PCL ALPA sues Pinnacle Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Disregard Mesaba 2425

Mesaba 2425 has always been a pimple on the arse of flightinfo, hasn't been around for a while and he does not represent Mesaba in any way, shape, or form. Give 'em hell 9E guys and gals!

MM

This is not about the union trying to block new FOs from receiving bonuses (by the way, the company reneged on them), but it's about getting the company to stop stalling and give the pilot group what they deserve.

They have been paying the OE completion bonus as far as I know. All new hires I've talked to in the last month or so all got it including myself.

If and when the union also shoots down the proposed raise to the F/O's, it doesnt make the union look too good to any new hires that dont understand the history of the contract negotiations.

Personally, I think they can take that proposed raise and shove it up their arse's if it means a better contract in the long run, but I'm keeping the bonus.

flyf15 is right on the money!! This is simply amazing. If this doesn't show how out of touch with reality unions are, I don't know what will. I would think that they would be happy that the new hires are getting a little extra money. Many businesses use signing bonuses. It's nothing new. The real issue here is that most of the current ALPA members didn't get bonuses when they signed on and are upset that somebody else got something they didn't. That's the union way!!

You ought to put down the crack pipe. You never know when you'll get one of those "random" drug tests.....

Everybody, just ignore mesaba2425. Back in the Mesaba negotiations days, he was all over this board spreading management kool-aid BS. He gets his jollies by kissing management ass. Best bet is to just pretend he isn't here.

Everybody, just ignore mesaba2425. Back in the Mesaba negotiations days, he was all over this board spreading management kool-aid BS. He gets his jollies by kissing management ass. Best bet is to just pretend he isn't here.

Stick your head in the sand and ignore the obvious if you want. The truth hurts and I haven't typed anything on this forum that wasn't the truth.

Is the union upset because they don't get a cut of the bonus??

This message is hidden because mesaba2425 is on your ignore list

Clear violation of the RLA.

I'm not a labor attorney, but the bonus program clearly appears to be a violation of the collective bargaining process, as required by the Railway Labor Act, (you know, that thing that prevents you from going on strike and allows managment to employ highly profitable delaying tactics for years-on-end).

Management(s) has shown that they will use the RLA to keep labor chained to the bargaining table and make you continue to work under an expired, substandard contract for as long as it benefits THEM.

Here's my question/suggestion; instead of a lawsuit seeking injunctive relief, what if ALPA filed a Declaratory Judgement Action asking the court to declare the bonus program to be in bad faith and in violation of the collective bargaining agreement? Assuming that Pinnacle management continued to offer bonuses to new-hire pilots, would the Declaratory Judgement ruling give the pilot group an "out", allowing the pilots to go on strike, without regard to the RLA?

Food for thought. Maybe a lawsuit seeking injunctive relief is not the best move ALPA can make at this point. Use management's acts of bad faith against them.

You can bet that this lawsuit was very tightly reviewed by ALPA, and the purpose is clear and plain: cut off the company's access to new FOs and they will slowly starve. Allowing them to unilaterally increase rates for only a particular group is illegal, period. Their inability to hire in sufficient numbers pressures them to respond. They will respond violently.....like cornered rats. There is a way out....negotiate and close a deal. They will have to bleed from an open artery before doing so.

Despite the objections of Pinnacle ALPA leaders, Pinnacle launched a program paying a new-hire pilot $750 after the pilot completes the last phase of pilot training, the complaint said. In addition, the pilot would earn $500 after six months of service.

It just changed, apparently... now it's just $750 after 6 months of completion of OE.

Latest resources

Back