• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Perspectives on an AirTran and SWA merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Absolutely. It's one thing to compete against Delta, but another thing entirely to compete against Delta in their fortress hub AND a strong number two who has a lower CASM. Not smart, even if you could get the gates.

You are right on the mark. I'm pretty sure that's why you won't see any SWA metal in ATL today or anytime in the near future.

So, I hope things go well there. But I really hope we just go into ATL on our own.
Well, can't disagree with you there, which I think is generally the tone of just about everyone on this thread...

Ben..gotta disagree with ya on thinking that SWA did not want a staple (F9). To really understand this we have to explore a little deeper. I personally believe that a staple (or near staple) in this instance complied with fair and equitable. All I have seen is another airline getting huge raises and bennies if they are bought by SWA. They want all the goodies and they want to keep their relative seniority (or better). They say that they are bringing different cities....well that goes both ways. To me that is not fair and equitable. There is a difference between F9 and AT. There is also a difference between the current AT and a possible AT after a good contract. Fair and equitable will be determined from a point in time. That will make a big difference if a deal ever goes down.

FWIW, I hope this all comes to nothing. I think SWA will be better off if they grow within.

Latest resources

Back