Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots wearing backpacks??? lets get campy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is a backpack really that big of a deal? I know some flyers in the military who use them for deployments. Easier to carry am I missing something?

"so now the horse has a broke leg and a gunshot wound, if doesn't get better I'm gonna shoot it again" Larry, the cable guy

jumppilot03 said:
I'm not one to resurect old threads, but on CNN this afternoon, they were talking about the possible Delta strike and filming at ATL. They showed a captain and FO walking through the terminal, after the two walked by the camera, they zoomed in on another Delta pilot in the background waiting in line for food wearing a hat, carring a newspaper and WEARING A BACKPACK.
I guess its not just the regional guys/gals.

The man with the "cure" has left the building...

Charles Socarides, Gay 'Cure' Doctor, Dies
NEW YORK (AP) -- Charles Socarides, the psychiatrist famous for insisting that homosexuality was a treatable illness and who claimed to have "cured" hundreds, has died. He was 83.

BenderGonzales said:
I don't agree with Rez on almost ANYTHING.

I think his views on Wal-Mart are absurd. 9 time out of 10 I read his posts and think that he might be unstable.

But this time I'm behind him 100%.

We can not be expected to be treated like professionals and compensated like professionals if we are incapable of CARRYING ourselves like professionals.

That means that give the same attention to detail to the way you LOOK as you do to the way you fly your airplane.

Yes, friends. Backpacks are unprofessional. If you REALLY need that extra storage capacity, most luggage manufacturers make a "gym bag" that matches your luggage and is designed to go over the handle of your rollaboard and clip to the top.

If you were lying on the operating table, the doctor shows up wearing a t-shirt that says, "Beer: Getting White Guys Laid for 200 years", shorts, and sandles... is that ok?

If you're in a courtroom being defended by an attorney who, instead of a suit, wears a wife-beater, sweatpants, and nikes that light-up when he steps... is that ok?

Like it or not, first impressions matter. We operate in a business where a large percentage of our CUSTOMERS are first-time or nervous flyers. They hand over control of their lives to you professional pilots.

REGARDLESS of how good a "stick" you are -- they will snap to judgement of you based on your appearance. They have nothing else to go on.

REGARDLESS of how little you get paid, or how little they paid for their ticket, your obligation to be a professional is not lessened.

Maybe you kids could LEARN a little something from the older guys who are giving you a hard time -- if you would just park the attitude for a little while and LISTEN.

Or don't. And by the time YOUR kids are old enough to go to work for an airline, maybe it will be no more dignified a career than a fry-cook for McDonalds.

On my worst day I would look better wearing a backpack than most of the larda$$es that walk around the airport in their pilot costumes. The backpack is a minor infraction compared to the boiler that most are carrying around. You need to fix the entire package top to bottom. All or the leather jackets and seregetti shades in the world won't help our the sorry appearances that you see in the cockpit everyday

So the FedEx heavy captain who jumpseated with me last week was an unprofessional turd when he slung his backpack on his shoulder?

Ooooh- what about them tacky laptop cases? Or having a cell phone AND a PDA hooked to your belt? Or unshined shoes (whether they are dull or shiny to begin with)? Or those atrocious molestaches that are just wrong?

Or anybody else that doesn't look like me (white, Irish, green eyes)? How about guys that are less than 6-3, or don't wear size 13s? I mean, I look down on them already- why not?

How about laughing at those far-out Hassidic outfits, or gawking at Mennonites, or haw-hawing at a double amputee?

Sainthood must be AWESOME. I had no idea so many others were so perfect they are the arbiters of what's right. I'm fairly sure there are other things worth worrying about, unless of course you're unburdened by such mundane things as being a decent person since, you know, you're perfect and all.

Give it a fcu|<ing rest. Why you give a $hit about how regional pilots pack their laptop and food for a 4 day trip is the real problem.

Baboon robs tourist in Cape

A bag-snatching baboon accosted a woman, causing her to fall and break her arm in the Table Mountain National Park this week.

Virginia Spencer-Smith was walking along a cliff path towards a parking lot, carrying a small backpack, which did not contain food.

"Suddenly, I was pulled back over the rocks. I heard my sister-in-law shout 'give him the bag'."

Spencer managed to get one shoulder strap off as the baboon dragged her by her bag.

'Luckily he left my cellphone, purse and house keys'

"It started pulling my things out of the bag. My brother and a tourist walked up to the animal and the baboon ran off with my sarong and iron tablets. Luckily he left my cellphone, purse and house keys," she said.

"I had no idea it wasn't a good idea to carry a backpack, there should be signs warning people about carrying backpacks. When we left we saw the baboon running full tilt towards a couple on the beach, he stole their bag too," she said.

In another incident in the nature reserve, a young boy was standing with his back to a baboon, when the animal grabbed him by his T-shirt. The boy had neither food nor bag, said an eye witness.

Acting park manager Gavin Bell said all visitors were given brochures warning them about the baboons. He said the brochure detailed how the baboons were attracted by plastic packets, bags and backpacks.

Bell said signs were dotted around the park, but they could not erect too many as it would ruin the wild, remote feeling of the park, "that makes visitors come back".

He said since the baboon troop at the Cape Point section had minders who herd them away from the point, instances with people and baboons were down 95 percent.

"We will introduce extra minders to make sure that particular baboon stays with the herd," said Bell.

Regarding the baboon that grabbed the child, Bell said he had never heard of such contact between baboons and people, without food involved.

Rangers would watch the troop to establish if this is a pattern with that animal, and if it is, the baboon would be destroyed, he said.

"We take people's safety very seriously," Bell said. - Sapa
  • This article was originally published on page 5 of The Sunday Tribune on December 31, 2005

:eek:

Latest resources

Back