Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's NOT always who you know

I tried to get on with SkyWest for six years. In 1988, they had low mins of 1000 total, 100 multi and 100 instrument. I was way below their multi and instrument mins in 1988, but I started sending in stuff anyway and continued to update. No response, except for their polite rejection postcards. That was fine and I understood, because I was below mins - although I would hear stories about people being hired below mins.

A year later, I had my ATP and exceeded those mins. I updated, completed an app, updated and filed a fresh application, and just got back postcards. Finally, in 1994, I heard from a former student who got on with SkyWest. She offered to walk in an app. I worked it up; I recall even including another $15 app fee to ensure I hadn't fallen through the cracks. No response. I updated once or twice more before throwing in the towel.

Point is, even knowing someone doesn't always work.

If flying is what you really want to do regardless of the so called " pilot shortage" go for it. I recommend not going to an over priced pilot factory. I think you get the same quality if not better training from a small FBO. All the little bells and whistles and the large schools is marketing, an instructor is an instructor regardless on where they teach. Good luck!

Not trying to get another debate started, just agreeing with TWC on going to a good FBO that is not overpriced. I learned at Mazzei Flying Service in Fresno, Ca. Great school and not that expensive! Got me to a regional by age 24! Earned a 4 year degree from a state college and always have that diverse educational background to back me up in case flying does not work out for me.

Latest resources

Back