Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots wearing backpacks??? lets get campy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FedEx1 said:
I wear a backpack at Fedex. And you would, too, if you had to haul three bags up the stairs of an MD-11. But I suppose we don't count...It seems to be acceptable to carry a briefcase with a shoulder strap over your shoulder in the business world. And women wear their tennies when walking to and from work. I don't have a problem with the campy look personally.

And pilots don't have big bellies.... they have secondary stall protection.

A few points come to mind. First, and don't take this wrong, as a FedEx Engineer (I am assuming this based on your TT only), you have no public image. You deal with inanimate objects, in a dark night environment. Just you and the coworkers in view.
Second, I did lug bags up stairs, 7 legs a day. Not just my bags, but also the bags for 19 pax too, all through a door much smaller than yours. And hand flew the plane to boot. I didn't use that as an excuse to look like Woodsy the Owl going to work.
Finally, the issue of age and maturity comes up AGAIN...
Until the kids with the fast track and easy way to a jet came along, pilots conducted themselves as professionals and also presented themselves as such. Nothing is so obnoxious as the know-it-all from ABC flight academy who has not even been flying long enough to need their first flight review, yet feels it is their place to change the industry. Then in their childlike reasoning, find a way to make excuses for their immaturity.
These kids need to grow up! They want a grown up job, then for crying out loud, ACT LIKE ONE.

Oh please...

I can deduce by your gross antipathy for us "kids," coupled by your odious usage of such archaic terminology as woodsy the owl and for crying out loud, that you are some form of washed up, 40+ year old 5000 hour loser. Do you really have nothing better to occupy your time with than absurd objections to people's choice of LUGGAGE? It seems all of the childlike-reasoning and immaturity is coming from under your rock.

Pathetic.

/will now begin wearing my Social Distortion backpack on a far more regular basis while on trips.

I can deduce by your gross antipathy for us "kids," coupled by your odious usage of such archaic terminology as woodsy the owl and for crying out loud, that you are some form of washed up, 40+ year old 5000 hour loser. Do you really have nothing better to occupy your time with than absurd objections to people's choice of LUGGAGE? It seems all of the childlike-reasoning and immaturity is coming from under your rock.
Wow! :eek:

Don't hold back, man. Tell us how you really feel.

Minh
:)D)

[QUOTE=acaTerry...as a FedEx Engineer (I am assuming this based on your TT only), you have no public image.

Like I said, I suppose we don't count. What I meant by that was not a lot of people see us. But that doesn't mean we don't wear uniforms and look professional. With three bags- roller, backpack, and flight kit- and the coffee jug if I am on the MD-10- I need the backpack to help haul it up. It comes in handy on the layovers, too.

I never said it looked good on the other guys that have to fly the people. I was just saying it looks ok to us.

And we do get to fly in the daylight sometimes, and we don't melt.

PS Made it to a window seat on the mad dog, no more essential power for me.

5 pages on the topic of backpacks!! You guys are awsome! Ok...only tools wear backpacks but come on.....5 pages! Just listen to Paradoxus, although the regional pukes things is a bit harsh! 5 Pages, get a life losers!!

-Drama; im out!

Yeah, that was a bit over the top--I have nothing against regional airlines or the people that work there, it just seemed like everyone raining fire on one's choice of bag came from that corner of the ring.

Paradoxus said:
Yeah, that was a bit over the top--I have nothing against regional airlines or the people that work there, it just seemed like everyone raining fire on one's choice of bag came from that corner of the ring.

Many Flight Operations Manual prohibit backpacks.

Obviously with this many post it is a controversial issue/image.

As a professional (I hope this word is not too strong or campy for the backpack generation) the idea is to present an image. I wouldn't want controversial to be a part of my professional image.

CapnVegetto seems to turn his attitude around a little.... He was defining is professionalism by his environment and observations. It is hard to go four wheelin through unknown territorty.....in a Ford Focus.......

I'd rather our image improve...significantly. Not just in our appearance, but in our behavior and attitudes. The mantra of "I'll dress/behave better when they pay me better" is self destructive. This mantra does not place one at the table where policy and change occurs. It places one in the mosh pit with the rest of spaziods.

We can be consistantly recognized as THE 100,000 U.S. Air Carrier Pilots who are conservative, calm, professional, dedicated, well trained and will day after day safely transport passenger and cargo. And negotiate a good wage for it.

Or

When we are seen by our passengers: "Oh that's the pilot? Whatever."

Negotiate your wage from that.....

Last edited:
I use one for CDO's it is black and leather, so it will blend into my bags and uniform. If you see me with it and it looks like trash let me know. After a few CDO's my pack looks better than I do. I need my beauty sleep.
icon10.gif

Latest resources

Back