Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots wearing backpacks??? lets get campy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GotActual? said:
Im not high maintenance but as a female I dont wear the same pair of jeans every day of a four day.....

not to worry--my one bag is probably bigger than your four. it usually takes two guys to lift it into baggage of a g5 :)

PCL_128 said:
Sounds like you need to stop carrying either your lunchbox or your laptop. Your professional image shouldn't suffer just because you need to carry more bags than a high-maintenance woman going on a three week safari. :rolleyes:

Thats kinda funny....

AA
:D

8HourPilot said:
Hey Terry, you do make quite a few good points, but i assure you one thing. Not all these pilot factories create whiny little brats that carry backpacks, and never shave. I know what you are getting at, but not everyone has the shiny jet syndrome.

Just curious, what frac did you go to?

I have dealt quite a bit with academy pilots in and out of the line world. Now I can't justifiably say that the all are this way, but i have to say that60-65% of the ones I have dealt with are looking to do the minimum necessary that they can get away with, yet somehow they expect the best. I have seen and flown with some very good academy pilots, but more often than not they have that "chicks dig me, I'm cool..." etc attitude and that half-a$$ appearance. Long sideburns, spikey hair, baggy pants, etc.
I can't blame them too much, they are poisoned by the sales pitch at their schools and are never told to take each step of their flying career seriously. CFI-ing is looked at as a time builing course, those kind of things. The senior instructors get the high and mighty syndrome where they pride themselves in being feared by students, and that only feeds the lousy attitude the students get.
I think that the minimums should be raised to pre-911 days again. This way the regionals can have better quality pilots with better attitudes. I see airfare is going up again, and some airlines are even making money. Maybe this is the faint pulse of a recovery. I just hope the crews are brought up with the recovery.
Oh, you asked...I am at NJA and life is SO much better than it was at the airlines. Alot of you guys might want to give frac flying a thought.

I'll chime in as an; it's not unprofessional to wear a backpack in uniform. it's a practical tool and some folks prefer it.

what about stickers on luggage?

does it depend on the sticker?

rez? since you're the self-proclaimed authority of all that is pro or unpro....

Last edited:
BornAgainPagan said:
I'll chime in as an; it's not unprofessional to wear a backpack in uniform. it's a practical tool and some folks prefer it.

It is all about preception. What does your fellow pilot think? If you don't care what your fellow pilot thinks than you have an attitude problem.

What does your company think?

What do your passengers think?

Here is an flight bag/sticker discussion.....

At UAL (correct me if I'm wrong fellas), the company buys your bag, so they can have policy that says no stickers, including company and ALPA. Some guys do..most guys don't at UAL.

At the regionals, where the pilot has to buy his own bag, he can put whatever he likes on his bag... knowing a too risky sticker will catch the CP's attention.

I have ALPA stickers, US Flag, and of course my BAFAN Sticker. Sure no stickers would be better, but I don't think my stickers are embarrassing to my fellow pilots or would cause concern for my passengers...

I flew with a guy that a simple 'dmb' sticker..... no big deal. Considered it myself...

Now the stickers that say "I'm not a pilot, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Last Night" might be funny to the user, but the pax afraid of flying might not find comfort in it.

The Korn , NIN, Social Distortion, I am boger picker..etc.... not really sure they have a place on flight cases.....

It all comes down to attitude and perception. Are you in it for me or we? Professionals have an inherit concern for thier passengers/clients/patients. Workers just do thier job and watch the clock.

I guess I could be percieved as a self proclaimed annoying pain in the as$. My intent is to offer opinions and influence. Not dictate.....

Last edited:
BornAgainPagan said:

You and I haven't agreed on much in the past, but here's something that we have some common ground on. I'm right with ya here.

Latest resources

Back