Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots wearing backpacks??? lets get campy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I say we outlaw bad haircuts, non-uniform coats/sweaters, oversized pens, shoes that don't reflect light, and chicks. Who's with me?

I say we outlaw bad haircuts, non-uniform coats/sweaters, oversized pens, shoes that don't reflect light, and chicks. Who's with me?__________________

Is that sarcasm, or are u a sky-nazi wannabe

This is a good opportunity to reflect on the posts of Flightinfo past.

The following was posted by an A330 Captain on Feb 4, 2004:

Hat
Don't start this crap again, please. If you don't want to look professional, act responsibly by following company procedures, and refuse to wear your hat, Get another F*****g job!
I spent too many years proudly wearing a hat and uniform to watch you little piss ants whine about wearing them. Grow up and do your job and quit complaining about yout hat.

Interesting that those who came before us are more than willing to follow their company procedures and comply with the dress code in the operations manual. It's only these young generation "Y" children who want to try and bend the rules to show how "rebelious" they can be.

I still find it amusing that these are the same guys who dress all prim and proper in their dark suit and red tie during the interview. A year later they can't be bothered to follow their company uniform code. If they can't be bothered to dress as per the company requirements, what other sections of the ops manual are they dismissing?

This is silly. If the company wants you to wear a PINK hat. Wear it. They sign the paycheck. If there's nothing in your ops manual about a backpack, then I suppose there's no argument. If you choose to look like an 18 year-old Applebees waiter rather than a professional airline pilot -- then maybe there's no stopping you.

But that's generation "y" for you.

BenderGonzales said:
This is a good opportunity to reflect on the posts of Flightinfo past.

The following was posted by an A330 Captain on Feb 4, 2004:

Hat
Don't start this crap again, please. If you don't want to look professional, act responsibly by following company procedures, and refuse to wear your hat, Get another F*****g job!
I spent too many years proudly wearing a hat and uniform to watch you little piss ants whine about wearing them. Grow up and do your job and quit complaining about yout hat.

Interesting that those who came before us are more than willing to follow their company procedures and comply with the dress code in the operations manual. It's only these young generation "Y" children who want to try and bend the rules to show how "rebelious" they can be.

I still find it amusing that these are the same guys who dress all prim and proper in their dark suit and red tie during the interview. A year later they can't be bothered to follow their company uniform code. If they can't be bothered to dress as per the company requirements, what other sections of the ops manual are they dismissing?

This is silly. If the company wants you to wear a PINK hat. Wear it. They sign the paycheck. If there's nothing in your ops manual about a backpack, then I suppose there's no argument. If you choose to look like an 18 year-old Applebees waiter rather than a professional airline pilot -- then maybe there's no stopping you.

But that's generation "y" for you.

DG,

I think it has to do more with struggle dues paying. I hopped around my 135 freight jobs trying to get break. When I did I was grateful. How is one expected to follow rules when everything is handed to them.

Right now the Y guys flying thier RJs are competing with cars on distances around 500 bucks.

The anti-authority, anti-establishment look just isn't working out for some passengers. It isn't working for me either...

BTW are you coming 'round to Wal Mart and thier evil ways? :0

Rez

I agree of course. Like most of us I did the flight instruction thing to about 1500 hours, then flew freight for another thousand hours or so in questionable multi-engine airplanes. But that was a time when Piedmont and Allegheny were the cream of the crop and required 2500 TT and a lunar-landing to get an interview!

Guess I just dont understand this generation -- or maybe i'm just jealous.

As for Wal-Mart, Fraid' not Rez. Though I intend to watch the show on "Frontline" tonight at 9. I just bought a nice winter coat (made in Italy) on Walmart.com for $55.

Some of us are just hopeless I guess. ;)

I always appreciate the debate though.

No debate, I was being sarcastic. I say we outlaw white middle aged know it alls. If someone doesn't want to wear a cover, that's their business. In the Marine Corps we wore our covers only when we were under arms. If your backing heat, go and wear that Nazi cap with pride. I'm not beating people up who think they look dabber in the threads, but I also could care less with those that don't. Grow up and let other people dress themselves.

I know you werebeing sarcastic, I can't believe there are 250 posts about this. As stated at least 125 times, your are a professioal act like it, Chief pilots shouldn't be enforcing a dress code to (hopefully) adults. If you don't like it, shut up and wear it anyway

I don't think the paying public gives a rat's butt whether a pilot carries a backpack or tows a big impressive leather flight bag or has a pretty pink fuzzy Barbie suitcase. As long as they get a cheap ticket, they don't care.

405 said:
I don't think the paying public gives a rat's butt whether a pilot carries a backpack or tows a big impressive leather flight bag or has a pretty pink fuzzy Barbie suitcase. As long as they get a cheap ticket, they don't care.

This is the spring loaded, unoriginal, crewroom, mindless, default response that the backpack wearers use.....

Next time you fly your high performance jet why not ask ten passengers any one of the following questions...

As long your ticket is cheap, do you care about your pilots appearance?

Since your ticket was cheap is it ok if your pilot looks like a backpacking mormon going to school?

Are you willing to sacrfice your pilots consummate professionalism and appearance for a cheap ticket?

You saw your pilot I-pod jammin in uniform on the way to the aircraft, as long as your ticket was at rock bottom cost, you don't mind if he jams all the way to your destination?

Now, lets talk about YOUR dollar! Apply the previous questions now that youre the consumer. Youre buying services from an accountant, tax advisor, etc...

Heck.. as long as the food is cheap, do you mind if your waitress brings your food jamming to her I-pod, smoking, sloppy hair and clothes, using profanity, drops your plate on the table and walks away... Who cares right..it is the cheapest food in town. And since she didn't bring you silverwear just lean forward and stick your snout in the trough....? In the Air Line industry that is exactly what you are saying to the passengers... Stick your snout in my trough...

This industry sucks right now but it is everyones fault and you aren't even willing to project a positive image. I hate the reactionary... Simple sheep who are a product of thier environment. They are defined by thier environment... So much for leadership... it is more like sheepship....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back