• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pay raise for Hawaiian Airlines CEO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Holy cow!!! AQ PILOT for PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!

I went to Brenneman's meeting with ALPA membership from HAL, AQ, and WP, and man... to say that I was shocked was an understatement. So much crap was thrown AQ's way... I've heard that line too "AQ people haven't suffered enough." What kind of a sick individual thinks like that? Even in the newspaper, several self-righteous assholes made themselves as well as the entire HAL pilot group look like a bunch of angry teenagers.

I really hope it doesn't pan out that way again if we make another go at it. I hope that this time the HAL employees would reign in the hotheads and continue to display the true class act that they show me every time I catch a ride with them.

Aren't HAL's revenues about double of AQ's? As a privately help Co. we'll never know the exact details of AQ's finances. I think the fact that a court removed HAL's CEO, we can safely say that a CH.11 was avoidable. But HAL is flying Adam's business plan and making $$.

If there were one HI airline, I think that it could be good. There are supposedly 8 717's available. And with AQ's routes to the mainland and others, the 5-7+ 757's it would take to be worth the added aircraft type, we'd be able to make up much of the combined flying.

But AQ has 2 big things HAL wasn't burdened with: 1)a fleet of aircraft that would have to be moved on/retired and 2) a bunch of outstanding loans. HAL never has taken the loans AQ has post-9/11. And paid off all its debts whele emerging from Ch. 11.

I just don't know how all of this works. HAL isn't as strong as AA was when they bought all of TWA's debt and AA flew some TWA aircraft for at least a while.

If the HA & AQ fleets were compatible it would seem to be a no-brainer merge. With the dissimilar fleets and AQ debt it seems very sticky. However the seniority lists are joined, I think that the HAL guys feel that what each Co. brings to the table to make the combined airline (as in $'s, business plan, and aircraft type) needs to be a big consideration.

I am truly just waiting for whatever is announced.

The given reason for lack of current HAL expansion, which makes a lot of sense, is the tight 767-300ER market. This is a strange time while the industry waits for the next generation aircraft.

There are very few ETOPS 763's with pratt engines that also aren't beat to s**t. Boeing doesn't want to build you a new one without a 20 year commitment and (thankfully for us, HAL doesn't want 767's for that long). A good consequence of these high fuel prices is that a 30% reduction in operating costs sure looks attractive (with the 787).

So, that is why Hawaiian isn't now expanding, yet is looking diligently. They are also not recalling because "we" signed new concessions making the airline look a bit over-staffed.

Ah, what a keyboard and too much coffee can do. You sure are silent mdanno, you've usually got a lot to say about topics like these.

Aloha.

Personally, I don't see the big difference in fleets. They are airplanes, all Boeing. How frickin' difficult can it be?

As for being privately held....dude you have no idea....there is no one over here that trusts what goes on in the 'accounting' department. I doubt there is a soul here who wouldn't rather be publicly traded like HAL. I'll wholeheartedly give you the slam-dunk-no-argument-you-win-hands-down on that one.

Still, something aint right with the mentality between our two groups. I stand firmly by the fact that if HAL and AQ were one company it would be, how you say, much mo' bettah for the company, employees, and even the consumers. Think of the savings in the business plan.....no more competition, half the advertising (oh wait, we don't advertise...disregard), one res center, the list goes on and on....

Let me ask you this fizzle. While I know you would never wish us ill will, how would you feel if AQ liquidated and disappeared and HAL doubled in size to become the only Hawaiian carrier? That would be ok wouldn't it? Again, knowing you wish us no ill will, you would love that wouldnt you? I would if the roles were reversed. It's the best case answer. Now rather than bring in a whole bunch of new pilots from all over, I'd still rather see that new company staffed with guys like you and I. I just don't see the problem....

I still think if we could severely limit competition it would allow this Company to expand like no tomorrow. The State would totally back us...

Ok, coffee wearing off....

Let me ask you this fizzle. While I know you would never wish us ill will, how would you feel if AQ liquidated and disappeared and HAL doubled in size to become the only Hawaiian carrier? That would be ok wouldn't it? Again, knowing you wish us no ill will, you would love that wouldnt you? I would if the roles were reversed. It's the best case answer. Now rather than bring in a whole bunch of new pilots from all over, I'd still rather see that new company staffed with guys like you and I. I just don't see the problem....

I still think if we could severely limit competition it would allow this Company to expand like no tomorrow. The State would totally back us...

Ok, coffee wearing off....[/QUOTE]

Ok,

Yes I do think that if AQ liquidated, HAL would be morally obligated to bring on as many AQ folks as possible.

I have heard that the market for 757's is tight too, so I don't know where the aircraft for mainland expantion would come from. The type of aircraft are VERY relevant here.

There are too many rumors flying around the Islands to account for here.

Good luck everyone.

Just got back from a 17 hour day flying in crap weather, and am beat. This thread has gotten interesting huh? Want my opinion? Well I'll give it to you anyway. This "merger" is totally theoretical at best. Rumor and conjecture is all we have at this point, and I have way too much going on in my fuct up life to get too worked up over something that at this point in time does not exist. My personal opinion at this minute (could change tomorrow) is don't sweat this too much. Does a merger make a lot of sense to me right now? Probably not. I certainly hope that the allmighty Dunk knows what he's doing, and that he wouldn't enter in to something that would bankrupt the company (again). God knows I don't want my furlough extended one day more than it has to be, so of course a merger would concern me. I was against the last merger attempt strictly due to a fear of being furloughed. Guess what? I was furloughed anyway.

The biggest problem with this "merger talk" is that it is getting emotional, when it shouldn't be. No one (at least that I know) at Hawaiian wishes any of the Aloha pilot's any hardships. I personally have many friends at Aloha, and hope that they all have long, successful careers ahead of them at AQ. I am also sure that most of the AQ pilot's wish the best for Hawaiian and it's pilots. The days of bad blood between AQ and HAL are over, and I hope that it remains that way. All of the arguments, pro or anti merger are not meant to be "my airline is better than yours" statements.

Flicker Fade, myself, and the rest of the furloughed HAL pilots feel very strongly about the airline, and it's success (as well as our recall). We have watched our airline go Chapter 11, our CEO removed, our company turn aircraft back to Boeing, and a scum bag trustee drag out the bankruptcy for 2 years, hoping that sooner or later, some progress would be made, and we'd be recalled. Almost three years later now, Hawaiian has been making money pretty consistently, they got rid of Gottbuam, and are talking about expansion. The furloughed are finally thinking that there may be an end to their misery in sight. Que merger rumor. Of course it rattles the guys and gals who were finally hoping that they would be back in their comfy 76 in the near future. Of course it stirs up emotions, and of course it wories the hell out of them. It in no way has anything to do with Aloha, or it's pilots.

I guess I am a little worried about how things will turn out, but no one on this board has any power to do anything but complain (which we all will). I have spent the last 3 years giving myself an ulser worrying about this crap, and I am just too tired to continue to do so.

mdanno808 said:
No one (at least that I know) at Hawaiian wishes any of the Aloha pilot's any hardships. I personally have many friends at Aloha, and hope that they all have long, successful careers ahead of them at AQ. I am also sure that most of the AQ pilot's wish the best for Hawaiian and it's pilots. The days of bad blood between AQ and HAL are over, and I hope that it remains that way. All of the arguments, pro or anti merger are not meant to be "my airline is better than yours" statements.

I heard a HAL pilot at the "Brenneman Show" say verbatim "Aloha people haven't suffered enough." If I were a HAL pilot, that guy would have gotten a healthy dose from me right then and there at that meeting in front of EVERYONE because he disgraced the entire pilot group with these kinds of remarks.

Like I said, when I jumpseat on HAL, I'm treated AWESOME about 98% of the time. Every airline has 2-5% 'asshole-factor" and one of the now-retired, legendary check airmen at Aloha told me 'you just look at them, smile, and say, THANK YOU - glad I'm not one.'

I just hope that should there be a merger again, that the animosity won't be evident in the cockpit. It's a long 5 hour flight to be putting up with petty crap that neither guy had anything to do with. Last merger - I'd be bringing popcorn on the jumpseat just to watch what goes on after leveling off, or bring a striped black/white shirt and ref the fight.

Freight Dog said:
I heard a HAL pilot at the "Brenneman Show" say verbatim "Aloha people haven't suffered enough."

You are right, there are always a couple of idiots at every airline. I've found them at all the airlines I've worked for.

mdanno808 said:
Flicker Fade, myself, and the rest of the furloughed HAL pilots feel very strongly about the airline, and it's success (as well as our recall). We have watched our airline go Chapter 11, our CEO removed, our company turn aircraft back to Boeing, and a scum bag trustee drag out the bankruptcy for 2 years, hoping that sooner or later, some progress would be made, and we'd be recalled. Almost three years later now, Hawaiian has been making money pretty consistently, they got rid of Gottbuam, and are talking about expansion. The furloughed are finally thinking that there may be an end to their misery in sight. Que merger rumor. Of course it rattles the guys and gals who were finally hoping that they would be back in their comfy 76 in the near future. Of course it stirs up emotions, and of course it wories the hell out of them. It in no way has anything to do with Aloha, or it's pilots.

Probably the best and most concise description of what we've been through I've seen yet. Thanks mdanno.

AQ PILOT said:
Still, something aint right with the mentality between our two groups.

That is the real world situation between any two pilot groups when seniority is involved. There has never yet been any merger/acquisition/etc where the two groups get along great, because of the seniority issue. When your experience, pay scale, and seniority are not portable between companies, pilots will fight to the death to protect as much of their seniority as possible.

I do hope it is a false rumor. If not, you can bet that flicker, mdanno, myself, and the rest of the furloughees will fight with everything we have to preserve our places on the HA seniority list. We've fought too hard to let bad business decisions take it away from us.

I also hope that this: http://www.hawaiianair.com/about/corporate/NewsRelease/Section_489.asp

isn't the 'big news' we've been hearing so much about. The marketing guys probably love it, but it means nothing for the rest of us.

HAL

Last edited:
Here's what I know. Dunkerly has been asked point blank if there is any truth to the rumor? his answer was "no comment" so read what you want in that. During an informal Q and A in the lounge he did make some points. #1 he said he was very sensitive to the seniority issues and IF there was any deal it would have to include the furloughed pilots. He said they have no interest in Alohas route structure. When asked what is of interest, he said the gates and the inter-island traffic. He said as we speak (8/19) Hawaiian has a team in Australia looking at 8 717's. He said even the 757 is too small for us and they are continuing to look for more 767's. But for sure, any purchase of Aloha assets would not include their trans-pac flying becoming part of Hawaiian Air.

Now before any AQ folks jump on me, let me make some more points. I was in favor of the merger before. Who knows, but if I was betting on it, under Brenneman I don't think any HAL pilots would be on furlough now and I think we would have had about 20 inter-island 717's and a big enough fleet of 767/757's that no one would have been furloughed. Those who got there wish of sticking with Adam's rather than going with Brenneman didn't realize how close to the edge we would get. Anyway, it's water under the bridge.
Now for thinking out of the box, when Dunkerly says they are not intersted in Alohas current business plan and that any deal would first have to include ALL furloughed pilots being back, that doesn't neccesarily mean the AQ pilots have to be screwed. Hawaiian has been looking at generating it's own feed on the mainland. The Chief Pilot confirmed that 717's based in LAS IS being looked at. Who's to say the 8 717's in Australia aren't for inter-island and Alohas 737's couldn't all be based in LAS as a hub feeding our vegas flights? Ranch has a lot of money and they are looking at every opportunity to expand, they know what they are doing and will jump on anything that makes sense.
Finally, the point has been made already, both airlines have a tight pilot group and both airlines have a few arseholes. It's a little foolish to take any comment personally, the arseholes opinions say more about who they are than who they are talking about. The vast majority of pilots at both airlines get along just fine, we all have friends at both. The best man at my wedding was a fellow Hawaiian pilot married to a Aloha FA.
For the Aloha folks, I do have to say, I agree with what everyone feels here, any expansion of Hawaiian with our assets has to include our furloughed pilots first and foremost. We have come a long way and they are part of us that will not be forgotten, Dunkerly seems to agree with the pilots that any deal with our money has to be good for EVERY Hawaiian pilot. That said perhaps there is some synergy between Hawaiian and the redeployment of Alohas assets that could benefit everyone.
It's waaay to soon to start the name calling. Hawaiian is looking at lots of options and I'm sure Aloha is looking at all their options too.

Latest resources

Back