• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PBS is coming to Express Jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Legacy XJet? Sounds a little self-important don't you think?

Wow, an SKW clown calling me self important. Yeah, not so much. That is how it is being referred to within the combined company. Legacy XJT, Legacy ASA.

I know you guys are eager for us to sign a new contract so you can reap your unearned reward. Unfortunately, it's gonna be a while.

Last edited:
Read between the lines in one of the latest Com's. Do you want to know more? You should! The camel is about to stick his nose in the tent!

We got an email from the MEC about this about five days ago and they also had an all pilot conference call in which they explained the why, what, when, and how of this PBS. Yes, it's definitely the camels nose under the tent.

Here is my editorial on this. I think it's BRILLIANT in the part of the XJT MEC. The company wants to reduce open time that's left over after the SLIW. Also, they can use the old AdOpt VTO software that it's already spent to create the relief lines (they can use any software they want) in order to minimize open time. Our scheduling committee has said that VTO would not be good for the pilots. Also, the committee has said that if the MEC decides to pursue PBS in the joint contract, FlightLine would not be good for our pilots but there is only ONE software provider they would recommend. Also, the other MEC has been adamant about sticking to Flightline regardless of anything telling the opposition that they were bought by ASA, XJT was going BK, and they must get on board. The XJT MEC proposed that for the joint contract we go with the XJT line bidding and work rules and use this one acceptable PBS software for relief and reserve lines. The other MEC scoffed at the idea and stuck to their Flightline only guns. So now the XJT MEC comes up with a way to satisfy the company's desire to reduce open time with this nifty PBS software and in the meantime persuade the company that this is the system to go with if we do decide to have PBS in the joint contract and showing them exactly how our line bidding and work rules with this PBS software for relief/reserve lines would be better for everyone rather than either of the two current bidding systems.

By the way, if it is the software I think it is, it is pretty novel way of bidding. Even though we would lose some advantages to our current line bidding system and work rules, this would definitely be the type of PBS software we should use if we decide to do that in the joint contract.

This will definitely change some people's feelings on PBS.

Last edited:
We got an email from the MEC about this about five days ago and they also had an all pilot conference call in which they explained the why, what, when, and how of this PBS. Yes, it's definitely the camels nose under the tent.

Here is my editorial on this. I think it's BRILLIANT in the part of the XJT MEC. The company wants to reduce open time that's left over after the SLIW. Also, they can use the old AdOpt VTO software that it's already spent to create the relief lines (they can use any software they want) in order to minimize open time. Our scheduling committee has said that VTO would not be good for the pilots. Also, the committee has said that if the MEC decides to pursue PBS in the joint contract, FlightLine would not be good for our pilots but there is only ONE software provider they would recommend. Also, the other MEC has been adamant about sticking to Flightline regardless of anything telling the opposition that they were bought by ASA, XJT was going BK, and they must get on board. The XJT MEC proposed that for the joint contract we go with the XJT line bidding and work rules and use this one acceptable PBS software for relief and reserve lines. The other MEC scoffed at the idea and stuck to their Flightline only guns. So now the XJT MEC comes up with a way to satisfy the company's desire to reduce open time with this nifty PBS software and in the meantime persuade the company that this is the system to go with if we do decide to have PBS in the joint contract and showing them exactly how our line bidding and work rules with this PBS software for relief/reserve lines would be better for everyone rather than either of the two current bidding systems.

By the way, if it is the software I think it is, it is pretty novel way of bidding. Even though we would lose some advantages to our current line bidding system and work rules, this would definitely be the type of PBS software we should use if we decide to do that in the joint contract.

Bingo!!!

Any xjt pilot in the bottom 80% system wide would be crazy to vote yes on a TA with pbs. Why? Pbs honors seniority. It will give the top 20% more control and the bottom less. If giving up control of your schedule to the senior guys is your thing then vote yes on pbs... As for the pbs for the secondary bid, we'll see if that's a good thing or not.

11 year, about 62% CRJ Capt here. I do admit to not knowing much of Xjet's "schedule enhancement" stuff, but I can say that I am much happier with PBS than with our old line bidding. One can not expect to go from working 4 days over the weekend to 3 day weekends off with PBS. I worked all weekends with line bidding. With PBS, I can lump trips together and have a weekend off or many partial weekends. I can even schedule a week off without taking vacation. It is an absolute winner in how to bid. Now, its not perfect and here are some ideas to fix it.

1. we need to start the whole process sooner each month. Sucks waiting.

2. we need to be able to swap more after award before month starts. Perhaps with methods used by xjet's old system.

3. we need staffing ratios to the flying.

4. we need control of the pairing construction.
Base it on pilot surveys. Different folks what different stuff, so build a blend.

Thats a good starter for me. We don't need to be the each others enemy nor the company's. I like flying just like you. Being junior is just that. Better schedules to those who have endured the most.

11 year, about 62% CRJ Capt here. I do admit to not knowing much of Xjet's "schedule enhancement" stuff, but I can say that I am much happier with PBS than with our old line bidding. One can not expect to go from working 4 days over the weekend to 3 day weekends off with PBS. I worked all weekends with line bidding. With PBS, I can lump trips together and have a weekend off or many partial weekends. I can even schedule a week off without taking vacation.

You would be able to do all of that using our line bidding and initial line improvement window. You could then further tweak your line in the secondary window.

With our system, once you learn how to use it, you could have a 12 day off line working most weekends and turn it into a 17 day off line with all weekends off. Trust me, I've done it.

Not disputing your claims but I asked our CA rep in Atlanta last week about the software we used to make the CRJ-200 Dec lines, which is what you guys use, and he said the company likes it and so do they and to look for it to be used in the future. So I hope our neg guys aren't sticking to flightline now that yours has been proven to allow more days off and less TAFB. It makes you work your A__ off but as long as it gives us more off time I'm all for it!!

I love PBS personally, it's all a matter of opinion and knowledge of the system, I've had better lines with it every month since using it. I think that a mix and match between our current systems is the right fit going forward, as it should be! Good post

Not disputing your claims but I asked our CA rep in Atlanta last week about the software we used to make the CRJ-200 Dec lines, which is what you guys use, and he said the company likes it and so do they and to look for it to be used in the future. So I hope our neg guys aren't sticking to flightline now that yours has been proven to allow more days off and less TAFB. It makes you work your A__ off but as long as it gives us more off time I'm all for it!!

I love PBS personally, it's all a matter of opinion and knowledge of the system, I've had better lines with it every month since using it. I think that a mix and match between our current systems is the right fit going forward, as it should be! Good post

That's the pairing generator you are talking about. Flightline and this other PBS software we are going to use for relief/reserve lines are totally different from each other and from a pairing generator.

Not disputing your claims but I asked our CA rep in Atlanta last week about the software we used to make the CRJ-200 Dec lines, which is what you guys use, and he said the company likes it and so do they and to look for it to be used in the future.

That's the pairing generator you are talking about. Flightline and this other PBS software we are going to use for relief/reserve lines are totally different from each other and from a pairing generator.

As Nevets said, it was ONLY the pairing generator that was used for December. It was STILL the ASA PBS software that built the awarded lines. What it did was build pairings that were way more productive that ASA pairing generator was doing.

Big big difference.

Nerds

I wish I could graph the "time contributed to bitching on FI" against the "difference actually made toward said bitched about subject"........... somewhere around zero, maybe?

Last edited:
Just realize that if PBS is adopted that the benefit of your present vacation setup is gone. Where you now have in language that if your vaca touches a trip it gets paid, well, that's over. With PBS your ability to collude a trip with your vaca can't happen, gigantic huge benefit to the company.

Think about all the things you will give up?

And if you do go the way of PBS, please don't go with AOS, lots of variables the company can manipulate that can't be controlled because there is not one single person that really understands the program!

Latest resources

Back