• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bluto is right on track. There will never be a "shortage" per se. Just that the flight time requirements will vary greatly. In a few years, we'll probably see hiring minimums back where they were before 9/11. But as long as there are student pilots out there, a shortage won't happen. Hiring mins. at a major might be 250TT with a Commercial-Multi, but there will never be a situation where there is more of a need for crews than certificated pilots available.

point made

While we have had this discussion once before, the point was just made again that it is a matter of experience level that changes, not supply.

That therefore is how it should be stated.....

there is a shortage of 5000 tt 1000 pic mulit turbine --as example.

two years ago, I don't think that anyone would argue that the experience level to get into an airline had dropped considerably from earlier years. these things are relative.

lastly, these statements are both relative and take in a much wider scope than stated. In short, they are worldwide and they are all pilot jobs, not just a few American carriers.

besides this, who amongst us predicted a terrorist attack in our projections.

We just put 70 pilots on the street. Half of the pilot's are 737NG pilots with type ratings and about 1000 hours PIC in the jet. They are all excellent pilot's and very highly motivated to excel in what they do. I hope they do well and get very highly paid 737BBJ jobs, they all deserve it.

Unchilled,

I wouldn't let the fact the "pilot shortage" is a myth deter you from your career goals. I started flying in the early 90's - the last time hiring was practically nill and lots of people were on the streets. It took some time for me to make it to a regional, but now that I'm here, I'm happy I stuck it out.

If flying is what you really want to do with your life than go for it - it's just a matter of time before you're doing it for a living. If you're one of those foolishly lured by Kit Darby's and the flight schools propaganda of flying for a major airlines making the big bucks in a matter of no time - forget it.

I think that the jury has returned, and the verdict is: NO shortage.

With that said, flying is a good career if you enter in with realistic expectations. It is a career that you will have little if any control over. Your career success will be based somewhat upon your timing and decisions that you made without adequate information, and largely by the decisions made by the population of pilots at large. Speaking about information to make decisions, unless you have crystal ball, there is no way to get that information. There are plenty of pilots who were hired by Pan Am, EAL, etc, who made what seemed like a great decision that later turned out to lead to a dead end.

As for where the misleading information comes from, certain companies exist that make a living by providing help in acquiring an airline job. Other companies make a living by training pilots. In an attempt to enlarge their business, they use "inovative" marketing techniques to gain customers.

It also comes word of mouth from uniformed prospective pilots who desperately want to believe that they are only weeks away from the left seat of a 747.

Good Luck, and Please don't drag us all down by ever paying for a job.

8N

Consider the source

Always consider the source of information; if they are trying to sell you a $50k flight training program, then....

No pilot shortage anyone here has seen, at any experience level, but heres to hoping! :rolleyes:

More "pilot unshortage"

Absolutely. We should all hope that the economy will improve reapidly, all of the furloughees will be recalled, and the airlines will need pilots. Don't equate "need" with "pilot shortage." There's a major difference.

However, Pub, don't forget that although companies may say they need someone with 5000 total-1000 multi PIC turbine, all they have to do, and will do, is lower the mins and voila, qualifiied, trainable applicants coming out of their ears. And, therein lies the rub.

Just as E.L. Cord discovered, there are plenty of pilots available to fly airplanes. Companies are never desperate for pilots. Pilots, though, are somtimes desperate for jobs.

The term "Pilot" may be a bit too generic to apply a concept like shortage to. There are pilots and then there are pilots.

I've been reading about and watching Airnet since before I could get my medical cert. (Finally started training last month), and Craig Washka definitely described a pilot shortage (before September). The shortage was of pilots who could fill out the applications correctly and completely, pass their sim rides, and successfully complete Airnet's training course. Just as a side note, being able to spell 'definitey' does not seem to be a requirement for any pilot job, and may even be a disqualifier:D

There seem to be a lot of Airnet pilots on this board and, from everything I've read and heard about the type of flying involved, you are all to be congratulated on being among the best civilian pilots out there.

I used to be an electronics engineer, another profession which has suffered a "shortage" since I can remember. There were always plenty of engineering school graduates to fill the jobs, but there were not many of them who could really do the job well. I suspect the same may be true of pilots.

point

that was the point Bobby,

There can be a shortage of high time 737 type rated pilots but n overall shortage.

There can be a shortage to the extent one has to drop their minimums.

There can be an abundance in the US and not worldwide.

What there will never be is a shortage of people with licenses.

There is a pilot shortage, theres a shortage of available female pilots. To date I have only met one that is single, I mean come on normal girls just never understand that much I(and most pilots) love flying. I use to work eight hours on the line, just to get a free tow right before it close up for the day. And that was ontop of my normal job that I held during the week.

Latest resources

Back