PCL ALPA sues Pinnacle Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Clear violation of the RLA.
I'm not a labor attorney, but the bonus program clearly appears to be a violation of the collective bargaining process, as required by the Railway Labor Act, (you know, that thing that prevents you from going on strike and allows managment to employ highly profitable delaying tactics for years-on-end).

Management(s) has shown that they will use the RLA to keep labor chained to the bargaining table and make you continue to work under an expired, substandard contract for as long as it benefits THEM.

Here's my question/suggestion; instead of a lawsuit seeking injunctive relief, what if ALPA filed a Declaratory Judgement Action asking the court to declare the bonus program to be in bad faith and in violation of the collective bargaining agreement? Assuming that Pinnacle management continued to offer bonuses to new-hire pilots, would the Declaratory Judgement ruling give the pilot group an "out", allowing the pilots to go on strike, without regard to the RLA?

Food for thought. Maybe a lawsuit seeking injunctive relief is not the best move ALPA can make at this point. Use management's acts of bad faith against them.

Now that's interesting. TWU is telling the 9E dispatchers that unions have no problem with the company paying out a bonus while in negotiations with a group.

Last edited:
-Only the NMB can declare an impasse and release the two parties to 'self help'. It is probably beyond a Federal Court's authority to order a release.

-The biggest problem with the 'bonuses' was the discrimintory way they were being paid. Management even put out a memo describing how some classes would get them and some would not. At the same time they were advertising these bonuses they are considering doing away with paid lodging and per diem during training to recoupe the expense of the bonuses. Don't be surprised if you show up for class and they announce no hotels for your class.

-Only the NMB can declare an impasse and release the two parties to 'self help'. It is probably beyond a Federal Court's authority to order a release.

That's not the way ALPA Legal interprets it. Legal's interpretation is that if a judge declares a breach of status quo, then he can declare a release to self help.

So I can't collect on the $500 they offered me for stickin' it out here six months? ;)

The only way to screw a company is with fuel. Bottom line is the guy who has his hand on the throttle is in charge. Start using max t.o off thrust, and put the landing gear down 50miles out, donot take directs only flt plan route and only do full procedures. After a month of that and 20percent full used increase, you guys will have a contract. Trust me. This works better than strikes.

The only way to screw a company is with fuel. Bottom line is the guy who has his hand on the throttle is in charge. Start using max t.o off thrust, and put the landing gear down 50miles out, donot take directs only flt plan route and only do full procedures. After a month of that and 20percent full used increase, you guys will have a contract. Trust me. This works better than strikes.

However, you would have to change your negotiating tactics from "Professional Pilots Wanting a Professional Contract" to "A$$hole Pilots Holding the Airline Hostage". As long as it takes, I'd rather get a contract by being honest and part of the most professional pilot group in the industry than using terrorism tactics.

It only works when every one does it... An Army of One is futile....

Everyone does it when critial mass is reached..

I agree, but Rez is also correct. It doesn't do any good when only a handful of pilots are doing it. It has to reach the point that it did at ASA where a large portion of the pilot group is doing it. Writing up airplanes at outstations is also a very effective way to deal with it, and the NetJets pilots used that tactic with great results. The problem is that the union can't get involved and tell everyone to do it, so it has to happen from the grass roots. Things usually have to drag on for quite a while for a real grass roots movement to get started. It took the line pilots at ASA five years to get to that point.

I don't know if the fuel issue would work with Pinnacle. The new Airline Services Agreement states that NWA pays for all of the fuel. At this point you have to wonder in the guys in the palace would rather pay the penalties to NW than get a contract.

Latest resources

Back