Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
counterpoint

True, Pub, there are plenty of folks with pilot certificates. I'm just one.

Now, if the airline in question held fast to its 5000 hour requirement and found no takers, then, yes, it is facing a shortage. Drop the requirement to 4000 hours and poof! the shortage vanishes. Ergo, there is no pilot shortage. Now, if it can't find anyone after dropping the requirments several times, then there is a need and people should sign up with one of Kit's 737 type providers and get typed. That fills a need. However, if Kit trumpets a need for 737 pilots when there is no such need, that is a snowjob.

I have never heard anyone talk about a pilot shortage. Now, I have heard them talk about a shortage of qualified pilots, but that is completely different. I think this may happen, and was beginning to happen before Sept 11th. Of course, that changed everything, and nobody could have predicted it. We are in a recession, and the attacks made it worse. Of course you can't rely on information that was given before the terrorist act. I think we will have a shortage of QUALIFIED pilots, but not for a couple years after it was originally going to happen. Good luck, and don't give up.

pilot shortage--Never!!

There never was, and never will be a pilot shortage. Bobbysamd put it best.

I would definitely not object to more people learning to fly for pleasure or personal business, however.

The "pilot shortage" is manufactured by Kit Darby, and money-hungry flight schools feeding off of people's hopes and dreams. I think it's sad that so many people get taken advantage of in this manner.

I think most if not all flight schools or I should say your "bigger" more notable schools are very guilty of selling the "Pilot Shortage" propaganda- They would not be as successful as they are today without some false advertising and "selling" of this idea to the young and nieve that "only" want to be "airline pilots" and thats all they want....- If it were only this easy....... But if you put things into perspective and look at this whole process that the flight schools are selling "new" airline pilot wannabes-they don't know any better and they truly believe in the flight school and have no doubts in their mind that there is a "pilot shortage"- very good marketing techinques BUT sad because this is not the case at all and by the time the would be "airline pilot" realizes this they have already sunk a large amount of money into these "programs" and for the most part their hands are tied with very few options or "ways out" to turn to...... A few prime examples are Tab Express and Kit's little money maker- BUT they market their concepts and ideas so well that the young next generation of pilots "believe" in them without knowing any better-

I don't think their will ever be a "pilot shortage" but as long as your Tab Express and Kit's of the industry are alive and well they will continue to brainwash and "sell" the ideas to the "young" next generation of pilots who only know or "want" to believe in these misconceptions... Supply will always outnumber demand in this industry.

cheers

good

I think that one has to realize though that these schools like TAB would fail if they did not have success.

You need to know that TAB just placed some of their students in the last 30 days and so the people that they placed achieved what they wanted to.

Now that is not because of a shortage as discussed.

While Bobby and I debate whether people really come to the desire for this profession because Kit or TAB or anyone else says there is a shortage, most pilots have the self confidence to believe that they can compete with anyone for the job. As long as there are some good positions out there to aspire to, there will be people to compete for them.

Desire

I think the great majority of people aspire to the profession because they love airplanes and aviation. That was my sole motivation to learn how to fly. When Kit declared there is/was a pilot shortage, that was the icing on the cake. I thought, well, gee, is this something with which moi can make a career? I found that prospect to be more than exciting; it was a dream come true.

I believe that quite a few other people want the career because of the potential to make money and enjoy a great lifestyle. Others do it because they are military pilots and flying airplanes is all they know. That does not mean they don't love aviation any less. Then, you have the son or daughter of an airline captain, whose father and maybe grandfather was an airline captain. The young person starts training because it was pre-ordained. I remember running in to one or two Riddlers who said they were flying because they had nothing else to do. These students frustrated me. Look up the Law of Readiness in the FOI.

I remember when I started my first full-time flying job that it didn't seem like work. Do it because you love it.

Shortage of experience

There may have never been a pilot shortage, but there certainly was a shortage of pilots with the potential to rapidly upgrade. In 2000 we were upgrading pilots to DA-20 Captain after three months on line as an F/O, who three years earlier would not have meet our DA-20 F/O hiring minimums. The regionals were hiring 500 hr pilots with under 100 MEL, true there were always people looking for pilots jobs, but we got real deep in the experience barrel. Air Inc provides an excellent forum, about 1/3 of our pilots come from the Air Inc. system because we get to see the guys and talk to them before we bring them in for the interview. I wish they would have had something like this in the 1980's when I was "between jobs". Pilots who avoid using thier services are missing some great opportunities to sell themselves and find out what is going on in the market. Kit Darby does a great job.

Experience Shortage

There may have never been a pilot shortage, but there certainly was a shortage of pilots with the potential to rapidly upgrade. In 2000 we were upgrading pilots to DA-20 Captain after three months on line as an F/O, who three years earlier would not have meet our DA-20 F/O hiring minimums. The regionals were hiring 500 hr pilots with under 100 MEL, true there were always people looking for pilots jobs, but we got real deep in the experience barrel. Air Inc provides an excellent forum, about 1/3 of our pilots come from the Air Inc. system because we get to see the guys and talk to them before we bring them in for the interview. I wish they would have had something like this in the 1980's when I was "between jobs". Pilots who avoid using thier services are missing some great opportunities to sell themselves and find out what is going on in the market. Kit Darby does a great job. It is $200 well spent for the latest from the mouth intelligence out there. We will be there in July and hiring.

PilotYip ... what were the mins in 2000 for Captain? For FO? You're with Ameristar, or was it Reliant? Just curious.

I take it the closest we've ever been to a 'shortage' was in the early 60s.

I spoke with an older retired UA guy at a local FBO once who told me he was picked up by United in 1963 (if I remember correctly) with a fresh Commercial ME and no high school diploma and sent to FE training on a 707. Boy ... talk about a firehose! :D

Minh
Sometimes SE Piston Corporate Geek

Last edited:
I know one of those guys. You'd be amazed how many were hired that way. I was about twelve years too young for that little hiring frenzy.

Latest resources

Back