Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

To those AirTran pilots wishing to comment:

I'm seriously and respectfully asking for some pro/con points, concerns from AirTran pilots expressed unemotionally as to any possible merger/acquisitions of AirTran and SWA.

As a SWA CA I have my own perspective and about the topic and have discussed it with many other SWA pilots in lounges and on SWAPA forums. However, I would be very interested in what the thoughts are from the line flying AirTran pilots who may visit this forum.

Let me say I have the utmost respect for Citrus pilots, the product they deliver and their professionalism I've seen while commuting on them and while operating out of many of the same airports. A great group of pilots in my opinion.

I'm not privy to any inside SWA info nor trying to flamebait for entertainment purposes but rather interested in the line perspective on the various topics:

1. Integration expectations, what's tolerable and what is not.
2. Fences (if any around domiciles, dealing with the 717 differences and your recommendations if a merger was to go forward)
3. Timing of discussions, i.e. would you prefer to get a contract in hand or would you prefer to have a merger offer on the table and move in that direction
4. Existing codeshares and their impact
5. ALPA representation vs. SWAPA representation
6. Culture integration and how best to blend the best of both cultures
7. Business model integrations and how the two airlines differ and how to deal with those differences if a merger was to go forward
8. Whether you would support in general terms a merger of these two airlines.

I know there are a lot of emotions that are expressed on FI and expect some to spill over even with the request to keep it professional but honestly not having many contacts with AirTran pilots other than commuters, I would be interested in your perspectives.

Thanks for commenting in advance.

chase,

IMHO, Alaska/SWA or Alaska/Air Tran are BOTH better fits and viable mergers than SWA/Air Tran.

I have heard SWA is 450 pilots fat. My largest fear is the 2 airlines would merge and after shedding shared routes, the combined airline would be 1000 pilots fat and Airtran would be on the receiving end of that mess. Both airlines are doing well and both pilots groups have a potenitally long career ahead. Airtran is smaller and younger and that poses a larger risk and potential larger benifit of remaining a stand alone carrier. I was hired at Airtran a little over 3 years ago and came here understanding what the risks were. The obvious risk is the airline fails, currently we are a strong airlines with lots of room to grow both domestically and internationally. Due to the growth potential, there is the chance i'm with an airline that will be very successful. Due to Airtran being in this position, I believe a ratio integration with fences would be fair. 7:1, 6:1 (depending on amount of SWA pilots). If the airlines were to merge I would only be in favor if the airlines had a plan of growth in mind more than a consolidation. It is all about keeping my job....In no way should Airtran pilots lose their jobs because another airline has too many pilots. In my opinion Airtran pilots culture is in line with SWA pilots, management, on the other hand, are total opposites. The management groups of both airlines NEED to sell a merger to us rather than force it. If it is not in the interest of Airtran pilots we will prevent it at all costs. Airtran has proved in many locations (BWI wil have 72 departures this summer and is our highest yeild market) that we can successfully compete with SWA. For the fall schedule SWA is cutting many routes that are shared with Airtran.

It really doesn't matter what we think, it's what the arbitrator thinks. I know the SWAPA pilots would go out of their way to screw us or any other airline (think F9) and we would never agree to it. So, if will don't like what SWAPA tries to sell us, we will tell them to go pound sand and wait for the mediators decision.

It really doesn't matter what we think, it's what the arbitrator thinks. I know the SWAPA pilots would go out of their way to screw us or any other airline (think F9) and we would never agree to it. So, if will don't like what SWAPA tries to sell us, we will tell them to go pound sand and wait for the mediators decision.

That is why it will never happen. You either take what they give you and be glad that you were offered it or you join the ranks of F9 with Republic.
Your decision if it ever is offered. You should hope you get the chance to take the offer.

That is why it will never happen. You either take what they give you and be glad that you were offered it or you join the ranks of F9 with Republic.
Your decision if it ever is offered. You should hope you get the chance to take the offer.

LOL! Thanks! I'm guessing you are new and at the bottom of the list. Man, I can't wait to go back to LBB and ELP! Have fun raising the gear for me tough guy!

The F9 guys screwed themselves. We never got past first base, they had their legs so tight together no amount of KY would help. Denver base protection (forever!) $3000 a month for F9 furloughed Pilots (forever!), Medical coverage forever......GMAFB :laugh: Who was bankrupt?

Last edited:
LOL! Thanks! I'm guessing you are new and at the bottom of the list. Man, I can't wait to go back to LBB and ELP! Have fun raising the gear for me tough guy!

I will never pull the gear for you. You might pull gear for an F9 guy or mabe for one of the RJ pilots.

Not so fast

When you say we (SWAPA) were going to screw F9 you are not telling the truth, are not very well informed, or are just trying to create flame bait. F9 wanted a relative SL. They wanted their number 1 to be #2 at SWA, their #2 would be #4 etc. They were totally unwilling to try and work anything other than that. They also wanted $4000 a month for all pilots on furlough in addition to COBRA payments for an indefinite period, another issue they would not budge from.

I don't think anyone at SWAPA expects a staple of any kind and would provide a big fence for Atlanta (and our Doms also). It's post like yours that don't paint a fair picture. I fly Air Tran every week and it's is a great airline. If you want to stir hate and discontent then go some place else.

Latest resources

Back