

BlackPilot628

Total Time
5000+
Holy Shiite said:
This while in uniform and on the job. Both Pilots were female if that makes any difference? IMO, this is very unprofessional and certainly looks cheezy. Do any other regional airlines allow this? I am sure no majors allow this as part of the "standard" uniform. What's the consensus here? Is it ok to "get campy?" I'm ready to puke. HS
We had some people wear Backpack at Corpex (Regions Air) when ever they were flying "Naps" or CDO's. No one every complained about it to them. I myself just carried a little Laptop bag with everything I needed on CDO's.

Yank McCobb

Song and Dance Man
Total Time
Who cares? If this is such a big deal to you, approach the pilots in question directly, if you have the guts.

Otherwise, get a life.

CF34-3B1

Total Time
this issue came up a while back in the "no hat" thread.

At ASA it's against the uniform policy, but some people still do it.

I agree, it looks a bit cheesy especially on a 20 something pilot. Too much of a high school student look.

JMHO

sf3boy

Total Time
i quit
Backpacks are mandatory at Pinnacle. I even saw one guy with the embroiderd CREW tag on it. Sweet.

Spinplate

Total Time
BlackPilot628 said:
We had some people wear Backpack at Corpex (Regions Air) when ever they were flying "Naps" or CDO's. No one every complained about it to them. I myself just carried a little Laptop bag with everything I needed on CDO's.
How long ago were you at Regions?

NoJoy

LAMA/400
Total Time
Yanks offended because he wears a backpack too.

Yank McCobb

Song and Dance Man
Total Time
Yank is killing his last week before retirement. No backpack, no suitcase, no hotel.

I'm not "offended". I just find it amusing how so many people think what others do is their business, and will do whatever it takes to MAKE it their business. Except anything that will actually matter.

Sounds like you too could use a life.

SkyBoy1981

Bring a towel!
Total Time
Yank McCobb said:
Yank is killing his last week before retirement. No backpack, no suitcase, no hotel..
Congrats on that. Hope you enjoy retirement.

As far as the original post, there are a lot of female purses now that resemble backpacks (I only know this because my younger sister has one of these). I've seen several female pilots with them. Although they go around the shoulders like a conventional backpack, they are much smaller and are considered to be more like a purse.

Spinplate

Total Time
SkyBoy1981 said:
Congrats on that. Hope you enjoy retirement.

As far as the original post, there are a lot of female purses now that resemble backpacks (I only know this because my younger sister has one of these). I've seen several female pilots with them. Although they go around the shoulders like a conventional backpack, they are much smaller and are considered to be more like a purse.
Well, if flying ever falls through you could write fashion columns for Cosmo!

Yank McCobb

Song and Dance Man
Total Time
I've seen guys carry them too, but they all say "It's not a purse, it's European".:D

SkyBoy1981

Bring a towel!
Total Time
Spinplate said:
Well, if flying ever falls through you could write fashion columns for Cosmo!
I doubt that I would live up to their expectations...but maybe then I could pay my car off at least. :)

BlackPilot628

Total Time
5000+
Spinplate said:
How long ago were you at Regions?
I left Corpex at the end of April this year.
I was there about 9 months.

IADBLRJ41

Total Time
enough
I have a backpack when I am gone for more than a 4 day trip.. I think it shows the trend of the airline industry when pilots are having to be gone from home more and have less commutable schedules... Maybe the airlines could get better at making more attractive schedules! Then there would be less backpacks

pilotkppsg

Frattastic
Total Time
Sorry, just couldn't resist

Holy Shiite said:
You sure that they weren't Gulfstream Academy "First Officer Trainees" going to class in the 1900 or the 120?

trip

Total Time
They usually go good with the "thick sole" Doc Marten's. Complete CFI get-up. Whenever my wife gets home from a no-rev trip she usually comments on how sloppy some of the crews were dressed, I guess I've just grown used to it.

Capt.LongThrust

Total Time
12teen
trip said:
They usually go good with the "thick sole" Doc Marten's. Complete CFI get-up. Whenever my wife gets home from a no-rev trip she usually comments on how sloppy some of the crews were dressed, I guess I've just grown used to it.
Or maybe she is trying to make you feel better. What was she doing checking them out in the first place? Hmmmmmm.